Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:38:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheist Richard Dawkins Has a Message About Islam in the Wake of France’s Deadly  (Read 514 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:46:35 PM

... Terror Attack.

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/07/richard_dawkins_goes_on_anti_islam_rant_blames_charlie_hebdo_massacre_on_entire_religion/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:17:20 AM

Maybe I missed my "scheduled programming" but I blame the media for fanning the flames over this saga. If things turn ugly, THEY, the idiot journalists will also have blood on their hands for causing even more deaths.

Consider that there are likely bomb threats every week in the EU but nobody ever hears anything about it. It all gets hushed up. You might occasionally hear on the grapevine that some people were late to work because of a "fire" announcement at the local train station. But it never makes the news, and people understand that one of the goals of terrorists is to make people fearful.

Obviously an armed massacre is bit more newsworthy than a near-miss, so it's not same thing. But shit, the emotions behind it seem really manipulated.

Switch off the television, sheep.

All the people killed in Paris were not watching their own death on TV. Yes, to be fairful is what terrorism wants. I would believe most people here are not watching TV all day long. I could be wrong, but it is not a bad thing to know what's up.

username18333

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 06:30:15 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 07:10:01 AM by username18333

Maybe I missed my "scheduled programming" but I blame the media for fanning the flames over this saga. If things turn ugly, THEY, the idiot journalists will also have blood on their hands for causing even more deaths.

. . .
(Red colorization mine.)

What of the profit motive, which drives “the media” to their “fanning the flames?”

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
Mr Tea

Activity: 270

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 11:33:26 AM

Atheist Richard Dawkins Has a Message About Islam

Well of course he does. Full time Atheist and Islam-hating is his day job.

Nobody wins in a situation like this. The terrorists get their attention and the anti-Islamists get their fuel to feed the fire and countries like the US and UK get their propaganda to go invade countries under the guise of terrorism and it's a self-perpetuating cycle.

scryptolife

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:49:27 PM

. . .
(Red colorization mine.)

What of the profit motive, which drives “the media” to their “fanning the flames?”

In this case a trade motive or survival motive would be more ethical than a profit motive. I just don't see any way in which both sides can make clean profit with mutual gain and no-one getting hurt. It's totally asymmetrical, both in terms of information asymmetry and profit asymmetry.

It's easy for viewers to forget (or never realise) that they're watching a highly editorialised work of art. Hundreds of other news items are censored out because they have less emotional impact, and viewers can never be 100% sure where the funding comes from or how much they personally pay when they go shopping later. Is it just ad breaks, or is there also product placement, bribes, blackmail, or government subsidies involved? Viewers don't even know their individual costs, whereas the media companies do know where their money comes from, and they also front-run and editorialise every piece of news before distributing it out after a delay.
You seem like it is a bad thing that viewers are having their food readily chewed. Funding you described is essential for a media to exist. In western societies I can trust that it is coming from friendly sources and that it is leading to good journalism.

What you said about editorializing is true. I have found a lot of falsificated information but they have all been from tabloids. They are profiting from fanning the flames and some subjects have been actually pretty entertaining.

I have found some highly editorialized information even from national sources, for example about the economical crisis. It is more like overgeneralizing the facts than purposefully offering misleading information. This is mainly a good thing because not everyone has a possibility to process a really complex set of facts.

I have formed my view by comparing various foreign news sources, blog posts and discussion forums. Almost every time my own conclusion have matched the one that I read from national news sources.

One has to have the ability to separate the rightful information from the bold headlines on tabloids and from other not so truthful sources. If someone can not do so I would not blame the medium.

I pay for my national television in form of income taxes and I think it is a really good way to fund truthful journalism. You have probably participated democratic elections in case you do not happen to live in Crimea. Government subsidies are for your own good.

Global medium and Charlie Hebdo has done the only right thing possible in this situation. Journalists shouldn't let the fright win.
username18333

Activity: 378

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 10:06:41 PM

. . .

In this case a trade motive or survival motive would be more ethical than a profit motive. I just don't see any way in which both sides can make clean profit with mutual gain and no-one getting hurt. It's totally asymmetrical, both in terms of information asymmetry and profit asymmetry.

It's easy for viewers to forget (or never realise) that they're watching a highly editorialised work of art. Hundreds of other news items are censored out because they have less emotional impact, and viewers can never be 100% sure where the funding comes from or how much they personally pay when they go shopping later. Is it just ad breaks, or is there also product placement, bribes, blackmail, or government subsidies involved? Viewers don't even know their individual costs, whereas the media companies do know where their money comes from, and they also front-run and editorialise every piece of news before distributing it out after a delay.

You seem like it is a bad thing that viewers are having their food readily chewed. Funding you described is essential for a media to exist. In western societies I can trust that it is coming from friendly sources and that it is leading to good journalism.

. . .
(Red colorization mine.)

Many academic papers don’t have ads, yet, despite their sheer substantiveness, were still published.

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: