Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:06:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BITSTAMP] Hot wallet problems, stop making bitcoin deposits IMMEDIATELY  (Read 4620 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
HrN (OP)

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 07:05:24 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2015, 09:21:12 AM by HrN

I just received an email with that:
Code:
Dear customer,

Today our transaction processing server detected problems with our hot wallet and stopped processing withdrawals.

You should STOP SENDING bitcoin deposits to your Bitstamp account IMMEDIATELY as private keys of your deposit address may be lost.

Your bitcoins already deposited with us are stored in a cold wallet and can not be affected.

We will send you more info as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bitstamp team
EDIT:
Bitstamp is down now: http://www.bitstamp.net/

Code:
BITSTAMP SERVICE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED

We have reason to believe that one of Bitstamp’s operational wallets was compromised on January 4th, 2015.
As a security precaution against compromises Bitstamp only maintains a small fraction of customer bitcoins in online systems. Bitstamp maintains more than enough offline reserves to cover the compromised bitcoins.
IN THE MEANTIME, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE DEPOSITS TO PREVIOUSLY ISSUED BITCOIN DEPOSIT ADDRESSES. THEY CANNOT BE HONORED!
Customer deposits made prior to January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves. Deposits made to newly issued addresses provided after January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC can be honored.
Bitstamp takes our security and soundness very seriously. In an excess of caution, we are suspending service as we continue to investigate. We will return to service and amend our security measures as appropriate.
Bitstamp Team
On bitstamp.net I can't Deposit or Withdraw BITCOINS.
They will close the activity like mtGox?

.()_().
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
reyhan12

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 07:35:17 AM

I have the same issue. I'm wondering why there's not more people posting in the forum about this.
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 08:17:57 AM

I received the same email.

Before that I ordered a bitcoin withdrawal, which has not gone through until now, since 15 hours. 20 min after the withdrawal, when I did not see any transaction, I entered a support ticket. There has been no reply to that. Note that the two issues look unrelated at first sight, but only if we believe what they are saying.

It feels like Mt. Gox. Delay and finally stop withdrawals. Blame technical problems or hackers. Worst case is that they gambled on a rising bitcoin price and lost their shirts when the price kept going down.

Not again! I have lost enough on Mt. Gox. If large bitcoin exchanges keep going down, bitcoin could die altogether. Bitcoin is useless if you cannot exchange it reliably for fiat money and if you keep losing it through failing exchanges.

I remember only too vividly how I kept hoping to eventually withdraw my Mt. Gox money. It never happened.

It may be the right time to sell bitcoins, just in case Bitstamp goes down and before the issue becomes widely known. If the fears turn out to be unfounded, buy them again.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 08:25:09 AM

A hot wallet is only supposed to have a small amount of BTC, enough that they can easily cover losses. If it's only the hot wallet and they were using the hot wallet correctly (IE only having a small amount of funds in it) then everything should be OK.

Bitalo_Martin

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 08:32:18 AM

deposits should never go to a hot wallet. This point does not make much sense to me. It seems to be a severe incident and I assume it does not even matter if you have FIAT or coins there.

People should start using services where service providers do not take over control over the coins at all. This is possible with user-side encrypted private keys, multi-signature wallets and even backup transactino in case the service goes completely offline.

bitalo.com or greenaddres have implemented these systems, people just need to use it
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 08:35:08 AM

1: They need to prove right now how much money they have in cold storage
2: Bitstamp needs to be actually audited (by financial professionals) on a regular basis in the future
3: IMPLEMENT MULTI-SIGNATURE FOR WITHDRAWALS

If 3 doesn't happen, this will keep happening forever. We have the tools, but we haven't forced our complacent, amateurish, borderline criminal exchanges to adopt them.

It's time to pressurize them.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 08:37:40 AM

deposits should never go to a hot wallet.

That doesn't really matter if your customers are using unique addresses for each deposit. If an attacker can access your hot wallet, chances are he can give your customers deposit addresses that he controls.

HrN (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:21:49 AM

Pff. Now is closed :|
Code:

We have reason to believe that one of Bitstamp’s operational wallets was compromised on January 4th, 2015.
As a security precaution against compromises Bitstamp only maintains a small fraction of customer bitcoins in online systems. Bitstamp maintains more than enough offline reserves to cover the compromised bitcoins.
IN THE MEANTIME, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE DEPOSITS TO PREVIOUSLY ISSUED BITCOIN DEPOSIT ADDRESSES. THEY CANNOT BE HONORED!
Customer deposits made prior to January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves. Deposits made to newly issued addresses provided after January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC can be honored.
Bitstamp takes our security and soundness very seriously. In an excess of caution, we are suspending service as we continue to investigate. We will return to service and amend our security measures as appropriate.
Bitstamp Team

.()_().
bounst

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:25:22 AM

what happened with bitstamp?
HrN (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:28:16 AM

what happened with bitstamp?
MtGox II Huh?

.()_().
sandy47bt

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:30:01 AM

Code:

Bitstamp Team

It will be bad if case like MtGox Happened, bitcoin price will falling down again Sad
Maybe it's time to sell ?
TXWA

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:32:17 AM

Oh no.. But I really expected this  Shocked
Let's see how it goes on...
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:43:18 AM

I made a withdrawal just over 24 hours before receiving the email.  That withdrawal had been sitting on pending since then.  

It's defintely related:
Today our transaction processing server detected problems with our hot wallet and stopped processing withdrawals.
That's from their email.

I had been making somewhat regular withdrawals during this period:
- The last successful was seen by blockchain.info at about 2015-01-04 02h20 GMT
- My withdrawal at at bitstamp at somewhere after 2015-01-04 04h00 GMT was not processed.

I suspect their system stopped withdrawals somewhere in between those times.

I hate to say it but that indicates a small(?) lie.  I.e. their email said "Today" but was dated 5 Jan.  I at least received it more than 24 hours after my withdrawals were being blocked.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:53:33 AM

they are hacked. they lost "some" funds. nobody knows how much. anyway, it's a large amount even they say that it is only a "fraction" Smiley
mayax
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:55:51 AM

Code:

Bitstamp Team

It will be bad if case like MtGox Happened, bitcoin price will falling down again Sad
Maybe it's time to sell ?

I would sell if I were you...even it is a "small" issue with Bitstamp(i think they are hacked and they lost a lot of money but they earned a lot from their clients until now, so they can cover).... the Bitcoin price will go down; may around of 200 or lower USD.
mayax
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:02:47 AM

I received the same email.

Before that I ordered a bitcoin withdrawal, which has not gone through until now, since 15 hours. 20 min after the withdrawal, when I did not see any transaction, I entered a support ticket. There has been no reply to that. Note that the two issues look unrelated at first sight, but only if we believe what they are saying.

It feels like Mt. Gox. Delay and finally stop withdrawals. Blame technical problems or hackers. Worst case is that they gambled on a rising bitcoin price and lost their shirts when the price kept going down.

Not again! I have lost enough on Mt. Gox. If large bitcoin exchanges keep going down, bitcoin could die altogether. Bitcoin is useless if you cannot exchange it reliably for fiat money and if you keep losing it through failing exchanges.

I remember only too vividly how I kept hoping to eventually withdraw my Mt. Gox money. It never happened.

It may be the right time to sell bitcoins, just in case Bitstamp goes down and before the issue becomes widely known. If the fears turn out to be unfounded, buy them again.

very good point, hgmichna.
BitStamp can cover the loss. they made millions as profit from their clients so they can cover almost any loss IF they want that, of course. The Bitcoin price will go down for sure. It's a normal. This is happening on any stock market when a BIG company has problems; the whole market is going down for a period of time.
If the Bitcoin price will not fall, that means something is fishy...it won't be according with the any common sense... Smiley

So, sell now and buy later.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 10:07:33 AM

WTF is this.... I've been out for a couple days, came back to make some trades, and see their website is completely suspended. I'm getting the mtgox deja vu. I've got a hefty sum of both BTC and fiat on there  Angry

As if price haven't dipped low enough, this incident will most likely further dip the price, and I can't even move whatever BTC for fiat stuck on there...

mayax
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:20:29 AM

WTF is this.... I've been out for a couple days, came back to make some trades, and see their website is completely suspended. I'm getting the mtgox deja vu. I've got a hefty sum of both BTC and fiat on there  Angry

As if price haven't dipped low enough, this incident will most likely further dip the price, and I can't even move whatever BTC for fiat stuck on there...

haploid23, don't go anywhere from now on. it's bringing bad luck your absence Smiley)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:21:12 AM

Wow man that sucks. Why would you keep a heft sum of btc and fiat on the exchange?

Bitstamp has been great to use since I started using them (with few issues) but even then I still didn't trust them 100%.

I hope this is not MTGOX part 2.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

eliale

Activity: 838
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 10:32:05 AM

People should start using services where service providers do not take over control over the coins at all. This is possible with user-side encrypted private keys, multi-signature wallets and even backup transactino in case the service goes completely offline.

bitalo.com or greenaddres have implemented these systems, people just need to use it

The Rock Trading implemented multi-sig with greenaddress

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: