Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:05:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Deleted posts in the Hardware BFL Thread, Double Standards, and Hypocrisy  (Read 8311 times)
VenusFlyTrap

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

Are you OCD?

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:58:09 PM

There is more to that. Brush242 did not manage to hush people up; ""It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" --Some Guy, Late 1800s

I didn't offer anonymous service, or even pseudo-anonymous service. I would not be anonymous. Any client will be able to confirm my legitimacy in the jurisdictions where I am admitted to practice law.

Depending on the extent of the services needed for legal representation, clients and I will enter into a written representation agreement that covers fees, costs, scope of service, et cetera. For other services, a standard business agreement."

See for yourself https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=492749.msg10050629#msg10050629

So then comes a force majeure and caboom... everyone's posts are gone. A very interesting coincidence  Grin

WARNING! SLok is a known user of SilkRoad and SilkRoad 2.0 who used to moderate BFL's forums. Can't get your refund? Email FTC attorney Helen Wong at: hwong [at] ftc.gov Follow the FTC vs. BF Labs court docs: http://tinyurl.com/ftcvsbfl
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xian01 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:00:54 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2015, 10:17:52 PM by Xian01

The mass of inscrutable, unprofessional, and irrelevant rubbish on that thread makes BFL's angry customers look bad and separates them from actual information which could be used to improve their situation
Which makes your removal of the dox of such an "upstanding professional" so troubling, considering the rubbish he was adding to the thread, and resulted in said doxing.

In the nicest way possible, I'm trying to say "In this instance, I think you went a bit too far. He deserved to be unmasked considering his 'contributions'. Yes, I'm agreeing with you that much of the last 10-15 pages of that thread have been pure cancer, but lawyer dude fucked up, and I think it was totally uncool of you to nuke the genesis post doxing him. The circle jerk went way too far after that, though"

EDIT: As an alternative, I might have suggested splitting off the last 10 pages and moved it to meta or offtopic or something...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:02:17 PM

Except for gmaxwell, who removed the dox in the Butterfly Labs thread, called it "cleaning up 10 pages of derailment", resulting in this meta thread being created, right ?

As you yourself admitted, the posts had nothing to do with BFL other than by virtue of being posted in that thread.  I did also invite any complaints to come here, rather than to continue offtopic on that thread.

Generally when a thread is going offtopic we'll do a cleanup on the last couple pages to push it back onto the rails. There is no use in cleaning up hundreds of pages of past topic transgressions which no one is reading anymore. Many of the points I removed also had no connection to the (also offtopic) doxing posts.

SaltySpitoon, with due respect: Thanks for your support, but you're also confused. The posts in question were not related to BFL except by virtue of having been (_incorrectly_) posted in a BFL thread, and none of the posts themselves claimed to be related to BFL.  By defending my (very much real) non-connection to and non-motivation to help BFL you're just making it sound like I removed something to the betterment of BFL, which I think cannot be sanely alleged. (Quite the contrary: The mass of inscrutable, unprofessional, and irrelevant rubbish on that thread makes BFL's angry customers look bad and separates them from actual information which could be used to improve their situation).

He already said it. He won't be back. If he does come back to this thread it won't be to say, "oh yeah, I didn't read through them all carefully enough so I deleted things I shouldn't have because I'm unfamiliar with the topic". lol
It's quite likely that I deleted plenty of more borderline material (like the posts with nothing but pictures of chickens) that I might not have deleted as single isolated posts. This is the norm for pushing a thread back on topic. I used a similar approach (periodic aggressive removals) with reasonable success in some of the prior KNC threads.

Did you do that just to spite me? ROFL

sbogovac
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1192

I don't believe in denial.

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:12:56 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2015, 11:08:19 PM by sbogovac

[...] like I removed something to the betterment of BFL, which I think cannot be sanely alleged.[...]

Well Gregory: Sorry, but it can; "lawyer-dude" Stephen M. Reid showed up as this community was posting more and more evidence of BFL/Bitpay's fraud/money laundering and started derailing that. Since no mod was anywhere near to putting that dude in his place the community acted itself (thank you, Bruno et al.) and doxed him. By your blunt actions this context has been totally lost while his (lawyer-dude's) prior derailments still stand.

So sorry, but: yes, your "aggressive" actions actually led "to the betterment of BFL"...  Shocked

And to put insult to injury you then start threatening that very community Huh

0x7442A5c37E513D335F53843cD20c00F77eAC7867
VenusFlyTrap

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

Are you OCD?

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:18:46 PM

@maxwell. I understand your position. But this is not kindergarten. And you cannot ground people in the corner. People are gathering information and at times they make jokes. Keep in mind Maxwell that FTC has been referred to this list several times because many of us have gathered an enormous amount of information. We are trying to make their job easier too. It can very well be considered as tampering with evidence. Considering what happened last night, you can warn people from time to time not to overload the thread with too many pictures. But be careful with overzealous deletions.

WARNING! SLok is a known user of SilkRoad and SilkRoad 2.0 who used to moderate BFL's forums. Can't get your refund? Email FTC attorney Helen Wong at: hwong [at] ftc.gov Follow the FTC vs. BF Labs court docs: http://tinyurl.com/ftcvsbfl
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:24:57 PM

Finally, I was able to obtain a cache of Stephen Reid/Rush Reid/Steve Reid's Linkedin page prior to him doing some cleansing of his own. I had to hit esc. prior to the page loaning and was able to use the text only link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:80kK_later0J:au.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Steve/Ll&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1

This is Google's cache of http://au.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Steve/Ll. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Dec 23, 2014 04:40:16 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more
Tip: To quickly find your search term on this page, press Ctrl+F or ⌘-F (Mac) and use the find bar.

Compare the following with what's available now. (I incorporated the two original links that no longer work)

Stephen Reid, Esq., LL.M.

Title
eDiscovery Project Manager at Major National Law Firms
Demographic info
Washington D.C. Metro Area | Law Practice
Current
eDiscovery Project Manager at Major National Law Firms, Adjunct Professor at DePaul University
Past
Associate Director and Attorney at Thomson Reuters, District and Account Manager at Union Beverage Company, US Concepts, & Stadium Club, Interrogation Team Leader at US Army
Education
Georgetown University Law Center, London School of Economics and Political Science, State University of New York at Buffalo - Law School, DePaul University
Summary
Steve is an e-Discovery lawyer with extensive project and team management experience. He’s known for: • ACHIEVING MEASURABLE SUCCESS for 20+ years by analyzing status quo from fresh perspective, asking the right questions, understanding needs and motivations of all parties, and getting everyone moving the same direction. • ADAPTING TO QUICKLY CHANGING CIRCUMSTANCES, rapid deadlines, limited budgets, and innovative technologies, while providing unflappable leadership and maintaining team cohesion. • CREATING PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS AND POLICIES to carry out macro-level strategies, anticipating and measuring real world outcomes, and assisting in strategy adjustments to ensure overall goals are met. • COMMUNICATING IN PLAIN ENGLISH, whether discussing technical issues and status updates with clients’ senior leadership or explaining legal issues and performance expectations with junior contractors. • OFFERING UNIQUE COMBINATION OF ADVANCED DEGREES, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE, including Georgetown Law’s eDiscovery Training Academy, Project Management Institute, the London School of Economics, and specialized military and investigations training academies. PLATFORMS & TECHNOLOGIES Amicus | Concordance | Cloud-based Tools | Excelerate | Juris | Kroll Ontrack | LAW PreDiscovery LiveNote | Microsoft Office Suite/Project/SharePoint | Relativity | Ringtail | Summation | Xerox
Stephen Reid, Esq., LL.M.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:32:11 PM

Bruno, I asked you in the other thread but it was deleted, what does doxing brush242 have to do with BFL? Did he work for them?

ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:08:46 AM

The timing of the sudden "clean up" of the BFL fucked us over again is curious at best. If you believe Steven Reid's shit had nothing to do with that I suggest you go out to buy Occam's razor and get a good shave. It may have been Off Topic for that thread but it is definitely an topic that should have been split into a separate thread instead of flat out deleting it. I do consider this a moderation mistake. But hey, nobody is perfect. It would be great if the relevant post could be restored as a new thread. Say from a hidden subforum that contains deleted messages.

Props to Steven Reid for managing to erase his vomit though. He has poked the bear and then managed to get the zoo keeper to clean up the mess afterwards. We've seen that he's a idiotic piece of shit, yet he got that done.

Other noteworthy things:
- GMaxwell will remove his own posts too, which will hide the fact that a moderation sweep ever took place in that thread.
- The stage has been set for account bans
- Some good came out of it too. At least now GMaxwell has committed to keeping the thread "clean". Not sure for how long though.
Leeroy Jenkins

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Mmmh mhmhh mmmm.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:14:15 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2015, 01:24:28 AM by leeroyjenkins

Yeah, it's pretty clear that several messages that were on-topic were deleted under the guise of restoring order to more-on-topic-ness. Even one of mine that was in response to darkmule's mindless harangue (about brush242's ad hominem, straw-man bullshit directed at me) was deleted. Talk about buzz kill.

I understand that mods have to make certain motions to fix things, but sometimes it is better to be more discriminating and careful when you do that.

I'm personally a fan of Maxwell (going back to the whole JSTOR public domain material thing), so I find it hard to believe he's in cahoots with BFL, but I don't think he made the correct choice in all posts that were removed. Just my two cents.

Unfortunately, this will only have the effect of making that thread completely irrelevant and no one will want to post anything there any more. Shame.

Federal Trade Commission vs Butterfly Labs

Made ya look. ; )

brush242 ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=199652 ) aka TheBitcoinimist aka Rush Reid aka Ken Hunlenton aka Steve Reid aka perfectlycromulentword aka Stephen Mark Reid says: "BFL is fucked" READ THE EARTH-SHATTERING COMMENTARY AT >>>> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.msg9614841#msg9614841 <<<<
sbogovac
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:26:59 AM

This just got deleted by a mod. in the "BFL fucked us over again" thread:

This is actually a rather quite relevant and nice little find (of Bruno's) that I thought adds to the topic right here too:

(Xian01 tells me that this thread was created because of messages I removed in a thread about BFL)

I don't know and don't care about "dox".  I removed a ton of posts that have absolutely nothing, not even any claim, of having to do with BFL, that were basically making it impossible to find the one in ten posts that were actually about BFL.

For the abstract question ... harassing people is not okay, but there are limits to what can be done about it.

I sent you a PM, bud.

You know what would be interesting to know Bruno; whether the service of Stephen M. Reid as an army interrogator crossed paths with the service of a certain Korean army linguist aka Inaba aka BFL_Josh aka Joshua Ryan Zerlan...

That would certainly shed some light on the entanglement of these here "actors" on BCT....

Or, maybe via their BBS days which overlap.

http://markmail.org/message/azp6mfi7mrsfuqje

- Steve
  - Systems Manager
  - Community Internet Access, Inc.
  - Gallup and Grants, New Mexico

At that time Josh administered BBSs (plural) outta TN.

And there it is, people!

How is the connection between an active and disruptive forum participant and a BFL official considered OFF-TOPIC here Huh

Leeroy Jenkins

Mmmh mhmhh mmmm.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:34:07 AM

How is the connection between an active and disruptive forum participant and a BFL official considered OFF-TOPIC here Huh

Not sure. Seems at least 99% on-topic to me. Sure, one could say it may merely be an allegation, but allegations are what scam-accusation threads are for, which that thread most certainly is.

Made ya look. ; )

brush242 ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=199652 ) aka TheBitcoinimist aka Rush Reid aka Ken Hunlenton aka Steve Reid aka perfectlycromulentword aka Stephen Mark Reid says: "BFL is fucked" READ THE EARTH-SHATTERING COMMENTARY AT >>>> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.msg9614841#msg9614841 <<<<
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:34:57 AM

This just got deleted by a mod. in the "BFL fucked us over again" thread:

This is actually a rather quite relevant and nice little find (of Bruno's) that I thought adds to the topic right here too:

(Xian01 tells me that this thread was created because of messages I removed in a thread about BFL)

I don't know and don't care about "dox".  I removed a ton of posts that have absolutely nothing, not even any claim, of having to do with BFL, that were basically making it impossible to find the one in ten posts that were actually about BFL.

For the abstract question ... harassing people is not okay, but there are limits to what can be done about it.

I sent you a PM, bud.

You know what would be interesting to know Bruno; whether the service of Stephen M. Reid as an army interrogator crossed paths with the service of a certain Korean army linguist aka Inaba aka BFL_Josh aka Joshua Ryan Zerlan...

That would certainly shed some light on the entanglement of these here "actors" on BCT....

Or, maybe via their BBS days which overlap.

http://markmail.org/message/azp6mfi7mrsfuqje

- Steve
  - Systems Manager
  - Community Internet Access, Inc.
  - Gallup and Grants, New Mexico

At that time Josh administered BBSs (plural) outta TN.

And there it is, people!

Is it on topic? I've asked that question countless times now and can't get an answer. How is this guy (brush242-the doxed attorney) connected to BFL? I went back through the posts that are left and can't see it (there's still a lot of irrelevent shit in that thread BTW).

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:38:03 AM

Not sure. Seems at least 99% on-topic to me. Sure, one could say it may merely be an allegation, but allegations are what scam-accusation threads are for, which that thread most certainly is.

If it's a scam accusation thread then why is it in Mining>Hardware? The whole fucking thread is off topic!

Leeroy Jenkins

Mmmh mhmhh mmmm.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:39:54 AM

If it's a scam accusation thread then why is it in Mining>Hardware? The whole fucking thread is off topic!

How long has it been since you put your head in the sand. Get out of here! Grin

Response: That has been addressed hundreds of times. The mods in their infinite kindness let it stay there since people have always gone there for that thread.

Made ya look. ; )

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:45:06 AM

Response: pay attention. That has been addressed hundreds of times. The mods in their infinite kindness let it stay there since people have always gone there for that thread.

That's the answer I wanted, thanks. Then no one here has the right to bitch about a few posts being deleted or about collusion between forum mods and BFL. The thread should be moved but because the mods want to ensure relevant info reaches potential buyers they are allowing an off topic thread to remain but demand it serves it's purpose. How can anyone be upset with that?

Leeroy Jenkins

Mmmh mhmhh mmmm.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:47:19 AM

That's the answer I wanted, thanks. Then no one here has the right to bitch about a few posts being deleted or about collusion between forum mods and BFL. The thread should be moved but because the mods want to ensure relevant info reaches potential buyers they are allowing an off topic thread to remain but demand it serves it's purpose. How can anyone be upset with that?

Two can play at that game. If the mods have left it there (it being totally off-topic), why ironically exercise moderation duties in the interest of being "on-topic"? The fact that it is there is practically an admission of less stringent posting rules. But the point is people's posts that were on-topic to the thread itself were deleted, which was atypically excessive for such a thread. (Was that last sentence understated enough?)

Made ya look. ; )

sbogovac
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:49:01 AM

Response: pay attention. That has been addressed hundreds of times. The mods in their infinite kindness let it stay there since people have always gone there for that thread.

Because there is still a lot of new information being found on a regular basis. If that information-flow is disrupted - be it by forum participants or moderators - I am upset! (The last bit of info being the millions that were washed by BFL using Bitpay, which seems to me to be quite relevant to that thread...)

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:54:19 AM

Two can play at that game. If the mods have left it there (it being totally off-topic), why ironically exercise moderation duties in the interest of being "on-topic"? The fact that it is there is practically an admission of less stringent posting rules. But the point is people's posts that were on-topic to the thread itself were deleted, which was atypically excessive for such a thread.

I don't think so. When someone grants you a consession then you need to be polite and play by their rules. Maxwell could have easily just moved the whole thread and left it at that. All of that extraneous shit doesn't need to be there to get the message across to newbies that BFL=BAD. If you are discovering new information that truly can assist in a court case against them then contact the FTC, FBI or someone else. Rehashing the same shit for 700+ pages won't help a newbie figure out BFL is a crook.

I know everyone in that thread is passionate about seeing justice, as you should be, but you still need to think about the reason for that thread and who is letting you do it.

Leeroy Jenkins

Mmmh mhmhh mmmm.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:55:36 AM

I don't think so. When someone grants you a consession then you need to be polite and play by their rules. Maxwell could have easily just moved the whole thread and left it at that. All of that extraneous shit doesn't need to be there to get the message across to newbies that BFL=BAD. If you are discovering new information that truly can assist in a court case against them then contact the FTC, FBI or someone else. Rehashing the same shit for 700+ pages won't help a newbie figure out BFL is a crook.

I know everyone in that thread is passionate about seeing justice, as you should be, but you still need to think about the reason for that thread and who is letting you do it.

So you, like some, don't want to discuss anything. Why are you here?

Made ya look. ; )

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:02:23 AM

So you, like some, don't want to discuss anything. Why are you here?

At what point did I say that? It's good to bring up new things that help. I want you to do it and I want you to do it in any part of the forum that makes sense. I just see a lot of crap being restated in a new way post after post that's even hard for me to follow and I've watched the story from the beginning. Do you expect someone that doesn't know the story to be able to weed through all that and understand what's going on? I bet the real info there could be condensed into about 30 pages. Dree condensed the entire scam, hack and fraud history of Bitcoin into fewer pages than that!

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: