Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:00:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitBucks - a discussion starter  (Read 11627 times)
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 25, 2010, 10:52:26 AM

And education, and the environment. It's a sad truth, we're mostly all sheep. But all it takes is a good sheppard....

My wife & I homeschool our two kids, I know what you mean.

I see you do Smiley We have done the same for the past few years, and have even joined in with a group of people to open an alternative school, but it's quite a struggle. Even those who consider themselves alternative are way more biased than they think, and in a frightening, so are we.

No, I live in Portugal. You probably will do alright in Portugal when the US comes to grips with the fascist state they are (there, I fixed that for you).
Truth that.  I really meant to say "when the US becomes an *openly* fascist state".
Our government sucks, our system is always in the verge of collapse but we still are very down to earth people and the truth is that we are years behind most every other country which, in my personal opinion, is a major bonus. And the beaches where I live are great.
A government always on it's deathbed is ideal from the perspectives of a libertarian.  Far better to deal with an agent of the state that is always one screw-up away from the unemployment line than an agent of a nanny state with nearly limitless resources.
I think most Europeans don't understand 'libertarian' but you guys might still call us 'liberals' since that term was never corrupted so in Europe.

We don't tiptoe around knowing things will collapse, mind you. Every single one of us knows the thing is dying and we "blame the government", we "blame the EU", we "blame the immigrants", in a nutshell, we "blame everyone else".
But while this is really bad for the country, as very little gets done, it does provide kind of a safeguard if you're trying to live an alternative life.

I do go to Brazil often enough and have very dear friends there, so if you ever need to quickly escape I can make your arrival easier Wink

From an  economic view, Brazil is probably the best place to be right now. They not only have a growing economy, unlike everyone else, but they also still accept that people will do business with people, not just with taxed businesses. It's a reality they don't fight.

They even have a name for people who run local businesses without having an formal business. We call them illegal, they call them informal... it's beautiful.

Sounds like my kind of place.

Yep. Things will change as their economy grows, I guess, but there's a set unspoken way of doing things that is cultural. Financial overlords go to great lengths to overpower and effectively transform cultural traditions, so as to use them to their own benefit (think Coke - why is santa dressed in red again?) so the danger is always there, but I have hopes the whole global system will collapse due to excess awareness from the people... one can always hope!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

August 25, 2010, 11:27:33 AM

@nelisky

I congratulate you for homeschooling your kids.How do you find the free time to do it?
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 25, 2010, 12:06:43 PM

@nelisky

I congratulate you for homeschooling your kids.How do you find the free time to do it?

I may have mislead you to believe I play an active role, my wife does all the hard work Smiley

In all seriousness, I work from home, we travel a lot, my wife is dedicated to education in many ways, and thus is the perfect educator for our kids. But they will be going to regular school this year, as they are now teens and, quite frankly, we have done our share. Now they have the tools to 'survive in the wild' or so we like to think. It is part of the process I guess.
Red (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
August 25, 2010, 03:10:59 PM

It turns out it's not as hard a you would think. We home schooled our kids until high school. Then they just seemed to pickup bad habits.

It turns out public schools are just broken as designed.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 25, 2010, 06:08:26 PM

It turns out it's not as hard a you would think. We home schooled our kids until high school. Then they just seemed to pickup bad habits.

It turns out public schools are just broken as designed.

Why do so many homeschooling parents quit at high school?  I went to private school for 12 years, and I learned more on my own from a nearly complete encyclopedia set, a library card, and eventually the invention of the Wide World Web than I ever did in high school.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Red (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
August 25, 2010, 06:37:21 PM

Purely pragmatic needs to work more and earn more FRN. In my case at least. Nothing special about high school except kids want to go to the prom. Seriously! That and high school is where the hot chicks are! :-) those were my kids thoughts at the time.
Anonymous

August 26, 2010, 12:08:11 PM

You might enjoy this podcast.
http://www.schoolsucksproject.com/

The twelve-year process of an American public education has a dramatic effect on the mind of a child. When we first enter school at age six, many of our best personal attributes are already in place. We are curious, innovative, unique and creative in ways that we will rarely be able to replicate throughout the rest of our lives. But over time, school sucks those essential attributes out of too many of us…and replaces them with predictability, obedience and indifference.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2010, 05:35:23 AM

You might enjoy this podcast.
http://www.schoolsucksproject.com/

SchoolSucks podcast is great!

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: