Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:48:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp: Less than 19,000 BTC lost !!!  (Read 3932 times)
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 05:34:43 PM

My question is why are so many people leaving funds on exchanges like they're banks? We all know this is a possibility.

... says the person whoring out his sig space to PayBase.

just sayin'

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 05:41:46 PM

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO OUR CUSTOMERS:

January 6, 2015, 12:34am UTC: We have temporarily suspended Bitstamp services. Bitstamp customers can rest assured that their bitcoins held with us prior to temporary suspension of services on January 5th (at 9am UTC) are completely safe and will be honored in full.

On January 4th, some of Bitstamp’s operational wallets were compromised, resulting in a loss of less than 19,000 BTC. Upon learning of the breach, we immediately notified all customers that they should no longer make deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. To repeat, customers should NOT make any deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. As an additional security measure, we suspended our systems while we fully investigate the incident and actively engage with law enforcement officials.
This breach represents a small fraction of Bitstamp’s total bitcoin reserves, the overwhelming majority of which are held in secure offline cold storage systems. We would like to reassure all Bitstamp customers that their balances held prior to our temporary suspension of services will not be affected and will be honored in full.

We appreciate customers’ patience during this disruption of services. We are working to transfer a secure backup of the Bitstamp site onto a new safe environment and will be bringing this online in the coming days. Customers can stay informed via updates on our website, on Twitter (@Bitstamp) and through Bitstamp customer support at support@bitstamp.net.

- Bitstamp Team

Source: https://www.bitstamp.net

Can they cover it from their cold storage ? 19,000 BTC is equivalent to more than 5 million USD at current market price.

Damn , That's a huge amount of Money they lost , I feel sorry for people who lost their money.
btw what Bitsmap exactly ? I never used it to be honest but I see a lot of people speaking about it , I know some people use it to check the price of BTC but I use preev.com  , is it some kinda of exchange cryptoo currency websites like Allcoin ?  Huh  Huh

Labteck

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 05:43:41 PM

Get up guys, you have been Goxed

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████  █████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████  ██████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████  ███████████████████████████████████████
 ▀███████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
       VIORCOIN[by_conty] ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
████████████████████  █████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████  ██████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████  ███████████████████████████████████████
 ▀███████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
        Make International Calls
      Cheap and More Secure
elephantas1

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 05:52:23 PM

Get up guys, you have been Goxed
do you have any proof before making everyone pessimistic? if not just shut up
samba11

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 06:23:42 PM

i don't know what the exact story is but please take every bitcoin news with a grain of salt.
these "hack"/"theft" could well be a set up done by banksters, fear mongering is all they have to slow down the inevitable btc mass adoption.
the W twin brother were vouching for bitstamp, the whole W brothers mainstream coverage is shady imo.
developers out there needs to focus on finding easy way for people to store their bitcoin offline/paper wallet and exchanges needs to be decentralized.
think about this : if bitstamp owner had enough funds to cover the loss why would he publicly post the exact amount of btc "stolen" ? press coverage...
he could have closed site temporarily with another excuse and meanwhile transfer cold storage to hot wallet so no one suspect anything
this story doesn't add up
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 06:41:08 PM

My question is why are so many people leaving funds on exchanges like they're banks? We all know this is a possibility.

... says the person whoring out his sig space to PayBase.

just sayin'
Wink I don't have funds on there I am one of those big bad profiting dumpers. Now if you would like to go picking a fight you can go looking somewhere else.

Just Sayin'

Do I use the exchange for the reason? Yeah if i need paycoins quickly I use them.

mmhh hmmm... surely, you're aware that the voices claiming that they are unable to withdraw from PayBase are are increasing in volume? Nevermind the fact that all evidence (e.g. 96% premine, not accepting Paycoin for their own products, ...) points to Paycoin being a classic Ponzi.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:30:08 PM

mmhh hmmm... surely, you're aware that the voices claiming that they are unable to withdraw from PayBase are are increasing in volume? Nevermind the fact that all evidence (e.g. 96% premine, not accepting Paycoin for their own products, ...) points to Paycoin being a classic Ponzi.
I have zero cares about that, I am not GAW and I am diversified in my investments, I don't care if it is a ponzi because I am not foolish enough to poor tons of cash into it or any other altcoin.

I have 30 bucks in paycoin right now and if it goes up, cool I've double my money and will change it back into bitcoin probably through paybase as i have had no issues on there. If not, oh well.

Ok fine. You are unconcerned that -- in some little part perhaps due to your shilling -- someone somewhere might actually get taken to the cleaners by using Paybase. It is good to know this about you. Unsettling, disturbing, depressing maybe even - but good to at least know this about you. I shall likely remember. As should all reading this.

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:21:37 PM

i don't know what the exact story is but please take every bitcoin news with a grain of salt.
these "hack"/"theft" could well be a set up done by banksters, fear mongering is all they have to slow down the inevitable btc mass adoption.
the W twin brother were vouching for bitstamp, the whole W brothers mainstream coverage is shady imo.
developers out there needs to focus on finding easy way for people to store their bitcoin offline/paper wallet and exchanges needs to be decentralized.
think about this : if bitstamp owner had enough funds to cover the loss why would he publicly post the exact amount of btc "stolen" ? press coverage...
he could have closed site temporarily with another excuse and meanwhile transfer cold storage to hot wallet so no one suspect anything
this story doesn't add up

They have to close down the site, since they don't know, how far the hack goes. Maybe the system is still compromised and newly added Bitcoin would go to the hacker. At least the Bitcoin from the compromised addresses are no longer in full control of Bitstamp.
Makes sense to me to close down their whole system.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Hope78

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:27:47 PM

I've always liked Bitstamp, but that's insane Shocked
firewire2013

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:50:41 PM

Anyone want to buy 18,871.69541682 BTC  Tongue

I think this was an attempt to drive the price of bitcoin further into mud, I foresee many attacks on Bitcoin this year.

BTC: 1BbJmzqcxnJEc3gPcBFbjoUnRB9WGHZ3Cf
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 09:00:12 PM

"less than 19k BTC", what a bad word play, its ~5million usd or sould I say less than 1 billion usd  Roll Eyes
Yeah its really weird that the used "less than 19k BTC" its been a few days..n they could have posted the exact value..if they r so called transparent. less than 19k BTC means it could just be 0.5BTC or even 0..lol.! who knows?

newIndia (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 09:12:54 PM

"less than 19k BTC", what a bad word play, its ~5million usd or sould I say less than 1 billion usd  Roll Eyes
Yeah its really weird that the used "less than 19k BTC" its been a few days..n they could have posted the exact value..if they r so called transparent. less than 19k BTC means it could just be 0.5BTC or even 0..lol.! who knows?

According to latest speculation, here is the exact value => https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 09:20:44 PM

I must say that I feel really sorry for Bitstamp.

Also I have many questions their security.

Second biggest Bitcoin exchange in the world lost 19k of BTC.

There is no any safe exchange out there and we will need to wait few years to make it happen if this is ever possible.

This is kinda nothing new and we all know it. Just it is a little bit sad.

Life goes on! Smiley So it's Bitcoin.
wesk1212

Activity: 486
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 09:23:17 PM

this whole BTC shit are starting to get annoying.
Im cashing out all my bitcoins soon before it gets to 200$ and before coinbase lose 20,00000 bitcoin something like that
f this shit I'll just invest in metals

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 09:31:45 PM

Im cashing out all my bitcoins soon before it gets to 200$ and before coinbase lose 20,00000 bitcoin something like that

I suggest you to calm down.

Bitcoin is not an investment. Bitcoin is a digital currency which allow you to make a transaction with any person around the world with no 3rd party companies operating your transaction.

If you look at the Bitcoin only in a matter of a value/price - then I am sorry.

Bitstamp problem is a problem Wink but Bitstamp is only an exchange which will perhaps recover and work again. Indeed there is a problem with security around the Bitcoin world but don't leave this Bitcoin world only because of some issues.

We are in the experimental stage and shit will happens sometimes Wink

Kind regards.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 09:58:30 PM

I have zero cares about that, I am not GAW and I am diversified in my investments, I don't care if it is a ponzi because I am not foolish enough to poor tons of cash into it or any other altcoin.

I have 30 bucks in paycoin right now and if it goes up, cool I've double my money and will change it back into bitcoin probably through paybase as i have had no issues on there. If not, oh well.

Ok fine. You are unconcerned that -- in some little part perhaps due to your shilling -- someone somewhere might actually get taken to the cleaners by using Paybase. It is good to know this about you. Unsettling, disturbing, depressing maybe even - but good to at least know this about you. I shall likely remember. As should all reading this.
You're a joker,

Nope - I'm completely serious.

you are just anti sig campaign

I am not anti sig campaign per se. I am against people using sig campaigns to shill for fraudulent activities.

... am i promoting that someone should go buy paycoin?

No. You are promoting that people use PayBase. An entity whose real reason for existing is likely nothing other than a means for Garza to unload his near-certain Ponzi Paycoins (96% of the total, and proportionally growing due to his 350% staking rate) for others' Bitcoins and other things of actual value.

The fact that your initial post to which I replied was you deriding anyone who kept money on exchanges is just the ironic icing on the proverbial cake.

No I have a signature with an exchange on it, am I trying to get people to believe one thing or another?

Certainly, you're aware that the reason you are paid for whoring for PayBase is due to the fact that sig campaigns net positive cash flow for the people running the campaigns, right? Ergo, your shilling is indeed putting money in PayBase's pocket. If not, they'd not be paying you for it. You are influencing others to believe in the scam. Whether or not you are _trying_ to do so is irrelevant.

... Apparently I am involved with you being scammed...

No. Generally I stay away from scammy entities. Mostly by investing in only things I have researched fully. And I have scant little time for research. This may cause me to pass up some meaningful opportunities for profit, but I am fine with that. AAR, the evidence of GawMiners, PayCoin, and PayBase being scams has been overwhelming from their inception. Accordingly, I have invested nothing in them.

...and with that, I have unintentionally dragged this way off topic. Sorry to all. I shant respond again, except if in another thread.

Just ... think about it, won't you?

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 10:45:55 PM

a loss.

I say that was a theft.
It's a strong reminder that you shall not leave any money at an exchange. I'm stunned that many people still do.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:07:11 PM

It is creepy that they have not solved the issue yet
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:10:45 PM

very good choice. at least, nobody will steal your money. you can go to sleep without fear that in the morning your money are vanished in an ukrainian or russian pocket(hacker)
flipstyle

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:19:43 PM

The overtly optimistc/blind will defend these guys til they burn down to the ground.

IMO, all these supposed 'hacks' of exchanges were nothing more than inside jobs.  Gox, Cryptorush, Coinex, Mintpal, Bitstamp...the list goes on forever.  This is stolen money..and the owners/scammers all just follow the same wordpress template during the situation:

*insert 'down for maintenance page'
*insert 'we have been attacked, please allow us time to address the issue' splash page message
*insert 'we assure your old funds are safe, please bear with us' update message
*insert 'we are terribly sorry but due to the losses we have to close up shop as we are insolvent' finality message, as you strung along users for over a month with enough time to flee your native country, change your legal name, and enjoy your millions you scammed from your own users 

At least with Mintpal, they admitted it.  But at the same time, after reading that whole fiasco, even that seems a bit shady because it's 2 owners deferring blame to a rogue member.  And I have heard zero updated on the court proceedings that supposedly started 3 months ago (and nobody has even verified or attended it)...to which they even raised a good 5 digits worth of bitcoin charity for their supposed prosecution money.

Ridiculous lol.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: