Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:18:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp most likely will buy back the bitcoins they lost  (Read 3561 times)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 12:38:30 PM

by bet is people will take their btc away in fear of getting database USD and some goes to USD holders they will take USD out in fear they will end up having database USD

That is what should happen, but we all know people don't act before it's too late.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:42:24 PM

i think he can afford the best security money can buy and anyway ,nobody knows for sure if he has those coins or not ,we just think he does

im sure he wont be making his whereabouts public knowledge so anyone looking for him would have to pick a country first
then a city etc and track him down somehow

and with a chunk of fudge that size ,he can move around ,stay in hotels ,live in luxury etc

theres no reason to think hes going to be assinated anytime soon although it would be nice lol

Yes, but every employee in any hotel he stays in will immediately recognize him because of his distinctively fat appearance. He will immediately get recognized anywhere else he goes in public for the same reason.

but he can afford to stay in exotic far off  locations ,well out of harms way
its not like the internet warriors who threatened him have their own private jets to investigate every sighting at a moments notice
also many asian hotels may not even know what a bitcoin is ,never mind who karpeles is and what he is accused off....
and thats assuming he still uses the same name ,which he probably doesnt while renting accomodation etc
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 01:52:12 PM

by bet is people will take their btc away in fear of getting database USD and some goes to USD holders they will take USD out in fear they will end up having database USD

There are always people seeing profit there where's risk. Just like when MtGox went down people just couldn't resist sending money in to try and profit from the panic there. It will depend on how Stamp handles the situation when they reopen, if people can freely withdraw their coins and fiat I think it won't be as bad as people think. Sure lots of people will want to move out, while others will stay or send money in in the hopes to profit from panicking people. Overall I do expect the trading volume there to go down though.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
ravenjt

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 01:58:12 PM

It will depend on how Stamp handles the situation when they reopen...

When? If?
I think you are probably right, they will probably reopen, but not definitely.
The thing is, Stamp has to say it will reopen shortly, whatever the situation. If they have actually lost far more and will go bust, they still need to say they will reopen. If they are actually squirrelling money off to Brazil, they still need to say they will reopen. If everything is fine and they are about to reopen, they still need to say they will reopen. There is no situation where they would say otherwise.
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:12:57 PM

i think he (Karpeles) can afford the best security money can buy and anyway ,nobody knows for sure if he has those coins or not ,we just think he does

im sure he wont be making his whereabouts public knowledge so anyone looking for him would have to pick a country first
then a city etc and track him down somehow

and with a chunk of fudge that size ,he can move around ,stay in hotels ,live in luxury etc

theres no reason to think hes going to be assinated anytime soon although it would be nice lol

Yes, but every employee in any hotel he stays in will immediately recognize him because of his distinctively fat appearance. He will immediately get recognized anywhere else he goes in public for the same reason.

He's been working on a new look to help with that  Grin

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:46:58 PM

It will depend on how Stamp handles the situation when they reopen...

When? If?
I think you are probably right, they will probably reopen, but not definitely.
The thing is, Stamp has to say it will reopen shortly, whatever the situation. If they have actually lost far more and will go bust, they still need to say they will reopen. If they are actually squirrelling money off to Brazil, they still need to say they will reopen. If everything is fine and they are about to reopen, they still need to say they will reopen. There is no situation where they would say otherwise.

Good point, but at this point we don't have any reason to believe more than the 18.8k coins that were stolen got compromised. And I don't buy all the conspiracy theories and crap that is said about Bitstamp, theories like these will always pop up whenever something happens anywhere. It always gets blown out of proportion by some people with paranoid fantasies. When MtGox had problems I stated months before its final collapse that it was a sinking ship and there were good reasons to believe so. I do not feel the same way about Stamp, at least not yet.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:03:17 PM

^^
Agree

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
Mikcik

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:32:19 PM

1) Bitstamp has enough to cover in their reserve.

OR

2) They buy the 18K coins through second market or another route. They are NOT going to go to finex and place a market order for 18K coins if that's what some people are thinking. Stamp buying 18K coins will have no affect on the price.

Secondary market is the exchange. Primary market means miners. If you believe they buy from miners, it is understandable to me.

But still, when miners supply the exchanges less coins than before (coz they sold most outputs to bitstamp), will the price go up or not?

Let's assume that, miners usually dump 3600 coins to the open market every week. In the next ten weeks, they will sell half outputs, which is 1800 coins, to bitstamp. Now the supply on the exchange is the remaining 1800 coins. Will this move the price up or down?

it should move the price up
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:56:47 PM

Rational choice is pay back the stolen coin out from their own pocket. They can make back the lost coins in a relatively short time frame?
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 05:44:04 PM

Has anyone figured out or do some calculations whether the big buys on Bitfinex could've been Bitstamp stacking up on coins? If they really had enough coins in their reserves they wouldn't even need to buy back the coins they lost! But it could be a good idea because the price is low!

samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:15:59 PM

1) Bitstamp has enough to cover in their reserve.

OR

2) They buy the 18K coins through second market or another route. They are NOT going to go to finex and place a market order for 18K coins if that's what some people are thinking. Stamp buying 18K coins will have no affect on the price.

Secondary market is the exchange. Primary market means miners. If you believe they buy from miners, it is understandable to me.

But still, when miners supply the exchanges less coins than before (coz they sold most outputs to bitstamp), will the price go up or not?

Let's assume that, miners usually dump 3600 coins to the open market every week. In the next ten weeks, they will sell half outputs, which is 1800 coins, to bitstamp. Now the supply on the exchange is the remaining 1800 coins. Will this move the price up or down?

it should move the price up

I suspect this is why the price has been rising since the bistamp closure.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:04:56 PM

This is I never, never invested fiat and just tried to get Bitcoin through mining alts, trading on pump and dumps of other altcoins and whatnot. I never wanted my data being archived somewhere in a database that says I bought Bitcoin, it defeats the point...

This is also why I trust in MaidSafe as being a true revolution with the p2p decentralized exchanges and in general decentralized internet.
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:07:20 PM

Has anyone figured out or do some calculations whether the big buys on Bitfinex could've been Bitstamp stacking up on coins? If they really had enough coins in their reserves they wouldn't even need to buy back the coins they lost! But it could be a good idea because the price is low!

Could be Stamp employees trading their own accounts.
HarmonLi

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:08:54 PM

But why would they buy that kind of BTC right now? Do you mean in anticipation of the potential buy-rush occurring on Stamp after they re-open their order books again? Why would they rush to buy now?

bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:11:19 PM

But why would they buy that kind of BTC right now? Do you mean in anticipation of the potential buy-rush occurring on Stamp after they re-open their order books again? Why would they rush to buy now?

The most logical explanation is that, yes, they expect higher prices.
HarmonLi

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:16:45 PM

The most logical explanation is that, yes, they expect higher prices.

Phew... alright. This really has to be the consensus as of now. Everyone seems to believe that. I proclaim a self-fulfilling prophecy as soon as Stamp opens up its gates again. I really hope they clear their order books before starting trading again.

phlogistonq

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 09:40:45 PM

I hear that, coincidentally, there happens to also be someone sitting on 18k this week looking to sell it off-exchange.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 10:12:15 PM

The thing is, Stamp has to say it will reopen shortly, whatever the situation. If they have actually lost far more and will go bust, they still need to say they will reopen. If they are actually squirreling money off to Brazil, they still need to say they will reopen. If everything is fine and they are about to reopen, they still need to say they will reopen. There is no situation where they would say otherwise.
Right.

The same reasoning applies after they reopened. We don't know if they have enough capital of their own to cover the $5M loss.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:32:27 PM

The thing is, Stamp has to say it will reopen shortly, whatever the situation. If they have actually lost far more and will go bust, they still need to say they will reopen. If they are actually squirreling money off to Brazil, they still need to say they will reopen. If everything is fine and they are about to reopen, they still need to say they will reopen. There is no situation where they would say otherwise.
Right.

The same reasoning applies after they reopened. We don't know if they have enough capital of their own to cover the $5M loss.

without any proof nobody knows any  details of this hack
how many coins were stolen ?
how many are left in storage etc  ?
were they bailed out by VC partner or was there enough in stamps bank to cover it ?
how can we trust a new system after a couple of days of testing that it wont be exploited like the old system was?
i can understand them not wanting to reveal how exactly how  the hack worked although it would be nice to know to make sure
they have fixed it properly etc and if it was something like a weak password or whatever thats kinda inexcusible for an exchange holding hundreds of millions
of usd

Coinshot

Activity: 521
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:36:14 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2015, 08:55:56 PM by Coinshot

Buy back 19,000 BTCs. It sounds like someone is dreaming that they will buy and push the prices up.

I very much doubt they will have enough money to buy it back, but the low prices will certainly help.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: