Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:46:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITSTAMPS BACK!  (Read 2508 times)
colinistheman

Activity: 872
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 09:31:46 PM

Yes, they're back up, and after 20 minutes there's been enough volume to get them back in sync with the other markets, around $288. Bitcoinwisdom is tracking Bitstamp, but Bitcoin Charts (which is owned by Karpeles) is not.

That didn't take long. All is back as usual after 20 minutes.

The media loves the crash stories... now let the media write about this.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 09:45:26 PM

I'd be very surprised if they even acknowledged this positive thing at all, they like to focus on a narrative and once they've decided with it they'll go with it even when piles of evidence stack up against them.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 09:57:43 PM

The next question is whether Bitstamp is now insolvent.  They lost $5 million.  Did they get new funding to replace that, did they have enough capital of their own, or are they dipping into customer funds?  Their statements have carefully avoided mentioning this issue.

If a real stockbroker lost funds like that, and became insolvent (debts > assets), they would have to stop operations immediately.  In some jurisdictions it is a felony for a broker to continue to accept funds once insolvent.  They don't get to "fix it later". That's because, historically, the temptation to fix it by speculating with customer funds has been a big problem.

With withdrawals working again, it's probably a good idea to get your assets out of Bitstamp. Don't use them as a wallet. Trade there if you like, but empty out your account when not actively trading.

Bitstamp now needs a full audit by an outside auditing firm.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 10:19:09 PM

With withdrawals working again, it's probably a good idea to get your assets out of Bitstamp. Don't use them as a wallet. Trade there if you like, but empty out your account when not actively trading.  

That should be standard practice for any exchange, never use exchanges and online wallets or any public service for longterm storage, you do not have control over your coins there!
TechnoBibble

Activity: 179
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:20:01 PM

Happy to see they are back and being honest about the situation
calci

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:26:43 PM

The next question is whether Bitstamp is now insolvent.  They lost $5 million.  Did they get new funding to replace that, did they have enough capital of their own, or are they dipping into customer funds?  Their statements have carefully avoided mentioning this issue.

If a real stockbroker lost funds like that, and became insolvent (debts > assets), they would have to stop operations immediately.  In some jurisdictions it is a felony for a broker to continue to accept funds once insolvent.  They don't get to "fix it later". That's because, historically, the temptation to fix it by speculating with customer funds has been a big problem.

That might be a possibility . To become solvent they would need to purchase 18K bitcoins, and I am not sure if they already did that or plan to do that .
Coinshot

Activity: 521
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:29:56 PM

What happens to the stolen 19,000 BTCs? Bitstamp has a roadmap to pay it off to the customers.
I think Bitstamp is finished. I personally would never transfer anything in there.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 10:36:49 PM

Agree, that's the missing part of the statement - how are they going to cover the lost funds? After all the shit from Mt Gox it would be nice if bitstamp were more transparent on this.

Although, if Pantera bailed them out, both sides may not be very keen on disclosing the details. And this part slightly suggest that this could be the case:

On a personal note, I’d like to thank the incredible teams at Bitstamp and at our lead investor Pantera Capital who have worked around-the-clock from multiple time zones in the last few days. I’m incredibly proud of the herculean work of this extended team, and grateful to the phenomenal show of support from customers, friends, and partners in the bitcoin community.

Hopefully they won't qualify for audit exemption in their 2nd year of trading.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Coinshot

Activity: 521
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:38:35 PM

That might be a possibility . To become solvent they would need to purchase 18K bitcoins, and I am not sure if they already did that or plan to do that .

I highly doubt they have the finances to buy it outright. I think they will have a plan where they slowly pays back the customers over time, or offers them a stake.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:06:37 PM

That was an incredible quick fix by Bitstamp. Good trustworthy company.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
Shattered

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:13:32 PM

I really hope everything eventually works itself out with Bitstamp.
I would hate to see another black eye on the shiny face of BTC to start the new year.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:17:57 PM

I highly doubt they have the finances to buy it outright. I think they will have a plan where they slowly pays back the customers over time, or offers them a stake.

Thats most likely what MtGox wanted to do. And then the price went ballistic.
Bitstamp doesnt didnt lose $5M; they lost a shitload of bitcoins and as long as they dont obtain them, their liability has no upper limit.
flipstyle

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:27:15 AM

Would definitely withdraw asap if I were a current user...don't make the same mistake.  They're back up, but that still doesn't solve the fundamental problem of their losses or intended plan to make up for the stolen funds.  Seen this happen with coinex and cryptorush with a 're-opening.'  The lost funds are going to come out someone's pocket.
kingcrypto

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:46:29 AM

I have already withdraw all of my bitcoins succesfully
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:23:52 AM

I have already withdraw all of my bitcoins succesfully

I was able to take everything out too.

smashing

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:36:37 AM

Bitstamp is Silicon Valley, VC backed (Pantera). They were always going to come back and do things right. No chance of insolvency or funny business whatsoever.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:39:29 AM

This is great news!
Other members were saying bitstamp will be back but i wasn't so sure, I'm happy to be proved wrong in this case.
With Pantera behind them this does look like a safe company.

jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:40:31 AM

Ha. Most of us predict that Bitstamps will be back. Since it is back.. Bitcoin price gonna rise again.. Smiley .

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
blg425

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:44:42 AM

So happy we have great exchanges in my country, nor verification time, 5 min entering any website no registration, payment and Bitcoins are send. It's perfect. Main reason is that one of our payment methods is instant and usually non-refundable so they know the funds are there, are immidiatly send to the exchange and with that confirmation the BTC gets transfered.

I did register today on Bitstamp for the. First time, but by the time I would be verified, allowed to buy and have funds deposited...

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:02:14 AM

Not a big deal, they have so many coins sitting in the cold storage collecting dust. Their reserve ratio is much higher than any banks in the world, which typically have only 20% of customer funds at hand while still serve the customer for decades

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: