Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:17:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin be sold/given back?  (Read 865 times)
firewire2013 (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:28:29 PM

Probably a ludicrous question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Miners are paid for there effots in BTC, then the money is either spent or converted to cash. Instead of selling the coin to an exchange, could the network (using some crazy ass algorithm) buy those coin's back, thus prolonging the 21 million threshold. As im writing this im thinking, perpetual motion.  Huh

BTC: 1BbJmzqcxnJEc3gPcBFbjoUnRB9WGHZ3Cf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:36:09 PM

I think you're asking if the coins can be un-mined. No, that's not really possible or desirable. The "network" isn't a single entity but a collection of efforts by people all around the world where agreement is necessary for any change. No one would want to and their is no real reason to vaporize coins. Also, you win the prize for the most unusual newbie question I've ever heard. Congratulations!

Unbelive

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:51:17 PM

could the network (using some crazy ass algorithm) buy those coin's back???

Why would they do that and who would give those bit coins? nothing comes from thin air. Someone might do it, if they find a reason why. but you did not stated a reason.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:24:28 PM

yes, very unusual question.

even if you could do this, what would the network give you in return
for the coins?

noma

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:27:28 PM

Miners are paid for there effots in BTC, then the money is either spent or converted to cash. Instead of selling the coin to an exchange, could the network (using some crazy ass algorithm) buy those coin's back, thus prolonging the 21 million threshold. As im writing this im thinking, perpetual motion.  Huh

That would be a centralized approach for bitcoin and might kill the purpose of having a decentralized currency.

▓▓▓▓    New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange             → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓    Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:38:35 PM

You seem to be asking 2 unrelated questions and then mashing them together somehow into a sentence that contains words but that doesn't actually make sense.  I suspect that this is largely due to a lack of knowledge about what mining is, how it works, and what it accomplishes.

Your first question seems to be about "using some crazy ass algorithm" to some how take bitcoins that have been created and uncreate them.  It actually is possible for any miner to "unmine" bitcoins if they want to.

When solving a block a miner is allowed to assign to himself a reward that is no greater than the sum of the current block subsidy and the transaction fees from all the transactions included in the block.  "No greater than" means that it can be less than.  In other words, the miner can solve and broadcast a block that pays himself no block reward at all.  This means that the 25 BTC that he would have received is never created in the first place.  It also means that all of the transaction fees from all the transactions in the block are "vaporized".  They just cease to exist.  This reduces the total number of bitcoins that will ever exist, and it has actually happened in the past (meaning that we will actually fall over 100 bitcoins short of 21 million when all the bitcoins have been mined.

There is no good reason for a miner to do this (especially with bitcoins exchanging at a rate of over $300 per bitcoin).  Essentially a miner is doing all the work, and then saying, "No, I'm not interested in $7500.  I'll just destroy it instead."  It has only ever occurred from bugs in mining software which are quickly identified and fixed, obviously.

Your second question seems to be about "perpetual motion" (I assume you mean "perpetual mining"?).  If I understand correctly, you would like for the bitcoins that have already been created to be used to reward miners in the future for creating blocks, even after the block subsidy is reduced to 0 BTC.  I've got a big surprise for you.  This is exactly how bitcoin is designed, and how it is intended to work in the long term.  Participants in the network create transactions that use bitcoins that were mined in the past.  To encourage miners to confirm their transaction, they voluntarily include a transaction fee that is also taken from bitcoins that were created in the past.  These transaction fees are "paid back into the network" to reward the miners that confirm the blocks that include the transactions.  Therefore, the miners continue to be rewarded by the network for the work they are doing from bitcoins that were created in the past and are being "sold back to the network" in exchange for priority confirmations.
caga

Activity: 238

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 08:11:34 PM

In this case the network would behave like a  bank, and I don't think they would look forward to take a loss.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 09:29:32 PM

If someone wants to give their coins to miners, all they have to do is pay a transaction fee. Anyway, perpetual motion is impossible, even if powered by bitcoin.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 11:44:36 PM

Miners are paid for there efforts in BTC, then the money is either spent or converted to cash. Instead of selling the coin to an exchange, could the network (using some crazy ass algorithm) buy those coin's back, thus prolonging the 21 million threshold. As I'm writing this I'm thinking, perpetual motion.  Huh

This is outside of the ruleset and not possible.
charlieSeen

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 06:05:53 AM

If someone wants to give their coins to miners, all they have to do is pay a transaction fee. Anyway, perpetual motion is impossible, even if powered by bitcoin.
Right. Plus all that this proposal would do would be to sell the coins the miners mined, but without the extra step of sending the mined coins to an exchange
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 06:11:10 AM

You can technically "unmine" a bitcoin by including it in the transaction fee, thus allowing a miner to collect it after solving a block.

Otherwise, there's also destroying bitcoins via OP_RETURN or the like.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 01:57:38 PM

You can technically "unmine" a bitcoin by including it in the transaction fee, thus allowing a miner to collect it after solving a block.

I don't think anyone understands what he means. I think he wants to return them to an unmined state perpetually "...prolonging the 21 million threshold" so they could be remined as new over and over again "perpetual motion" not just transmitting them like any another transaction. I also don't think he means taking them out of commission forever by destroying them.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 02:44:08 PM

I don't think anyone understands what he means. I think he wants to return them to an unmined state perpetually "...prolonging the 21 million threshold" so they could be remined as new over and over again "perpetual motion" not just transmitting them like any another transaction. I also don't think he means taking them out of commission forever by destroying them.

no I get it., as I said: what would the system give the miner in exchange?

JJB

Activity: 131

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 03:05:54 PM

It is a ludicrous question. Where would the money come from to buy them back? The miners sell them because they need the money or want the profit.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 03:06:25 PM

Ok, you understand but there are people answering him that are saying, yes its technically possible. No, it's not possible to keep mining the same coins over and over again never using up the 21 million limit forever. This is one of those questions newbies ask when they don't understand that the transaction fee will take over for the block reward when the reward runs out. Or they're pissed because the block reward keeps declining from 50 to 25 etc. Why can't we just keep it at 50 coins forever with a low difficulty and mine solo with CPUs so we can all get rich together? ROFL

firewire2013 (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:51:55 PM

Ok, you understand but there are people answering him that are saying, yes its technically possible. No, it's not possible to keep mining the same coins over and over again never using up the 21 million limit forever. This is one of those questions newbies ask when they don't understand that the transaction fee will take over for the block reward when the reward runs out. Or they're pissed because the block reward keeps declining from 50 to 25 etc. Why can't we just keep it at 50 coins forever with a low difficulty and mine solo with CPUs so we can all get rich together? ROFL

Yes you understand the question Smiley

So, when all the coins have been mined 25 BTC reward is no longer paid, the BTC transaction fee will reward the miners. I assume the reward wont be as substantial as 25BTC.

BTC: 1BbJmzqcxnJEc3gPcBFbjoUnRB9WGHZ3Cf
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:10:06 PM

Yes you understand the question Smiley

So, when all the coins have been mined 25 BTC reward is no longer paid, the BTC transaction fee will reward the miners. I assume the reward wont be as substantial as 25BTC.

Yes, the reward will continue to decrease on a predetermined schedule. The idea is that as the reward decreases the number of people using bitcoin will increase and each of them will pay a fee larger than the fee we have today. In theory, the amount miners make can actually be greater with the fee system than they earn now with the block reward system. You need to understand that the block rewards were necessary in the beginning because there were not enough people using Bitcoin to make mining worth doing. Understand? 

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:37:02 PM

IMO, tx volume will see tx fees in excess of 1 BTC per block in 5 years. Since block reward won't drop near that for 20 years, as long as BTC is trending above $10,000 each by then, I don't think there will be a lack of incentive to keep the current level of participation.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: