Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:58:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 78 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [KOBO] Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa  (Read 127488 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
no141

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 03:06:54 PM

what would you say, roughly, would be the total possible coins per year?

we are now pure POS, so if someone were to stake 100% of all coins for an entire year, it would increase the coin supply by aroud around 10% per year. so if everyone staked in 1 year time it will increase the coin supply from 24 million to around 26million

yes so i think the OP is a bit misleading? idk  Huh

The volume of coins can grow more than 10% per year. Due to the time needed to stake different sized groups of coins, compounding interest gets confusing. If a wallet is closed all year, and opened once, they will earn 10%. A wallet open year round, might be able to eek out up to a 2% advantage, possibly more. Someone could probably calculate this out, and reserve some larger blocks of coins, so they don't get split so fast without working up some interest, and come out ahead--this is just because big coin amounts split faster. If you are moving this coin around, every time you do, you reset it's age and it looses that accrued interest.

@TheTribesman, I'm sure people are interested in seeing how many coins they earned staking. Is there any way we could have a second blockchain explorer at cryptoid.info? That one should allow us to see how much an address earned in stakes. Unless that could be added to the wallet?

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sempyper

Activity: 269

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 03:14:22 PM

a simple way to put this is no one will ever see more than say 50million coins. say in 40 years we may have 350 million, simple.

24million is the current supply abd it will stay like that for a while.

simples.
fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 03:34:48 PM

wtf my 4k kobo was gone from my wallet ???its weird  Huh
it is  the first time my coins gone from wallet without any transaction
only 3281 coins left!!!!!!!!!
@fmz89, did you shut down the wallet and start it back up and see any change?

Also, if it was all in one address, could you share that address with us, or look yourself on the blockchain for what happened?
here FKbL5D7WLTGy7n6K3ZPzWNg6BNeqmCyFry
thx for looking

I'm not sure what you are seeing in the wallet, but that address currently shows a balance of 7810.17831483. And 3281 + 4000 is less than your current total of all POS mining inputs and the four deposits. There were no outputs so that address looks 100% correct and nothing to worry about.

Now, if you are currently looking at the wallet and see something other than that 7810.17831483 total, possibly a little higher when you read this due to another stake, something is wrong on your side. First, you should always have a backup of your wallet.dat file in a very safe place. Then try a rescan. Close your wallet, wait a few moments for it to shut down. Then you need to execute the command to start it up with a rescan, for windows, like this: Kobocoin-QT.exe -rescan

After that, the wallet will take a little longer than normal to start up(blockchain only 22MB), but hopefully everything will show up. If ever worried again, the blockchain explorer will always tell you the current true value of an address.
yeah its works thx dude Wink

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
topcat363

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 03:36:09 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2015, 04:25:47 PM by topcat363

a simple way to put this is no one will ever see more than say 50million coins. say in 40 years we may have 350 million, simple.

24million is the current supply abd it will stay like that for a while.

simples.

thank you. now that that is out of the way...

thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:57:20 PM

Have any of you thought about maybe in the future teaming up with one of the mesh networking projects?

eg. https://www.reddit.com/r/darknetplan/comments/2wvta0/we_have_teamed_up_to_bring_you_the_first_consumer/

Something like this, and kobo would seem to be a good match - mesh networking and wallet as part of one (android) appliance? I appreciate there are more immediate concerns, just wanted to air the idea. Haven't read through the whole thread yet, apologies if it's been mentioned before.

Anyway, promising project!  Smiley
topcat363

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 05:10:27 PM

Have any of you thought about maybe in the future teaming up with one of the mesh networking projects?

eg. https://www.reddit.com/r/darknetplan/comments/2wvta0/we_have_teamed_up_to_bring_you_the_first_consumer/

Something like this, and kobo would seem to be a good match - mesh networking and wallet as part of one (android) appliance? I appreciate there are more immediate concerns, just wanted to air the idea. Haven't read through the whole thread yet, apologies if it's been mentioned before.

well we are at the end of the checklist according to the DEV....

1. Start CoinsSource verification process http://www.coinssource.com/trust-index-verification/ - Completed
2. Agree launch date and launch schedule. - Completed
4. Speak with exchanges about the possibility of listings for launch. - Completed
5. Kobocoin code (github), Block Explorer, Linux wallet, Windows wallet, OSX (Mac) wallet (Android/iOS if possible) to be available at launch. - Completed (Android not yet delivered)
6. Launch Kobocoin (PoW mining begins) - Completed
6. Android/iOS wallets to be ready for PoS (if not available at PoW launch).

so its safe to assume we can expect the android/ ios wallet any day now. Perfect time for additions

leigh2k14
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 06:56:16 PM

well we are at the end of the checklist according to the DEV....

1. Start CoinsSource verification process http://www.coinssource.com/trust-index-verification/ - Completed
2. Agree launch date and launch schedule. - Completed
4. Speak with exchanges about the possibility of listings for launch. - Completed
5. Kobocoin code (github), Block Explorer, Linux wallet, Windows wallet, OSX (Mac) wallet (Android/iOS if possible) to be available at launch. - Completed (Android not yet delivered)
6. Launch Kobocoin (PoW mining begins) - Completed
6. Android/iOS wallets to be ready for PoS (if not available at PoW launch).

so its safe to assume we can expect the android/ ios wallet any day now. Perfect time for additions

Smart phone apps are a must for the people of west Africa to adopt this system.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄                   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄      ▄▄▄
████████████▄       ███                ▄███████████▄            ▄██████████      ███     ███▀
███     ▀▀███▌      ███               ████▀     ▀████         ▄███▀▀     ▀▀      ███    ███▀
███       ███▌      ███              ███▀         ▀███       ▄███                ███   ███
███     ▄███▀       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███  ███
██████████▀         ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███ ███
███▀▀▀▀▀████▄       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███  ███     ███           ███
███      ▀███▌      ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███   ███     ███         ███
███       ███▌      ███              ███▄         ▄███        ███                ███    ███     ███       ███
███     ▄▄███▌      ███               ████▄     ▄████         ▀███▄▄     ▄▄      ███     ███▄    ███▄   ▄███
████████████▀       ███████████        ▀███████████▀            ▀██████████      ███      ███▄    ███▄ ▄███
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                  ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀     ███▄███
                                                                                                    ▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

Token Sale Starts on [ 12 October ]
[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

ActualUpsurge

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

GlideSEC - www.glidesec.com

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 07:49:28 PM

TheTribesman has already stated that the android and iOS wallet are on their way Smiley

▲▼▼▲▼GlideSEC NXT investments www.glidesec.com▲▼▲▼
darkslash

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:33:31 PM

TheTribesman has already stated that the android and iOS wallet are on their way Smiley

all looks verry good doesnt it
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1003

Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 12:46:55 AM

Hi Everyone

Bad news I'm afraid. The developer who was building the Android wallet is no longer available. There's not much I can do about it. I'm in the process of speaking to another developer about getting one out ASAP.

I can imagine this news is a bit deflating, but it is what it is. It will be dealt with. It's just another hurdle.

On a positive note, one of the reasons I paid for a coin and wallets to be developed was because I wasn't sure of the process and didn't want to make a mistake with the code. I'm clued up now on those points. I've now learnt how to launch a coin (or learnt what it actually means when you say "launch a coin"). I've been learning the code, and though I don't understand the cryptography, I now understand the code itself, how it works, how it's put together, and why it was put together in that way (and why the lib errors when compiling). It's complex, but understandable.

I've learnt how to modify the wallet UI and functionality using the default desktop wallet as a base template. I was waiting to get my hands on the Android wallet to get stuck into that code. I have the Android SDK ready and waiting. We're aiming to make the Kobocoin Android wallet feature rich. The initial Android wallet released will just be the base template (as with the desktop wallet). And as with the desktop wallet, a new version will be released soon afterwards with the kobocoin stamp on it.

So, what's happening?

1. I'm fighting that good fight getting the windows wallet compiled and packaged. I don't just want it compiled. I want it packaged in a windows installer (creating shortcuts etc) with no need for a new user to have to edit the kobocoin.conf file. Feedback so far is that wallet installation issues are frustrating casual users (and members here as well). The last thing needed is people uninstalling the wallet through frustration.

2. I'm speaking to another developer about the Android wallet. I was initially going to use the following wallet as a template and build one myself, but kobocoin is PoS and this has to be taken into account. Here's the wallet I was going to fork:

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en_GB
Github: https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet

If kobocoin wasn't PoS, the Android wallet might have been available some time ago.

So, new forward plan

1. Get the new desktop wallets (with QR enabled and packaged in an installer for windows) built and released. Even without the Android wallet, this will be a positive step forward.

2. Continue getting kobocoin onto as many services as possible e.g https://www.cryptonator.com/rates/KOBO-BTC/. We're also talking to other service providers to get KOBO onto as many platforms as possible.

In so many ways, we're a lot further forward than we should be at this point. I don't want that momentum to stop and have people lose interest, but sometimes these things happen. All I can do is try to minimize the impact of it. It will be resolved, and hopefully a lot sooner than this post suggests.

ANDROOOOID!!!!!

topcat363

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 02:21:46 AM

Hi Everyone

Bad news I'm afraid. The developer who was building the Android wallet is no longer available. There's not much I can do about it. I'm in the process of speaking to another developer about getting one out ASAP.

I can imagine this news is a bit deflating, but it is what it is. It will be dealt with. It's just another hurdle.

On a positive note, one of the reasons I paid for a coin and wallets to be developed was because I wasn't sure of the process and didn't want to make a mistake with the code. I'm clued up now on those points. I've now learnt how to launch a coin (or learnt what it actually means when you say "launch a coin"). I've been learning the code, and though I don't understand the cryptography, I now understand the code itself, how it works, how it's put together, and why it was put together in that way (and why the lib errors when compiling). It's complex, but understandable.

I've learnt how to modify the wallet UI and functionality using the default desktop wallet as a base template. I was waiting to get my hands on the Android wallet to get stuck into that code. I have the Android SDK ready and waiting. We're aiming to make the Kobocoin Android wallet feature rich. The initial Android wallet released will just be the base template (as with the desktop wallet). And as with the desktop wallet, a new version will be released soon afterwards with the kobocoin stamp on it.

So, what's happening?

1. I'm fighting that good fight getting the windows wallet compiled and packaged. I don't just want it compiled. I want it packaged in a windows installer (creating shortcuts etc) with no need for a new user to have to edit the kobocoin.conf file. Feedback so far is that wallet installation issues are frustrating casual users (and members here as well). The last thing needed is people uninstalling the wallet through frustration.

2. I'm speaking to another developer about the Android wallet. I was initially going to use the following wallet as a template and build one myself, but kobocoin is PoS and this has to be taken into account. Here's the wallet I was going to fork:

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en_GB

If kobocoin wasn't PoS, the Android wallet might have been available some time ago.

So, new forward plan

1. Get the new desktop wallets (with QR enabled and packaged in an installer for windows) built and released. Even without the Android wallet, this will be a positive step forward.

2. Continue getting kobocoin onto as many services as possible e.g https://www.cryptonator.com/rates/KOBO-BTC/. We're also talking to other service providers to get KOBO onto as many platforms as possible.

In so many ways, we're a lot further forward than we should be at this point. I don't want that momentum to stop and have people lose interest, but sometimes these things happen. All I can do is try to minimize the impact of it. It will be resolved, and hopefully a lot sooner than this post suggests.

ANDROOOOID!!!!!

Sounds good to me! You are becoming more and more self sufficient. Keep up the good work. And please keep us posted

leigh2k14
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:18:42 AM

Hi Everyone

So, what's happening?

So, new forward plan

ANDROOOOID!!!!!

Sometimes things don't work out as planned, it's okay you seem to know what your doing, the android wallet will come Smiley

I'm going to hold my coins, at the current price, it's a no brainer.

Will you update the OP and add that the PoW coin supply is 24M

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄                   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄      ▄▄▄
████████████▄       ███                ▄███████████▄            ▄██████████      ███     ███▀
███     ▀▀███▌      ███               ████▀     ▀████         ▄███▀▀     ▀▀      ███    ███▀
███       ███▌      ███              ███▀         ▀███       ▄███                ███   ███
███     ▄███▀       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███  ███
██████████▀         ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███ ███
███▀▀▀▀▀████▄       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███  ███     ███           ███
███      ▀███▌      ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███   ███     ███         ███
███       ███▌      ███              ███▄         ▄███        ███                ███    ███     ███       ███
███     ▄▄███▌      ███               ████▄     ▄████         ▀███▄▄     ▄▄      ███     ███▄    ███▄   ▄███
████████████▀       ███████████        ▀███████████▀            ▀██████████      ███      ███▄    ███▄ ▄███
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                  ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀     ███▄███
                                                                                                    ▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

Token Sale Starts on [ 12 October ]
[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 07:40:40 AM

Sounds good to me! You are becoming more and more self sufficient. Keep up the good work. And please keep us posted
So true about self sufficiency. I've spent the last few hours finding out how to build an android wallet. I've cloned, built, deleted, and rebuilt the schildbach wallet a few times now. I've also sent it to my android phone via email (and installed it with no issue) so I know the the process works.

There's one piece of the puzzle remaining. I need to hook it up to the kobocoin blockchain (and I know what needs to be done). It's going to be a challenge, but once once that connection to the kobocoin blockchain is made then the android wallet can be tested.
 Smiley

One thing though. If this wallet is successfully built, it will not be a staking wallet. Arrangements for the staking wallet will continue, and it will be built and released as planned. This Android wallet (if I get the connection to KOBO sorted) will be something to use in the interim without the staking feature.

no141

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 08:13:50 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2015, 08:53:19 AM by no141

I don't think we have anything to worry about getting an Andriod wallet out soon. That wallet being cloned is based on bitcoinj, and simply put the type of mining should have no influence on getting things to work, of course without staking. The way that wallet works, is it grabs small sections of the blockchain it needs and gladly doesn't need a central server. Clear skys ahead!

th00ber

Activity: 789
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 08:49:36 AM

Please update the thread.
At first look we can think that there is 350M Coin available.
And even if we multiply coin per block with number of POW blocks, we are at 43M.

It's not easily understable that there is actually only 23M coins in circulation after the POW
th00ber

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 09:54:48 AM

An a little buy support around 170-190 could be good to consolidate the market Smiley
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 11:53:41 AM

And even if we multiply coin per block with number of POW blocks, we are at 43M.

It's not easily understable that there is actually only 23M coins in circulation after the POW
There appears to be a misunderstanding. The original specs are still correct

- Name of Coin : Kobocoin
- Ticker Symbol : KOBO
- Max number of Kobocoins : 350,000,000
- Algo: X15/PoW/PoS
- Timings of block (in seconds) : 60
- Coins per Block  : 1,000
- Block number when PoW ends  : 43,200
- PoS Reward per year : 10%
- Max stake age : No max
- Min stake age : 24 hrs
- 50 confirmations required for mined blocks
- 6 confirmations required for transactions
- No premine

It was never intended for the to be more than 43,2000,000 KOBO after PoW. I know there's now less than originally forecast, but that's based on the habits of KOBO stakeholders. There's not much I can do about that.

Kobocoin will grow to a maximum of 350,000,000 over time. It was always planned that way. The numbers are really not off.

If I now claim there is a max of 23,000,000 coins (and update all documentation as such), what do I do next year when there's 23,000,000 + ~10% coins?

no141

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 12:14:33 PM

It was never intended for the to be more than 43,2000,000 KOBO after PoW. I know there's now less than originally forecast, but that's based on the habits of KOBO stakeholders. There's not much I can do about that.

Kobocoin will grow to a maximum of 350,000,000 over time. It was always planned that way. The numbers are really not off.

If I now claim there is a max of 23,000,000 coins (and update all documentation as such), what do I do next year when there's 23,000,000 + ~10% coins?

I think the important part of this is to add:

Initial coins in existence after POW period ended: Under 24,000,000

In my eyes, a line like this would clear up any confusion for newcomers to the thread and appease the rest of us. As it is less than the total possible POW coins, I think it's an important number.

th00ber

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 03:02:33 PM

There appears to be a misunderstanding. The original specs are still correct

- Name of Coin : Kobocoin
- Ticker Symbol : KOBO
- Max number of Kobocoins : 350,000,000
- Algo: X15/PoW/PoS
- Timings of block (in seconds) : 60
- Coins per Block  : 1,000
- Block number when PoW ends  : 43,200
- PoS Reward per year : 10%
- Max stake age : No max
- Min stake age : 24 hrs
- 50 confirmations required for mined blocks
- 6 confirmations required for transactions
- No premine

It's just that max coin limit will be reach in more than 30 years Cheesy
So for short term investors, it's important to know that the value of their coins is based on a supply around 24M and this supply will grow for rougthly 2.5M in the next year.
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 03:47:45 PM

I've been playing around with the Android wallet/software and I must say that it's like getting a new toy.

I should have a screenshot out for you in the next 24hrs. It's the weekend so I might not be online so frequently. The screenshot is nice but the challenge is getting kobocoinj running. Kobocoinj (a fork of bitcoinj) is the link between the Android wallet and the kobocoin blockchain. I'm working on that as well.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 78 »
  Print  

Jump to: