Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:33:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the next evolution in mining?  (Read 3506 times)
TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 04:35:47 PM

It's called the FPGA/ASIC clusters already owned by big financial players/knowledge management/intelligence communities.
Do you even know what "ASIC" stands for?! Probably not, or you would know, why what you just said is completely stupid.

About FPGAs: They are maybe good at MH/W performance, performance per chip wise they quite honestly seem to suck though.
FPGAs are not exactly cheap, but they're quite powerful.
An XC6SLX150 will get you ~200MH/s for ~20W. And if you build an FPGA cluster yourself, you'll end up with costs around 200-300$ per chip. Because they don't use much power you can reach very high density. Oh, and ASICs might actually be feasible once you reach quantities >10000.

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phungus

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

I'm doin' fine on cloud 9

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:38:49 PM

Nvidia may get wise and decide to invest a little money into a Bitcoin R&D project. The fact is, Radeon's are not in stock anywhere and, questionable investment or not, they would probably like to be the ones selling out of cards.

I imagine both companies have probably formed ad-hoc Bitcoin divisions already to examine this phenomenon.

They only need to re-design some of their existing tech by stripping out everything unnecessary. If they can target relatively lower power usage, smaller form factor, less heat, and combine that with a new library to replace OpenCL cutting out everything unnecessary to the hash function, maximizing profit from the device while providing a hot seller, even if it's somewhat temporary, they'd really have something.

If I was an executive at Nvidia, I'd be scrambling to try and put together a business unit to capitalize on it fast.

I registered just so I could post that. Been lurking here for awhile. :-)

I've been feeling a little left out since all I have to hash with is an old 4650. I snagged a single 5830 from Newegg this morning but I don't have enough power supply to run two.

I'm just hoping to mint a few coins to buy some hosting with. I think I may have 0.01BTC hashed so far. :-)

I can do stuff
tehcodez

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:47:11 PM

It's called the FPGA/ASIC clusters already owned by big financial players/knowledge management/intelligence communities.
Do you even know what "ASIC" stands for?! Probably not, or you would know, why what you just said is completely stupid.

About FPGAs: They are maybe good at MH/W performance, performance per chip wise they quite honestly seem to suck though.
An XC6SLX150 will get you ~200MH/s for ~20W. And if you build an FPGA cluster yourself, you'll end up with costs around 200-300$ per chip. Because they don't use much power you can reach very high density. Oh, and ASICs might actually be feasible once you reach quantities >10000.

already owned
CoinSpeculator

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:07:29 PM

already owned

?

ASIC's can only do one thing (Application-specific integrated circuit).  You can't really modify a high frequency trading ASIC for bitcoin hashing...  Maybe an FPGA setup, but even that's questionable.
TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 10:14:52 PM

I also doubt that those "big financial players" even use FPGA clusters for anything.

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:25:03 PM

Maybe an FPGA setup, but even that's questionable.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask.  Do you know what a FPGA is?  It stands for a field-programmable gate array.  It's an electronic circut that can be programmed at the hardware level, in the field.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: