Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:35:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 5970 - 1 GHash/s - Bad Temps?  (Read 4446 times)
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:24:34 AM

I'm running my 5970s on air and my vrm are under 100c at 900mhz and 1.1v

If you are on water and can't get it stable it's because you farked up your water block install or used poor quality TIM. Yes it really is that important. It's needs extreme thermal conductivity and the proper thickness.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QiVX (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 09:59:29 AM

I'm running my 5970s on air and my vrm are under 100c at 900mhz and 1.1v

If you are on water and can't get it stable it's because you farked up your water block install or used poor quality TIM. Yes it really is that important. It's needs extreme thermal conductivity and the proper thickness.

I actually bought the 5970 with the block already put on, so I don't really know how well it was put on. Then again the seller told me he spent like $200 on thermal pads. Then again, I'm not sure about that.

I'm happy with my 5970 now, it's hashing at around 450 mhash/s, at 1000 MHz, 1212 Voltage.
VRM temps are now in the 80s.
fankih

Activity: 82

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 06:23:20 PM

I was seriously impressed of your 1Ghash/s and I would like to know which brand is this 5970?
Is it XFX Black Edition or something or just a reference card?

-fankih-

-fankih-
QiVX (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 11:49:42 AM

I was seriously impressed of your 1Ghash/s and I would like to know which brand is this 5970?
Is it XFX Black Edition or something or just a reference card?

-fankih-

Haha it was actually a HIS.
It's now hashing away at 465 mhash/s per core. I prefer seeing the VRM temps in the 80s. Smiley

I just got another 5970, XFX Black Edition, with a Koolance block, but unfortunately when I clock over 900 MHz, the VRMs in the second GPU skyrocket. So at 900, GPU 1 VRMs are at like 70, while GPU 2 jumps to 110. Probably just thermal pads or something, but I don't have time for that, so I just down clocked them to 850 and VRMs are below 80.

Personally, I really liked the EK Block on my HIS Card, but the Koolance block on the XFX didn't look to bad.

I was looking around and didn't really see anybody else doing that, so I decided to not push my cards that hard and so keep all my VRMs under 80 now. Smiley

Clocks for the 1 ghash/s are on first post.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 08:43:05 PM

I was not aware that 1Gh/s was even possible on a 5970... That is just outrageous hashing power for an old card...
Mine would only do about 700Mh/s a piece... Tongue
Yeah that 1Gh/s is pretty damn impressive.I just wish I could buy an HD5970 easily in UK (it's out of stock everywhere in UK) and reach those clocks (although I should factor in the cost of watercooling that monster as well). Impressive.I wonder what the power use is and what your PSU is rated at? As you'd need a pretty strong PSU to run that and a watercooler plus the rest of the system.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
QiVX (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:43:29 PM

I was not aware that 1Gh/s was even possible on a 5970... That is just outrageous hashing power for an old card...
Yeah that 1Gh/s is pretty damn impressive.I just wish I could buy an HD5970 easily in UK (it's out of stock everywhere in UK) and reach those clocks (although I should factor in the cost of watercooling that monster as well). Impressive.I wonder what the power use is and what your PSU is rated at? As you'd need a pretty strong PSU to run that and a watercooler plus the rest of the system.

PSU is a Seasonic X-1250. I'm thinking the system itself is pulling more than 1.2 kW from the PSU, but I don't have a watt meter to tell.

It's a great PSU, everybody was recommending that over a Corsair AX1200. Also, I wasn't sure if the AX1200 could support 8 Pci-e cables, because it comes with 6 (as said on website), so that would limit me to 3 cards. While my SS has 8, so up to 4 cards.

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 12:39:35 AM

PSU is a Seasonic X-1250. I'm thinking the system itself is pulling more than 1.2 kW from the PSU, but I don't have a watt meter to tell.

It's a great PSU, everybody was recommending that over a Corsair AX1200. Also, I wasn't sure if the AX1200 could support 8 Pci-e cables, because it comes with 6 (as said on website), so that would limit me to 3 cards. While my SS has 8, so up to 4 cards.

PCI-E power splitters and molex/sata > pci-e power adapters are your friend

QiVX (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 09:50:52 PM

PCI-E power splitters and molex/sata > pci-e power adapters are your friend

Sometimes it's just safer to use something which is designed for what you are going to do. And you obviously can have risks using to many power adapters, I think I saw one guy fry a molex adapter.

But why economise a few bucks to risk any additional issues? I went out straight to a SS so I knew that I wouldn't have to touch the PSU again. And it's still there running 24/7 for 1 month do far.
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:08:28 PM

Great PSU - best I've seen so far is the Enermax Platimax 1500W - 10 Pci-e cables with that one  Tongue
If I didn't worry about them being obsolete soon I'd get 3 7970X2 cards and one of those and have a little 3.8Ghash box  Cheesy
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:58:08 AM

DeathAndTaxes has an all out watercooling 5970 set up, or at least he did. You should check out some of his build pics.

Cooler is always better for electronics parts.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: