Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:00:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer resets as soon as I try to start mining. please help.  (Read 1121 times)
JeffMcCob1228 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 06:58:56 PM

My computer turns off when I start mining using GUIMiner.  I am running windows 7 with a radeon 5870 with driver version 8.961.0.0 .  I am trying to connect to Bitclocker's pool but will connect to any pool if it will make it work.    I can see it mining for a second before it turns off.  I have programs to monitor the heat temperatures and nothing seems to be overheating. What am I doing wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not overclocking yet, just trying to run it normal. I have a 500 watt PSU and only one video card so I would think that the power supply is good.  It said on the site that I bought it from that it could handle 2 x16 cards.  I am running a MSI 870S-G54.  It does not blue screen it just resets.  But when it resets it stalls on the first screen that comes up and I have to reset before I can get it to load.  Really frustrating. 
I have used GUIMiner,phoenix 2.0, and CGMiner.  I have also tried using Linux and windows with all the different miners.  all of them do the same thing on linux and windows.  They start mining for about 1 second and then the computer turns off.

Thanks in advance for any help.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 09:52:58 PM

Are all of your sleep modes turned off in bios and have power management set to high performance with hibernation off?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730
JeffMcCob1228 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 05:16:09 PM

Yes I have turned off all the sleep modes in bios and have set high performance in power management with hibernation off.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 05:19:43 PM

Is your PSU a single rail? Do you have any accessories you can remove to reduce power load (extra harddrives/CD drives, etc) to see if it helps?
Sounds very much like a PSU problem.
JeffMcCob1228 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 05:39:50 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390426861734?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That is a link to the power supply that I bought on ebay.  it said that it could run 2 x16 cards so I thought it would be ok. Could the power supply be the problem?

I don't have any extra hard drives or CD-ROM drives running.  
I am also running this computer with no case sitting ontop of a desk.  Could this effect GPU Mining?  I can upload pics if necessary. 

Thanks for any help in advance.
JeffMcCob1228 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 07:47:23 PM

What type of power supply do you think I would need?
Koooooj

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 08:30:12 PM

I personally wouldn't touch that power supply with a 10 foot pole, and would bet money that it's the thing causing the shutdown.  Without knowing your full system it's hard to make an accurate suggestion on the PSU you should use.  Perhaps 500W would be enough, but I wouldn't trust that PSU to actually be able to output 500W.  Also, the 70% efficiency that it claims is atrocious.  For a rough number, you can go to http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html and input what you know about your computer.  I would suggest going with a little more power than it offers.

Also, the best power supplies have a single rail.  It's pretty cheap and easy to build a power supply that is basically several low-wattage power supplies in one, which has several 12V rails.  You have to be careful with a power supply like that not to over-stress any of the individual rails, so even if you are below the stated max total power draw, you can be over-stressing one of the rails.  I didn't see anything on the power supply that you got that would suggest that it is a single rail design, so that may have been your problem.  You might want to read http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html.

It can be hard to tell a good power supply from a bad one, and a low price quickly catches the eye.  Don't be fooled by cheap PSUs that are really only suitable for e-mail/internet browsing machines.  It's easy to slap on a label that claims 500W, since so few people have the means to test the claim.

If you find a power supply you like better, you can post a link/picture here and I/other forum members can weigh in on the unit.  I hope you find something that works.
TruSteve84

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 08:40:23 PM

you sure that your cpu is not over heating for some reason? thats what happened to me before due to bad thermal paste( dried up/crusty)
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 10:06:39 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390426861734?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That is a link to the power supply that I bought on ebay.  it said that it could run 2 x16 cards so I thought it would be ok. Could the power supply be the problem?

YES.

Sorry but in all seriousness, don't skimp on PSUs, particularly when you want to put them under heavy load like bitcoin mining  Cheesy
JeffMcCob1228 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 07:20:06 PM

Got it running with a new power supply.  Thanks everyone for the help. Had to get a $100 power supply from best buy but it is workin good now.  thanks again!
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 07:27:40 PM

Got it running with a new power supply.  Thanks everyone for the help. Had to get a $100 power supply from best buy but it is workin good now.  thanks again!
No problem, glad you got it running. Happy mining!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: