Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:36:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is going viral  (Read 2299 times)
Voltarius

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Mercurial

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 07:30:34 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 08:01:51 PM by Voltarius

No, BTC cannot go viral. Since it involves spending money (usually via a bank wire), it cannot spread like a virus.

I would like to add though, that maybe how BTC could go essentially viral within the whole world, is if there was some sort of benefit that big companies made it to be. Such as this for example:
"If you pay your ______ Bill with Bitcoin, then you save an extra 20%!" ... or "If you buy this XXXX Product with Bitcoins, then you get a second one free of charge!"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TrinityCoin

Activity: 264

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:49:11 PM

No, BTC cannot go viral. Since it involves spending money (usually via a bank wire), it cannot spread like a virus.

This guy has the right mindset.
I would like to add though, that maybe how BTC could go essentially viral within the whole world, is if there was some sort of benefit that big companies made it to be. Such as this for example:
"If you pay your ______ Bill with Bitcoin, then you save an extra 20%!" ... or "If you buy this XXXX Product with Bitcoins, then you get a second one free of charge!"

Why would any company have incentive to do this? To lose money? They don't actually care about bitcoin and they wouldnt hold it anyways, most likely just use a payment provider like coinbase and immediately cash out every time. Adoption by companies will not help the stability of the price, actually in the long run it will most likely continue to drive the price down. Bitcoin is accepted by large retailers at this point, but if you buy something which costs $10000 USD and you pay with bitcoin, you are essentially dumping 10k in btc. You will get a slight advantage because they will take it (maybe) at one price, but I would doubt it.

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:02:00 AM

Why would any company have incentive to do this? To lose money? They don't actually care about bitcoin and they wouldnt hold it anyways, most likely just use a payment provider like coinbase and immediately cash out every time. Adoption by companies will not help the stability of the price, actually in the long run it will most likely continue to drive the price down. Bitcoin is accepted by large retailers at this point, but if you buy something which costs $10000 USD and you pay with bitcoin, you are essentially dumping 10k in btc. You will get a slight advantage because they will take it (maybe) at one price, but I would doubt it.
They save money on fees(e.g. credit card) and could give a share back to the customer by discounts. But sure, that are not 20%.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:53:30 AM

Evaluate this statement.

Evaluate your statement sure ok. Bitcoin is far from viral, has a lot more in it first to do that and its a fraction of the way of been viral. It is indeed getting more and more popular however for it to be viral it needs to be everywhere like Paypal as an example or even Amazon. When its as big as one of them then it will be viral Smiley

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
flipstyle

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:34:35 AM

Bitcoin was viral (hysteria) when it reached its peak@$1200.  Same with Silver when it peaked at $50. Now it's just getting press for all the wrong reasons....
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 02:46:39 AM

It hasn't even started yet, you won't be on the forums asking questions like this when bitcoin goes viral.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
forlackofabettername

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:15:00 AM

it went viral in 2013 but after that was dumped all through 2014.
Today it's an old fart and still can't hold value. It had it's chance and messed up. Things don't go viral twice.

"If you see fraud and don't shout fraud, you are a fraud"
  -- Nassim Taleb
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:08:09 AM

Evaluate this statement.
false
jehst (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:23:36 AM

It hasn't even started yet, you won't be on the forums asking questions like this when bitcoin goes viral.

Where will I be? St. Tropez?

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:03:21 AM

Like I understand the term viral. Bitcoin hasn't gone viral yet.
I don't see much Bitcoin-news in mainstream media. I don't see it on Facebook, I don't see it on 9gag.
I don't think, it ever will go viral. I don't see any event, that could make that happen.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:05:27 PM

I suppose a registrar (the company which registers domain names) could do it. Probably not 20%, but 10% off for paying with BTC could be a hit.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: