Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:26:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Simplify Bitcoin  (Read 2339 times)
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 06:36:46 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2012, 08:40:33 AM by Realpra

Together with others I developed a (EDIT: theoretical) scalable swarm client.

1. Each client does part of the work and watches only a part of the chain.
2. Each node works like a full node in that it trusts no one and it does verification.
3. The swarm network would be able to communicate with the normal BTC network, no fork needed.
4. To avoid security problems the swarm nodes would use public keys to communicate over instead of hijackable IPs. Avoids the isolation attack I think the regular client was also susceptible to before the recent fix.

Its slightly complicated, but it would scale infinitely and require zero trusted super nodes. Fees would also be near zero. Smartphones could run a full node like swarm node.

No one has found a flaw behind it yet... except that "it's hard to program"... I kid you not.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rupy (OP)

Activity: 725
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 07:43:08 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2012, 08:08:51 AM by rupy

You cannot have global real-time consensus. Just the fact that the speed of light is finite prevents communication from being instantaneous. Whatever limitation you build on accounts or transactions or wallets or addresses, you'll always be able to create two conflicting transactions, and only tell part of the world about each.

I agree, but there must be some other way of globally synchronizing transactions that nobody has thought of yet, or is supernodes the only way?

So how would you fix the scalability issues of BTC?
I think Bitcoin is already perfectly capable of scaling up.  Here's one half-baked idea for how to do it:
  http://gavintech.blogspot.com/2012/07/off-chain-transactions.html  (pasted below to save you a click):

You are talking about supernodes of sort, I'm looking for a atomic solution... but if you wan't this then we could just make the pools into these supernodes, they already 'are/can be' if you leave your money there, but I don't think any pool admin would like that responsibility...

One other way is to make the destination node encrypt the transaction with something that the origin node "doesn't know" but that the verifying nodes can read in real-time to make sure the balance of the origin is up-to-date... if we trust the destination to embed a timestamp... hmm, I'm just throwing ideas at the browser here.

What we have now is a complete register of every transaction, what I'm trying to achieve is to have shorter history of transaction for each user and by rolling back every transaction until everyone has the latest transaction somehow making the transactions synchronized even if it makes you able to only send one transaction per day...

Or we could make it the block winning nodes job to track who owns what part of that block... messy!

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 08:42:45 AM

What we have now is a complete register of every transaction, what I'm trying to achieve is to have shorter history of transaction for each user and by rolling back every transaction until everyone has the latest transaction somehow making the transactions synchronized even if it makes you able to only send one transaction per day...

The current implementation keeps all transaction around, yes, but Bitcoin is designed from the start to allow "pruning", removing transactions which are old and fully spent already. This is described in Satoshi's paper. It's certainly not true that fully verifying nodes need to keep every transaction around forever.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
rupy (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 10:09:38 AM

Ok, but when will this be implemented? My SSD is running out of space! Wink

vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 10:19:58 AM

Ok, but when will this be implemented? My SSD is running out of space! Wink
I assume it will be when it becomes a problem for the majority of users. There are more pressing issues at hand. If you're not able to run a full node than try one of the thin clients.
rupy (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 10:32:39 AM

I'll start playing around with the java client from google... maybe i'll learn something...

vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 10:54:15 AM

I'll start playing around with the java client from google... maybe i'll learn something...
No need for you to dive into the code, MultiBit is based on BitcoinJ. Electrum is another great thin client.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: