Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:47:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddcoin [RDD] Shift In Philosophy?  (Read 683 times)
Humanovation (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 12:17:44 AM

If you are interested, I suggest reading through the following thread.  I would like to hear why you think this may be a good thing or, conversely, why it is total BS ...

https://www.reddcointalk.org/topic/209/q-a-blackmails-reddcoin-ltd-and-ama

Whatever your point of view ... it seems, to me, that more transparency, when applied to an alt-coin, is always a good thing.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:43:31 AM

If you are interested, I suggest reading through the following thread.  I would like to hear why you think this may be a good thing or, conversely, why it is total BS ...

https://www.reddcointalk.org/topic/209/q-a-blackmails-reddcoin-ltd-and-ama

Whatever your point of view ... it seems, to me, that more transparency, when applied to an alt-coin, is always a good thing.

I guess it all comes down to how good you are at resolving conflict. I don't think an alt-coin needs a moderated thread and just by having it, it feels like the OP is sanitizing the thread so it actually invites more anger to have a moderated thread than without. An OP may not even be removing messages on the thread but if you come there and see the self-moderated flag you automatically think that peoples voices are being silenced.

When it comes to Community forums and moderation you often do have to remove spam but best practice is to only remove posts if absolutely necessary and give fair warning. Say someone is causing trouble on forums and making a lot of people angry, fist your give them a warning, if it keeps happening you give a temporary ban, keeps happening then a permanent ban, still keeps happening then start involving law enforcement.

I used to moderate MMORPG forums years ago, pretty much the same thing as Bitcointalk and Community forums.
Humanovation (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 06:06:40 AM

I guess it all comes down to how good you are at resolving conflict. I don't think an alt-coin needs a moderated thread and just by having it, it feels like the OP is sanitizing the thread so it actually invites more anger to have a moderated thread than without. An OP may not even be removing messages on the thread but if you come there and see the self-moderated flag you automatically think that peoples voices are being silenced.

When it comes to Community forums and moderation you often do have to remove spam but best practice is to only remove posts if absolutely necessary and give fair warning. Say someone is causing trouble on forums and making a lot of people angry, fist your give them a warning, if it keeps happening you give a temporary ban, keeps happening then a permanent ban, still keeps happening then start involving law enforcement.

I used to moderate MMORPG forums years ago, pretty much the same thing as Bitcointalk and Community forums.

Brilliantly written ... I couldn't agree more.  Although the devs appear to have genuine talent when it comes to coding and crypto, they seem to get easily frustrated when dealing with the public.  Alt-coins already have such a bad reputation that anything that even smells like a scam, such as over-moderation of public discourse, can sink a coin.  However, I like the new tack they are taking.

What they need is a figurehead with more diplomatic and pr skills ...
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 07:48:24 AM

Brilliantly written ... I couldn't agree more.  Although the devs appear to have genuine talent when it comes to coding and crypto, they seem to get easily frustrated when dealing with the public.  Alt-coins already have such a bad reputation that anything that even smells like a scam, such as over-moderation of public discourse, can sink a coin.  However, I like the new tack they are taking.

What they need is a figurehead with more diplomatic and pr skills ...

I think that's one of the biggest factors into how well a Coin does is the ones running it so if you can code, that's great but if you have great PR skills as well, that's even better. People lose interest in projects all the time, some stay and some go so when it comes to projects like this it tends to show you the true diehards of the project.

Can I use myself as an example?

I joined ColossusCoin a year ago and became part of the forums and said I wanted to get into working on Proof of Stake and provided some rough ideas I had for it. I really liked the admin on the forums, just a really nice guy crew of guys and got to know some more people who also owned ColossusCoin and tried to help with some problems people were having. Then I became mod on the forums and helped with the layout of the forums, members sections and ran some contests. Then the Coin broke catastrophically and I looked around for coders (including talking to the original coder) and they either wanted a lot of money or the original coder didn't really know how to fix it at the time. I found some local coders that could do it but then they threatened me and I called the whole thing off. So I learned how to code myself and keep all relevant information I come across in a semi-private repository.

In the time I've been there and been a mod there was only really 2 incidents I can think of. One was a guy that came in and had some good ideas so we added him to the private forums but then started arguing with people on the forums so I gave him a warning and told him to stop so then he freaked out and deleted the reddit he made and then started posing as me on reddit and so I threathened to get law enforcement involved and it immediately stopped and so then after that he didn't post on the forums anymore and so after 2 weeks of no activity we deleted him. The second one was a guy who had lost Coins through Cryptsy and I was trying to get him help in order to recover it (Cryptsy needed to rescan their wallet but bad support) and during some very early alpha testing was trying to get some interest and he mistook it like I had Coins I could give to him. I kept telling him that I didn't have Coins to give him but he kept going on that I needed to give him Coins and kept trying to explain to him until I got fed up and just deleted him and never really heard from him again.

But you have to think though that that's over an entire year so there are bound to be some issues sometimes.

On Bitcointalk all the ColossusCoin threads have never been moderated and I have also never created any moderated threads and have had no issues with it. I even put up pictures of myself on the forums (they should still be there) and leave all old posts unedited so that if need be I can say that I have been here over a year, completely open and there are still no issues.
dandruff1138

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

1000% ROI Masternode Coin

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:18:05 PM

This is transparency only because they were pressured into it haha... If your philosophy is to only tell when you have been found out, that is not transparency. It is shady at best. Stay the $%@$ away from these guys and this god awful Dogecoin wanna be.

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████████▄
   ████████████████████████████████
  ██████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████
   ██████████████████████████████
    ▀████████████████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████████████▀
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)
███     WHITEPAPER      SLACK      ANN THREAD     ███
████     FACEBOOK      TWITTER      TELEGRAM     ████

▬▬▬  JOIN OUR ICO    From Nov 10th, 2017  ▬▬▬
Humanovation (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:18:05 AM

It truly is too bad that Larry Ren is such a complete idiot ...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: