Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:12:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PGP Bitcointalk help  (Read 757 times)
Orangina (OP)

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:44:11 AM

could anyone explain to me how all this stuff works and why some people ask PGP signed message ?
I understand how signing Bitcoin adress works however for what comes to PGP (for example Keybase) I don't get it  , I mean if i create a Keybase account then what I'am supposed to post on the forums so it prooves my ownership later ? and how can you guys verify it exactly ?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:50:43 AM

we can verify it because we know the public* key (the one you're supposed to post).

* added.
Orangina (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:56:49 AM

we can verify it because we know the public* key (the one you're supposed to post).

* added.

I found this for a user (muhammed zakir i guess) https://keybase.io/kzm279/key.asc , how are you guys supposed to verify this ?
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

hee-ho.

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:58:37 AM
Last edit: October 11, 2015, 11:30:58 AM by --Encrypted--

* added.

I found this for a user (muhammed zakir i guess) https://keybase.io/kzm279/key.asc , how are you guys supposed to verify this ?

that's a public key, the one we used to verify message, not a message.

this should explain it.
www.pgpi.org/doc/pgpintro/
Orangina (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:19:48 AM

sorry if im bothering you with my stupid questions , anyway I started reading , I'am almost on the half ... now I saw this
Anyone with a copy of your public key can then encrypt information that only you can read. Even people you have never met.

So why muhammed zakir or other users are sharing their public keys if it's only so we can send them encrypted keys ? or having a public key of someone can be used to both send them encrypted messages and verify their encrypted messages  Huh
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

hee-ho.

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:26:29 AM

sorry if im bothering you with my stupid questions , anyway I started reading , I'am almost on the half ... now I saw this
Anyone with a copy of your public key can then encrypt information that only you can read. Even people you have never met.

So why muhammed zakir or other users are sharing their public keys if it's only so we can send them encrypted keys ? or having a public key of someone can be used to both send them encrypted messages and verify their encrypted messages  Huh

privacy (PGP). you can exchange the public key with someone and then just encrypt every messages so that no one can know what you two are talking about.
Orangina (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:33:13 AM

So why muhammed zakir or other users are sharing their public keys if it's only so we can send them encrypted keys ? or having a public key of someone can be used to both send them encrypted messages and verify their encrypted messages  Huh

privacy (PGP). you can exchange the public key with someone and then just encrypt every messages so that no one can know what you two are talking about.

I guess you didn't understand me , I mean why people post their PGP keys on "stake your adress" if it's only for communication ? I just asked you if public key can be used to proove ownership if not .. then i don't get it why people post it .
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

hee-ho.

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:44:07 AM

it can be used for proving your ownership of an account. I thought you already understood that.

to prove ownership, we encrypt a message using our private key. all people that have your public key can verify it.
to communicate in absolute privacy, we encrypt message using other party's public key. they're the only ones who can decrypt it.
Orangina (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:55:19 AM

it can be used for proving your ownership of an account. I thought you already understood that.

to prove ownership, we encrypt a message using our private key. all people that have your public key can verify it.
to communicate in absolute privacy, we encrypt message using other party's public key. they're the only ones who can decrypt it.

See , this is a better explanation then that long link Shocked thank you so much .
"to prove ownership, we encrypt a message using our private key. all people that have your public key can verify it." <= here you mean we sign the message , right ? gonna close topic after getting answer ty
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

hee-ho.

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:56:58 AM

See , this is a better explanation then that long link Shocked thank you so much .
"to prove ownership, we encrypt a message using our private key. all people that have your public key can verify it." <= here you mean we sign the message , right ? gonna close topic after getting answer ty

yeah.  Smiley
Orangina (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:58:14 AM

I really appreciate the help , thx so much
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: