Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:22:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So much lulz in this article.... (5 reasons you should avoid Bitcoin)  (Read 3269 times)
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 10:12:06 PM

For an average person her arguments seem legit, and it couldn't be shrugged off as easy as "Ponzi Scheme" argument. I think that for the next year those will be most popular among Bitcoin detractors, not because it's good but because it's something general public understands. I know why she is wrong, but countering her arguments requires analytics and hard numbers, so I am going to play devil's advocate here to see what we can come up with.

Was just poking fun at her article, if I wanted to counter it, I would have used bigger words  Grin

We will hear those arguments repeated over and over again, I was just thinking that maybe we should try to come up with the answers in a wiki-like format.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 03:10:05 AM

We will hear those arguments repeated over and over again, I was just thinking that maybe we should try to come up with the answers in a wiki-like format.
Or perhaps something like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=89772
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 03:50:17 AM

Many people believe that governments create money by printing new bills whenever they need more spending cash. But that’s not actually true.

Money is created when banks lend it out. If you have, say, $100 in your bank account, and the bank lends $90 of it to someone else to start a business, the total amount of money effectively in circulation has almost doubled.

I will no longer be involved with Bitcoin after today upon reading the above. Anybody want to my my user name on this forum?

Senior Writer
Computerworld
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Publishing industry
February 2000 – May 2001 (1 year 4 months)

Covered the financial services beat, with occasional technology management features. Travel included technology conferences around the United States and a week-long trip to Russia to interview that country's top banking officials.

I can't wait to read what the Junior writers pen. Perhaps stuff my 10-year-old nephew can grasp.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 04:18:33 AM

*facepalm*

Someone that hates bitcoin is paying her to write this. Example of above quote. Hmmm.

Hosting companies Dreamland Metaverse and TalentRaspel specialize in setting up custom virtual currencies for private grids — and the Website infrastructure needed to manage them. And the currency modules are also available, if you have the technical skills to set it up on your own.

The article actually links to these two.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 06:31:50 AM

So maybe the translation is simply "we don't yet have a module that uses bitcoin as the primary in-world currency, so until we do bitcoin is a bad idea".

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
edmundedgar

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

https://www.realitykeys.com

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2012, 01:40:12 AM

So maybe the translation is simply "we don't yet have a module that uses bitcoin as the primary in-world currency, so until we do bitcoin is a bad idea".

I don't think that's what she's getting at - most of her objections seem to be quite fundamental. Actually that was the strangest thing about the piece - she goes into all that weird, abstract stuff about early adopters being undeserving and banks making your money work hard, without mentioning the fact that there is no practical way for grid owners to use Bitcoin even if they want to, because nobody's written a Bitcoin money module yet.

Anyhow I wrote a response here. I've tried to keep it specific to actual practical concerns faced by people who operate OpenSim grids, and if people make more general comments about fiat banking and things I reserve the right to moderate them.

http://edmundintokyo.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/5-reasons-grids-should-use-bitcoin-if-i-ever-get-around-to-finishing-the-money-server/
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 02:22:30 AM

*facepalm*

Someone that hates bitcoin is paying her to write this. Example of above quote. Hmmm.

Hosting companies Dreamland Metaverse and TalentRaspel specialize in setting up custom virtual currencies for private grids — and the Website infrastructure needed to manage them. And the currency modules are also available, if you have the technical skills to set it up on your own.

The article actually was paid by those two, who may well be one and the same lol
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 02:27:48 AM

*facepalm*

The article actually was paid by those two, who may well be one and the same lol

I am confused, my quote is linked in the article? I don't follow, could someone explain to me in a way I might understand?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 02:36:06 AM

*facepalm*

I am confused, my quote is linked in the article? I don't follow, could someone explain to me in a way I might understand?

No, the 2 companies on that quote below yours are linked from the article, on the last paragraph. Altho it' just links to blog posts about those comanies, it's still advertising.

Nothing more than a sponsored blog post.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 02:37:05 AM

*facepalm*

No, the 2 companies on that quote below yours are linked from the article, on the last paragraph. Altho it' just links to blog posts about those comanies, it's still advertising.

Nothing more than a sponsored blog post.

Oh, I'm removing it out of my post then.
augustocroppo
VIP

Merit: 503

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 02:59:05 AM

You also get the full weight of the FBI, Interpol, and various other local and global agencies who are busy chasing financial criminals.

Cool

She must deal a lot with the FBI and Interpol...
niko

Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 03:44:49 AM

You also get the full weight of the FBI, Interpol, and various other local and global agencies who are busy chasing financial criminals.

Cool

She must deal a lot with the FBI and Interpol...
Yeah, the quality of the photo and of her writing are appropriate...

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2012, 03:48:43 AM

5. Bitcoins are unfair

Yeah bitch, life is unfair.
Leezyist

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 04:18:00 AM

This article makes me want to rage and facepalm at the same time. -_-
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 04:18:31 AM

This article makes me want to rage and facepalm at the same time. -_-
Just remember we were nubs once.....
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 10:19:09 AM

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2012, 12:28:15 PM

Many financial firms will even cover your losses for you — credit card customers, for example, aren’t liable for fraudulent charges made to their accounts.

Dear "Sponsored Blogger" Maria

Your post is a fail of gigantic proportion except for the reply-generation and traffic you are getting thanks to the bitcoin forum.
There are many ways to reply to it but I will address just one of the many fallacies your article is riddled with.
Credit card fraud is growing. +12% last year in the country where I live (France) in spite of 3DS and other pathetic attempts of security by propaganda.
The cost of credit card fraud is borne mostly by online merchants who are then forced to integrate it as a premium in the price offered to their customers.
The bitcoin technology is an innovation by which people can buy online without using their credit card number: it's just faster, simpler and safer.
This reason alone convinced me that bitcoin is going to be huge as a transaction network.
Will it be big as a stand alone currency as well ?
Future will tell but my bet is that if the network is bound to be successful, the currency flowing through it will start being happily accepted by merchants without automatic conversion to fiat.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 01:17:40 PM

It is the same phenomenon that occurs whenever Paul Krugman writes about something - seeing someone who is so retarded, come out in opposition to one's position, makes a wonderful argument for why that position is actually valid.

In any case, I deemed this article the Worst Bitcoin Article of All Time.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 02:53:57 PM

It is the same phenomenon that occurs whenever Paul Krugman writes about something - seeing someone who is so retarded, come out in opposition to one's position, makes a wonderful argument for why that position is actually valid.

Krug even looks retarded. Cheesy
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:23:46 AM

True in this case but not in general:
http://lesswrong.com/lw/lw/reversed_stupidity_is_not_intelligence/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: