Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:51:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to end Bitcoin with as little as 15% of hashpower efficiently  (Read 2464 times)
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:19:57 PM

So, let's look at the counterarguments again:

- you can't just buy 15% of the hash rate
- miners wouldn't just shut down and make an even higher loss, because the bought costly hardware they now don't use.
- even in an event of 50% hash rate loss, that just means 20 min for a confirmation and 4 weeks for an adjustment and than it is back to normal

The only argument you bring in here is some kind of network effect, but you just can't predict, how other actors would react.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:20:33 PM

Should I be prepared for an assault by dragons too? I mean, as long as you're accusing me of sticking my head in the sand when confronted by purely imaginary risks?

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
turvarya

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:25:55 PM

if you would DDOS some larger pools at the same time and would be able to at least temporary take them down this could be a ride.
Getting better by the minute.  Tongue

Don't say it wouldn't be possible for a rich individual to turn the killswitch with an orchestrated attack because it is.
So, what? Pools don't actually have any hashing power. People go to another pool. Just another scenario, where there is just a short disturbance.

smalltimer

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:29:54 PM

some potent stuff here. You guys are pretty wicked though cooking stuff like this up.

The denying bagholders is just normal. I consider it 'noise' at this point.

depends on who you are

Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:31:30 PM

where there is just a short disturbance.

A very short disturbance, mining software lets you set failover pools, pretty much every miner is set up with them, can't contact pool for a few seconds, NEXT!

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
turvarya

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:32:48 PM

some potent stuff here. You guys are pretty wicked though cooking stuff like this up.

depends on who you are
Oh, I forgot about that mighty wizard living in this big dark castle.

What about my other arguments?

smalltimer

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:36:28 PM

depends on who you are

i think one shouldn't be too sure about things because being too sure about oneself greatly increases the risks to be caught off guard.
The attack pointed out here is not easy to carry out but in case it would be successful it would be the end of bitcoin. I've also not seen it in this form before and the combination of these different attacks makes it quite potent.
Talking it down to the point of denial is always a good strategy  Roll Eyes    (not)
turvarya

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:46:47 PM

depends on who you are

i think one shouldn't be too sure about things because being too sure about oneself greatly increases the risks to be caught off guard.
The attack pointed out here is not easy to carry out but in case it would be successful it would be the end of bitcoin. I've also not seen it in this form before and the combination of these different attacks makes it quite potent.
Talking it down to the point of denial is always a good strategy  Roll Eyes    (not)
So, please tell me, who can buy 15% of the hash rate, in what time schedule? It's not like, I go in the store and say: "Here is 1 billion dollar, one 15% of Bitcoin hash rate, please".

Still, nothing about my other counter arguments.

smalltimer

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:52:00 PM

So, please tell me, who can buy 15% of the hash rate, in what time schedule? It's not like, I go in the store and say: "Here is 1 billion dollar, one 15% of Bitcoin hash rate, please".

if i was a gov or a central bank i'd probably get all the hash i wanted. If nobody would deliver to me i would have the recouces to build my own asics. Does this even need to be explained?

other arguments are false very likely. The claim 50% drop would cause 20 minutes blocks is likely wrong. I'd think they would take much longer.
Let's ask the other way: at what hashrate loss would a block take 3,10 or 12 hours to solve?
turvarya

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:55:56 PM

if i was a gov or a central bank i'd probably get all the hash i wanted. If nobody would deliver to me i would have the recouces to build my own asics. Does this even need to be explained?
So, they would compete with all the other ASIC-developers.
You can't enter a market as a newbie and become one of the big players in a short time.

smalltimer

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:57:25 PM

You can't enter a market as a newbie and become one of the big players in a short time.

I'm sure a government can hire their experts. This discussion becomes tiring.
periander

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:59:41 PM

other arguments are false very likely. The claim 50% drop would cause 20 minutes blocks is likely wrong. I'd think they would take much longer.
Let's ask the other way: at what hashrate loss would a block take 3,10 or 12 hours to solve?

lol. rly. its math boy.
turvarya

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:00:43 PM

So, you are sure. That is really convenient.
That is just another way to say, you have no idea what you are talking about.

razibuzouzou

Activity: 354
Merit: 251

coinorama.net

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 02:01:12 PM

depends on who you are

Go ahead and make a list of costs and constraints (manufacturing, logistics, etc.) for achieving 15%.
Please, take into account the time necessary to build these 15% (currently 50 PH/s) from scratch; and your actual hashrate share by the time you're done...
Finally, make a list of actors that could meet those costs and actually be able to achieve 15%.
periander

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:04:28 PM

to answer your question:

if you want ~3h blocks you need to bring the hashrate down to only: 5%
if you want ~12h blocks you need to bring the hashrate down to only: 1.4%

good luck with that.

the more interesting (and hypothetical) part is: what happens after the difficult adjustment, after all the hashpower comes back at a very low difficult Tongue

razibuzouzou

Activity: 354
Merit: 251

coinorama.net

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 02:07:04 PM

Please, go ahead. Here are the basic formula :

target_hashrate = DIFFICULTY * 7.158278826666667 # target hashrate (MH/s)
actual_hashrate = target_hashrate * (600 / TIME_PER_BLOCK) # hashrate for a block that took TIME_PER_BLOCK seconds to solve (MH/s)
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:10:06 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2015, 05:36:07 PM by elasticband

This is what people say when they have ran out of facts or analysis to back up there claims, fuck the math & facts, send the bogey man in
smalltimer

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:16:59 PM

the more interesting (and hypothetical) part is: what happens after the difficult adjustment, after all the hashpower comes back at a very low difficult Tongue

what happens after they come back at low diff should be the next 2016 blocks will be mined very fast. So 2 weeks of mining in maybe a day or two (depending on how big the difference). So actually everyone would mine like mad in case the attack doesn't kill it, right?

This is certainly more interesting now.
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:18:23 PM

other arguments are false very likely. The claim 50% drop would cause 20 minutes blocks is likely wrong.

I'm very sorry to inform you that due to a very large dump of stupid on this forum of late, it's currently worth nothing, not even the usual 2 cents. Maybe you should save it up in a cold wallet for a while.

Muuurrrrica!

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:43:56 PM

someone should at least try it just to make sure
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: