Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:42:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about Service Announcements/Project Development  (Read 662 times)
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 01:04:13 PM

This is mainly aimed at those who have probably had to move threads out of Project Development before, so Patrollers and Global Moderators+, really.

Where do you draw the line between Service Announcements and Project Development?

Quite a lot of announcements for various services and good sellers are posted in Project Development, and I'm just looking to find the staff opinion on what warrants the announcement for something to be in Project Development. Does the announcement have to explicitly make it clear that there is development going on actively? Or can an announcement be posted there if the service is already active and running but they are planning on adding a new feature or something similar?

Cheers.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 07:09:59 PM

[Apologies for the double post but I feel this has been buried]

These 2 threads also seem to be a bit weird to me:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=895633.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128635.0

Now the thing with those threads is, they're selling scripts. It doesn't relate to the development of Bitcoin-related projects, there is no development diary/tracking/information. So what has been keeping one thread in there for longer than 2 years, and the other even after a report (at least, I'm fairly sure I reported it)? Clarification would be awesome. Thanks.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 08:33:47 PM

This is mainly aimed at those who have probably had to move threads out of Project Development before, so Patrollers and Global Moderators+, really.

Im none of those, but I report plenty of post from the general bitcoin discussion section that get moved into both.

Where do you draw the line between Service Announcements and Project Development?

IMHO the difference is

Service ANN: Hey, we made this. Take a look!
Proj. Dev.: Hey, Im/we're trying to get this to work, but need more X, Y and/or Z.

Does the announcement have to explicitly make it clear that there is development going on actively? Or can an announcement be posted there if the service is already active and running but they are planning on adding a new feature or something similar?

Thus, for me, its the later. An ANN can be made if the main service is allready running. Id actually expect a service to improve over time. The question is: do you have something thats working or not.

Consider this a free bump even though I am not staff Wink

IMHO should be in digital goods with all the other sold source code/scripts. Either that or in services, but I dont think CoinFeeder is going to support the code.

Same as above. Fully developed software, ready for sale. At least it looks like this.

So what has been keeping one thread in there for longer than 2 years, and the other even after a report (at least, I'm fairly sure I reported it)? Clarification would be awesome. Thanks.

Some sections are handled more often than others.

The unofficial list[1] says:

-snip-
Guidelines for threads

Some boards which are obvious were left out of the list

Section: Bitcoin
Project Development - Organization of Bitcoin and related projects (sites, software not yet developed/in development), bounty campaigns, advertising etc. No hiring here although "looking for partners" threads should be here.

Section: Economy
Service Announcements (child board of Marketplace) - "New services and significant information about existing services. Do not create excessive "announcements" just to advertise your service." All Bitcoin service website announcements should go here.
-snip-

The red parts are my emphasis

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703657.0#post_guidelines

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 08:47:39 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that both of those threads should be in Digital Goods because they're basically ready-to-sell scripts. I agree with the vast majority of what you said. Any staff input?

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 05:43:33 PM

Let's bump this back up. Just seeking a little bit of clarification.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 04:26:28 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128635.0

Now the thing with those threads is, they're selling scripts. It doesn't relate to the development of Bitcoin-related projects, there is no development diary/tracking/information. So what has been keeping one thread in there for longer than 2 years, and the other even after a report (at least, I'm fairly sure I reported it)? Clarification would be awesome. Thanks.

You did report it, but it was still pending/unhandled, though one had been moved. Both of those do belong in digital goods. There's always going to be some overlap with project development and service announcements, same with trading discussion and service discussion, so there's no fine line. Some threads would fit fine in either, downside of board based forums. I agree with what Shorena said though. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: