Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:25:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting your money where Pirate's mouth is.  (Read 73336 times)
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 10:10:20 PM

AFAIK any search term that is enclosed on quotation marks is an expression search and will only return results that contain said expression.
I've just tried it myself(using quotation marks) and it only shows me around 45k results for each search, not 385k, and the results resturned are very different from each other.

Lrn 2 google Wink

Google has been tuning their searches to individual users for quite some time already, so each user can get a different result. But anyway the totals, though not the ordering, for the two different searches are the same, showing that Google Search is broken, which has been irritating me every day since Google did these changes.

I will stop explaining Google Search here, because we are drifting too far off-topic. I'd like to return to the more interesting question through which institutions (in addition to GPUMAX?) the money is laundered.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 10:20:06 PM

AFAIK any search term that is enclosed on quotation marks is an expression search and will only return results that contain said expression.
I've just tried it myself(using quotation marks) and it only shows me around 45k results for each search, not 385k, and the results resturned are very different from each other.

Lrn 2 google Wink

Google has been tuning their searches to individual users for quite some time already, so each user can get a different result. But anyway the totals, though not the ordering, for the two different searches are the same, showing that Google Search is broken, which has been irritating me every day since Google did these changes.

I will stop explaining Google Search here, because we are drifting too far off-topic. I'd like to return to the more interesting question through which institutions (in addition to GPUMAX?) the money is laundered.

I know very well what personalized search is, but that only ranks certain sites above others depending if you already clicked those results on previous searches or if someone in your G+ circles gave it a +1. Search operators work the same as before and always will. Google isn't broken, I can guarantee.
Stop trying to find excuses. You don't know how to use a search engine, period. Good thing you stopped explaining Google Search here, 'cause you clearly don't know jack shit about it.

Also, I'm still waiting for you literary analysis on Pirate's posts.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 10:20:39 PM

That being said, the reason for the 10% fee on using GPUmax is now absolutely clear:

you mean he should let people use GPUmax for free?

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 06:49:00 AM

I see plenty of native english speakers around here who can't tell the difference between THERE, THEIR and THEY'RE... and it's just a little example as there are much more.

Don't you mean many more?  Wink

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 09:28:30 AM

I see plenty of native english speakers around here who can't tell the difference between THERE, THEIR and THEY'RE... and it's just a little example as there are much more.

Don't you mean many more?  Wink

Oh crap...
But I haz excuze. Me not native-engrish.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 07:29:32 PM

Turns out, GPUmax deposits are sent to BS&T. That makes this flow almost worthless, information wise, and the audit of BS&T even more impossible.

That being said, the reason for the 10% fee on using GPUmax is now absolutely clear: your coins are perfectly laundered, in ALL respects. However, this hasn't made enough income for Pirate to pay for BS&T, not by a long shot.

You get freshly minted coins directly from a pool. How could they be anything less than perfectly laundered? Are you stating the obvious here or am I missing something?

With the possibility of P using GPUMax as a customer to launder BS&T coins to take off with this boils down to the question of how much hashpower there is on GPUMax / how much coins go through GPUMax.

Maged, would it be possible to deduct GPUMax "active" throughput from the 10% fees?

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 08:40:51 PM

You get freshly minted coins directly from a pool. How could they be anything less than perfectly laundered? Are you stating the obvious here or am I missing something?

No, you don't.  The only pool that pays out 'freshly minted' coins that I know of, is eligius, and even then, if its been a while since a block, luke-jr will push out a manual pay and those aren't newly mined.

EIEIO:

phelix
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 09:20:52 PM

No, you don't.  The only pool that pays out 'freshly minted' coins that I know of, is eligius, and even then, if its been a while since a block, luke-jr will push out a manual pay and those aren't newly mined.

now that I think of it, it was only an assumption the pools (other than eligius) pay out directly from the mined blocks. Still, there should not be any connection to the coins used to purchase the shares unless the pool operator is invested in bs&t Cheesy
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:04:48 PM

That being said, the reason for the 10% fee on using GPUmax is now absolutely clear:

you mean he should let people use GPUmax for free?
On the contrary, I'm saying that how well GPUmax can clean coins makes it worth the fee. If anything, he could raise the fee.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:22:32 PM

Turns out, GPUmax deposits are sent to BS&T. That makes this flow almost worthless, information wise, and the audit of BS&T even more impossible.

That being said, the reason for the 10% fee on using GPUmax is now absolutely clear: your coins are perfectly laundered, in ALL respects. However, this hasn't made enough income for Pirate to pay for BS&T, not by a long shot.

Yes, you are. If we pretend that the purchases were sent directly to GPUmax, you could potentially correlate that with what was mined by knowing when the deposit was made, and how big the deposit was. By adding BS&T, though, it becomes impossible to know whether the funds were sent to BS&T or GPUmax. You'll still know the when (after a few days when you can identify that the coins were sent to a BS&T deposit address) and how much, true, but you won't know if the coins were immediately withdrawn or sent to GPUmax. It adds uncertainty. Additionally, it keeps the miners happy because they won't likely end up with tainted coins - instead receiving BS&T coins (remember that Pirate only accepts direct deposits from highly respected members?).

With the possibility of P using GPUMax as a customer to launder BS&T coins to take off with this boils down to the question of how much hashpower there is on GPUMax / how much coins go through GPUMax.

Maged, would it be possible to deduct GPUMax "active" throughput from the 10% fees?
Yes, and just like how anybody could potentially use GPUmax to launder coins, so can Pirate. Remember, GPUmax is profitable, but it cannot sustain BS&T alone.

As for finding out how much Pirate has personally laundered, that's impossible. He could easily correlate any BS&T deposit with his own laundering, making it appear as if the deposit was actually a GPUmax purchase from the outside.

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 04:12:57 PM

Good news everyone! Pirate has 40k more BTC to launder!

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 04:14:07 PM

There are a total of about 50 * 6 * 24 = 7,200 BTC made per day.

If GPUMAX was leasing 24/7 and
If GPUMAX got every coin made and
If you have say 100,000 coins to launder then

100,000 / 7,200 = 14 days

But GPUMAX does not lease shares 24/7 (not even close) and
GPUMAX does not get all the coins every day (not even close).

For example, if we assume GPUMAX represents 10% of the network 10% of the time (for an average of 72 coints per day) then it would take 1,400 days.

My point is that as a laundry, GPUMAX is too slow.

Well, some are estimating he's got 300k.  I'd say the GPUMAX estimates are low, so let's go 25% of the network, 25% of the time.  So 450 clean coins a day.

300,000 / 450 = 666 days.

It must be a sign.

EIEIO:

phelix
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:26:18 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2012, 07:31:39 PM by phelix

Yes, you are. If we pretend that the purchases were sent directly to GPUmax, you could potentially correlate that with what was mined by knowing when the deposit was made, and how big the deposit was. By adding BS&T, though, it becomes impossible to know whether the funds were sent to BS&T or GPUmax. You'll still know the when (after a few days when you can identify that the coins were sent to a BS&T deposit address) and how much, true, but you won't know if the coins were immediately withdrawn or sent to GPUmax. It adds uncertainty. Additionally, it keeps the miners happy because they won't likely end up with tainted coins - instead receiving BS&T coins (remember that Pirate only accepts direct deposits from highly respected members?).

Yes, and just like how anybody could potentially use GPUmax to launder coins, so can Pirate. Remember, GPUmax is profitable, but it cannot sustain BS&T alone.

As for finding out how much Pirate has personally laundered, that's impossible. He could easily correlate any BS&T deposit with his own laundering, making it appear as if the deposit was actually a GPUmax purchase from the outside.

thanks for explaining.

I asked some of the big pool operators for their opinion of the gpumax hashrate. only two have responded so far but it seems to be around 1000-3000gh.

edit: probably towards the lower end of that range

waltmarkers

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:42:11 AM

I wonder if this caught pirate in USD or coin? This run today is exactly the short term volatility pirate was talking about. Hopefully since he just paid interest he hadn't sold coin already....
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:47:17 AM

I wonder if this caught pirate in USD or coin? This run today is exactly the short term volatility pirate was talking about. Hopefully since he just paid interest he hadn't sold coin already....
It's probably him, buying coins for a payout. Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 11:01:50 AM

Good news everyone! Pirate has 40k more BTC to launder!

Can someone please explain this to me? Where does that number come from?
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 11:04:51 AM

It's probably him, buying coins for a payout. Grin

he sure said it was him:

Bid wall has disappeared

<pirateat40> well guys, i think i've scared off the sellers. I'm tired and going to call it night and let the bots play.  IRCFrEAK, im pulling the my wall and dumping.... Get ready!

it's easy to get the impression that this is where he makes all the profits. but I looked into it a little and I don't think you can make enough by gaming the markets - even with his amount of coins. at least not on a regular basis. Also there was very little volatility for a long time.

bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 11:23:54 AM

the horse only dabbles in trading apparently Smiley
but with whose coins though?

hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 11:40:00 AM

he never claimed to make money trading, he claimed to use the coins to stabilize the markets so he can sell at a set price. clearly is was showing what could happen if the price was not stable.

If you want to sell and the price has risen, you are happy to sell at the higher price and don't want any stabilization. In fact, your selling would help to stabilize the market price.

If the price has gone down, then what? You first buy to raise the market price, then you sell more than you bought, and that should make you more money?

Great trick! Have you ever tried it? Or what exactly did you mean?
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:58:55 PM

he sure said it was him:
Bid wall has disappeared
<pirateat40> well guys, i think i've scared off the sellers. I'm tired and going to call it night and let the bots play.  IRCFrEAK, im pulling the my wall and dumping.... Get ready!

I'm going through the #bitcoin chatlog from yesterday.

04:31 <pirateat40> i take full responsibility.
04:39 <pirateat40> crashed is != corrected.
04:42 <pirateat40> we don't want another bubble and my charts/triggers were screaming at me.

There's a lot more. But it's a long and chaotic story, wherein the pirate causes a storm in the market.

He makes it quite clear through word and action that he alone was behind yesterday's crazyness.

This was not natural, and had nothing to do with KimDotCom.

Protip:
[2012-07-17 05:13:52] <pirateat40> I'm just going to say this time.... If you panic buy, you're going to lose.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: