Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:15:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Simple Machines forum & not anything else ?.  (Read 2441 times)
tonygal

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:52:04 AM

The forum got compromised even through avatars. I don't know how wise it will be to leave it exposed, the incentive to attack this is very high.
Does anyone have a link to the main thread where this 2013 security breach was discussed? I'd be interested in
what exactly happened back then.
It's not "just" for this forum, it could be a competitor to all the other forums. If they do it right, it could be quite a boon for bitcoin.
That's true. Will epochtalk be available for free? I guess not, given the >350k dev costs. So one should price licenses competitively and sell only for bitcoins..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 11:43:32 AM

The forum got compromised even through avatars. I don't know how wise it will be to leave it exposed, the incentive to attack this is very high.
Does anyone have a link to the main thread where this 2013 security breach was discussed? I'd be interested in
It's not "just" for this forum, it could be a competitor to all the other forums. If they do it right, it could be quite a boon for bitcoin.
That's true. Will epochtalk be available for free? I guess not, given the >350k dev costs. So one should price licenses competitively and sell only for bitcoins..

Not found the thread but found a video of apparently what the hack did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKrOHAfMdxI

Madness (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 11:50:19 AM

What the hell lol , this is really happened on the website ? It looks a video montage to me Shocked  btw here is more informations about the hack , found this on the description of that video => http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1nmdq4/bitcointalk_hacked/
also more info here : http://cryptolife.net/bitcointalk-hacked/

from Theymos

UPDATE FROM THEYMOS:

It’s unfortunately worse than I thought. There’s a good chance that the attacker(s) could have executed arbitrary PHP code and therefore could have accessed the database, but I’m not sure yet how difficult this would be. I’m sending out a mass mailing to all Forum users about this.

Summary: The forum will be down for a while. Backups exist and are held by several people. At this time I feel that password hashes were probably not compromised, but I can’t say for sure. If you used the same password on bitcointalk.org as on other sites, you may want to change your passwords. Passwords are hashed using sha256crypt with 7500 rounds (very strong). The JavaScript that was injected into bitcointalk.org seems harmless.

Here’s what I know: The attacker injected some code into $modSettings['news'] (the news at the top of pages). Updating news is normally logged, but this action was not logged, so the update was probably done in some roundabout way, not by compromising an admin account or otherwise “legitimately” making the change. Probably, part of SMF related to news-updating or modSettings is flawed. Possibly, the attacker was somehow able to modify the modSettings cache in /tmp or the database directly.

Also, the attacker was able to upload a PHP script and some other files to the avatars directory.

Figuring out the specifics is probably beyond my skills, so 50 BTC to the first person who tells me how this was done. (You have to convince me that your flaw was the one actually used.) The forum won’t go back up until I know how this was done, so it could be down for a while.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 11:58:11 AM

What the hell lol , this is really happened on the website ? It looks a video montage to me Shocked  btw here is more informations about the hack , found this on the description of that video => http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1nmdq4/bitcointalk_hacked/

Yes all else aside, it was pretty funny. Would pop up a dialog box with a progress meter that said it was converting your bitcoins to cosbycoins.  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
tonygal

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 12:01:29 PM

Hmm, I don't have the impression this has been cleared up very well.
For example, is the username known who uploaded the malicious avatar?
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 12:02:54 PM

The costs are expected to be closer to $1 million in the end, $350k has been spent to date.

The software will be entirely free and open source, released under the MIT license just like Bitcoin Core.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 12:03:49 PM

I think also if the username was known the "hacker" has used tor or a vpn/proxy.
tonygal

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 12:04:49 PM

I think also if the username was known the "hacker" has used tor or a vpn/proxy.

sure, sure.. Just for curiosity.  Grin
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 12:17:29 PM

The costs are expected to be closer to $1 million in the end, $350k has been spent to date.

The software will be entirely free and open source, released under the MIT license just like Bitcoin Core.

So you are telling me someone would pay 1$ million dollar just to develop a forum & at the end of the day that forum will be Free & Open source ? Like seriously ? do you really belieave that because I don't  Huh It just dosen't make any sense

Blazr

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 01:16:37 PM

So you are telling me someone would pay 1$ million dollar just to develop a forum & at the end of the day that forum will be Free & Open source ? Like seriously ? do you really belieave that because I don't  Huh It just dosen't make any sense

Yes, read up on it. The funds were raised from donations to bitcointalk and profit from forum ads back when the Bitcoin price was a lot less. The forum never sold any BTC. Here is how much the forum holds now:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155000.0

And you do realize that some of the Bitcoin Core developers are paid >$100,000/yr salaries, yet the software is free. And the same can be said about the Linux kernel, Firefox web browser or any other large FOSS software project.

Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 01:48:34 PM

So you are telling me someone would pay 1$ million dollar just to develop a forum & at the end of the day that forum will be Free & Open source ? Like seriously ? do you really belieave that because I don't  Huh It just dosen't make any sense

Yes, read up on it. The funds were raised from donations to bitcointalk and profit from forum ads back when the Bitcoin price was a lot less. The forum never sold any BTC. Here is how much the forum holds now:

And you do realize that some of the Bitcoin Core developers are paid >$100,000/yr salaries, yet the software is free. And the same can be said about the Linux kernel, Firefox web browser or any other large FOSS software project.

Dafuq only Theymos him self donated like 1.2m (with the current price of BTC) that's so huge Shocked
and to be honest with you , no I didn't knew that . I personally think that only few people donate to free projects like these (Firefox,Ubuntu etc ... ) idk .. I can seem to belieave that people could donate such amounts of money . but i can't say I was thinking about Developpers of those wallets yeah ... nice to hear that they got paid after all Smiley

Blazr

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 01:58:20 PM

Dafuq only Theymos him self donated like 1.2m (with the current price of BTC) that's so huge Shocked
and to be honest with you , no I didn't knew that . I personally think that only few people donate to free projects like these (Firefox,Ubuntu etc ... ) idk .. I can seem to belieave that people could donate such amounts of money . but i can't say I was thinking about Developpers of those wallets yeah ... nice to hear that they got paid after all Smiley

He didn't donate anything, thats the money the forum currently has and whos holding it. There is a list of some donators here
https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html

Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 02:02:59 PM

He didn't donate anything, thats the money the forum currently has and whos holding it. There is a list of some donators here

Woops right , didn't read it correctly . They are holding them I see , but why it's splitted to different people and I don't know anyone of them at least not Administrators or Moderators/Staff members Shocked

MultipliedCombo

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 05:19:46 PM

Woops right , didn't read it correctly . They are holding them I see , but why it's splitted to different people and I don't know anyone of them at least not Administrators or Moderators/Staff members Shocked

It's split amongst different people for security, I suppose. If one guy gets hacked, all the funds won't be lost as there are others who hold funds as well (the chances of one of them getting hacked should be pretty slim though, as they're being entrusted with quite a lot of Bitcoins).

It wouldn't really matter if they're a staff member or not, they're highly trusted by theymos.

Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 06:00:23 PM

That hacker must have a sense of humor, lol.

What the hell lol , this is really happened on the website ? It looks a video montage to me Shocked  btw here is more informations about the hack , found this on the description of that video => http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1nmdq4/bitcointalk_hacked/

Yes all else aside, it was pretty funny. Would pop up a dialog box with a progress meter that said it was converting your bitcoins to cosbycoins. 

Maybe that could be implemented as an April fools joke? Anyways, did you guys catch the hacker, or at least know who he is?

Anyways, I found this picture, it is one of the things the hacker did.

MultipliedCombo

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 10:16:37 AM

Maybe that could be implemented as an April fools joke? Anyways, did you guys catch the hacker, or at least know who he is?

Wait, that actually happened? I thought it was just something in the video that was just put there for humorous reasons (like a montage parody or something).

Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 10:20:27 AM

^^ That happened, and CosbyCoin happened Grin
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:24:21 PM

I do know who he is, but he didn't cause any permanent damage or steal any user info, so I decided not to go after him. It was just a funny joke.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 07:13:42 PM

I do know who he is, but he didn't cause any permanent damage or steal any user info, so I decided not to go after him. It was just a funny joke.

I wasen't here that time when the forums got hacked and don't know how much the damage that was caused to be honest ...
But you are one nice guy Theymos , really Grin If I were you I would hunt him down  Angry still what you did is cool , that's why we love you  Embarrassed
#Respect for da boss

Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:24:21 PM

Wait, that actually happened? I thought it was just something in the video that was just put there for humorous reasons (like a montage parody or something).

Yeah that's what actually happened, when users logged in they saw that all over their screen. I wan't here when the forums got hacked, but I found some articles about it.

Oh I see. Wow, that's nice of you. I would be pretty mad if I ran a forum and it got hacked.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: