Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:35:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [KOBO] Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa  (Read 127488 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1003

Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2017, 03:32:49 PM

Great News!

https://guardian.ng/news/cbn-bars-banks-from-bitcoin-virtual-currencies/

Cryptos are now on the radar of Africa's biggest economy. The Nigerian economy has been sliding since the new government came in. People are now looking for an alternative to their failing currency to hold some value.

It's a good thing KOBO is now on a WORKING exchange like Cryptopia. I've been getting a lot of enquiries recently about Kobocoin and how to acquire them. The difference this time round is that people are asking where they can trade BTC with KOBO. They're not looking for direct cash purchases which I personally feel is a dangerous game to get into. After seeing that news item I'll be pointing everyone to Cryptopia.

We're now 3 weeks away from becoming 2 years old and claiming our place as an established crypto which will bode well for the future. Quite a milestone!

Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yns1971

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 09:31:58 AM

Great News!

https://guardian.ng/news/cbn-bars-banks-from-bitcoin-virtual-currencies/

Cryptos are now on the radar of Africa's biggest economy. The Nigerian economy has been sliding since the new government came in. People are now looking for an alternative to their failing currency to hold some value.

It's a good thing KOBO is now on a WORKING exchange like Cryptopia. I've been getting a lot of enquiries recently about Kobocoin and how to acquire them. The difference this time round is that people are asking where they can trade BTC with KOBO. They're not looking for direct cash purchases which I personally feel is a dangerous game to get into. After seeing that news item I'll be pointing everyone to Cryptopia.

We're now 3 weeks away from becoming 2 years old and claiming our place as an established crypto which will bode well for the future. Quite a milestone!

Smiley

kobo is great, I like it
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2017, 04:23:22 PM

Thanks Smiley

There's a reply to a comment I made on the CBN article (posted as Kobocoin)
http://guardian.ng/news/cbn-bars-banks-from-bitcoin-virtual-currencies/#comment-3114258436

I'm glad people can see the difference between kobo and some of the other players trying to establish themselves in the market. Onecoin in particular. I'm not a fan.

There's only 2 cryptocurrencies for Africa. BTC and KOBO!

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2017, 04:58:57 PM

Found this on a thread about best coins to invest in. We're mentioned with some very established names there, and the poster didn't get shot down.

In the order of popularity and potential,

1. Bitcoin
2. Ethereum, ETH / ETC
3. DigiByte
4. Kobocoin
5. Diamond
6. Lisk
7. Monero
8. Huh
9. Huh
10. Profit!!!

Grin

(KOBO really needs to be on a Chinese exchange. China is investing massively in Africa but kobo's trading volume is all but non-existent right now - no chance just yet)

EBK1000
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 05:23:19 PM

Hi, nice to see that you are still pushing this forward. What KOBO needs is utility and a plan to be useful in some way. It's not enough these days to just have a crypto without some use. I'm still holding some KOBO and believe that you can do something with this.

Soooooooon...............
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2017, 09:16:35 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2017, 01:08:26 AM by TheTribesman

Hi, nice to see that you are still pushing this forward. What KOBO needs is utility and a plan to be useful in some way. It's not enough these days to just have a crypto without some use. I'm still holding some KOBO and believe that you can do something with this.

Thanks. The plan is to be the multi-denominational digital currency of choice for mobile devices in the largest mobile fintech market on the planet (Sub-Saharan Africa). It always has been right from announcement. The coin parameters were chosen to facilitate this. It's also X15 PoS which new entrants to the industry are saying makes them green. We were green (even check the logo!) before they were even a figment in someone else's imagination.

At the moment there's no real technical development that I can see taking things forward (remember that kobo is on an IoT platform already - ROKOS). If there's a definite benefit to introducing new features on the blockchain then I'll definitely look into it. I also don't want to fork the coin with no real reason for doing so. There's nothing wrong with what kobo is right now. It could be in a better place when it comes to trading and I won't be happy until I see some real volume.

I think external features would be more useful right now. IOS wallet, possibly a 'secure' online wallet, and partnerships with the right companies. These would be very good starts. Introducing tech without a true purpose is not something I want to do right now. The people I've been talking to (programmers, business people, African fintech entrepreneurs) are talking about matching names to addresses for identity verification.

On this forum there's a cold war going on for anonymity. No-one I'm talking to is talking about anonymity like we do here in the forum. I'm not sure anonymity brings anything to kobo right now other than keeping up with trends (which might be the right thing to do - but at the moment I don't see it).

I do agree that just being a 'coin' may not be enough but kobo has a few things already built into the original coin parameters that still serve it's needs (at this time). As people start to use it these small features will become apparent. I've seen coins put out a constant stream of developments just to keep community members happy. Once the developments stop coming in, the coins are dropped like hot cakes and the price crashes. Makes me wonder if it was worth the devs time doing all that work just for a pump/dump opportunity.

My dream/goal/milestone for this year is to get us onto a Chinese exchange. China is making massive investments in Africa right now. A Chinese exchange would be a great fit (as long as we start getting better trading volumes!).

I'd rather use my energy to push kobo's visibility beyond BCT to the people who could make the dream of gaining adoption a reality rather than appeasing people who might only be looking for the next pump/dump opportunity. Progress on that front is slow but we are getting there!

Excuse the essay!
 Cheesy

logictense

Activity: 2146
Merit: 518

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2017, 10:28:42 PM

Found this on a thread about best coins to invest in. We're mentioned with some very established names there, and the poster didn't get shot down.

In the order of popularity and potential,

1. Bitcoin
2. Ethereum, ETH / ETC
3. DigiByte
4. Kobocoin
5. Diamond
6. Lisk
7. Monero
8. Huh
9. Huh
10. Profit!!!

Grin

(KOBO really needs to be on a Chinese exchange. China is investing massively in Africa but kobo's trading volume is all but non-existent right now - no chance just yet)

Its highly undesirable. We dont wanna chinese to be involved in our internal affairs, but if they try to trespass our private boundaries we will apply an enormous biting pressure to their asses.

JPred

Activity: 392

my magic is growing strong[er]

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 09:54:06 PM

Thanks Smiley

http://guardian.ng/news/cbn-bars-banks-from-bitcoin-virtual-currencies/#comment-3114258436

I'm glad people can see the difference between kobo and some of the other players trying to establish themselves in the market. Onecoin in particular. I'm not a fan.

I have to believe in Africa's future. KOBO is also my choice for this continent and its beautiful people groups.

FREEDOM
p3ngu1n

Activity: 304

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 03:15:09 PM

Is development progress?
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2017, 04:35:08 PM

Is development progress?
There are plans to expand the mobile wallet offering into iOS. The issue is just time and money. I need a new dev environment (I'm sick of pointing a fan at my old workhorse so it doesn't crash when compiling!).

I think mobile is the way to go right now. Kobo is a straight up digital currency and I need to make sure that people can carry kobo with them wherever they go. That's the main way forward for kobo right now. I'm watching all developments in the crypto space to see what will add value. The first thing I want to add is pin-to-send, or pin-to-login-to-the-mobile-wallet-app (just like other mobile banking apps which is easier - it's just a wrapper).

I will be looking at developments that help with transaction speed and capacity. At the moment I don't see any developments that take the main mobile focus forward. If funds become available I'd like to commission a brand new mobile wallet that's secure and resilient and with a lot more features than currently available.

p3ngu1n

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 05:56:36 AM

Great!
I bought kobocoin now Smiley

Please do your best.
brigabriela470

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 01:46:39 PM

Thanks Smiley

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b8/de/ec/b8deecaa790a787eeba6eea70afc1fd6.jpg

whats a beautiful logic is lying here that the same people who become against of us at start the same are at our admiration.
leigh2k14
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 09:14:57 AM

Is development progress?
There are plans to expand the mobile wallet offering into iOS. The issue is just time and money. I need a new dev environment (I'm sick of pointing a fan at my old workhorse so it doesn't crash when compiling!).

I think mobile is the way to go right now. Kobo is a straight up digital currency and I need to make sure that people can carry kobo with them wherever they go. That's the main way forward for kobo right now. I'm watching all developments in the crypto space to see what will add value. The first thing I want to add is pin-to-send, or pin-to-login-to-the-mobile-wallet-app (just like other mobile banking apps which is easier - it's just a wrapper).

I will be looking at developments that help with transaction speed and capacity. At the moment I don't see any developments that take the main mobile focus forward. If funds become available I'd like to commission a brand new mobile wallet that's secure and resilient and with a lot more features than currently available.

Keep up the good work, we believe in you and this project, one day it WILL be used in Africa.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄                   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄      ▄▄▄
████████████▄       ███                ▄███████████▄            ▄██████████      ███     ███▀
███     ▀▀███▌      ███               ████▀     ▀████         ▄███▀▀     ▀▀      ███    ███▀
███       ███▌      ███              ███▀         ▀███       ▄███                ███   ███
███     ▄███▀       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███  ███
██████████▀         ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███ ███
███▀▀▀▀▀████▄       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███  ███     ███           ███
███      ▀███▌      ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███   ███     ███         ███
███       ███▌      ███              ███▄         ▄███        ███                ███    ███     ███       ███
███     ▄▄███▌      ███               ████▄     ▄████         ▀███▄▄     ▄▄      ███     ███▄    ███▄   ▄███
████████████▀       ███████████        ▀███████████▀            ▀██████████      ███      ███▄    ███▄ ▄███
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                  ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀     ███▄███
                                                                                                    ▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

Token Sale Starts on [ 12 October ]
[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2017, 09:45:14 PM
Last edit: February 07, 2017, 10:38:08 PM by TheTribesman

UPDATE

Kobocoin is now 2 years old! (7th February, 2015 - 7th February, 2017)

We've proved our staying power and been battle hardened in the most brutal capitalist industry on the planet. No ICO, no premine, no instamine, no allegations of wrongdoing, no forks (soft or hard), the network still running, our JS library built, we're IoT ready, and our mobile wallets are still syncing (after many late nights suffering!). Our problems with Yobit withdrawal continue. If anyone knows how to contact the team directly then please let me know. It's been almost a year now and trollbox support attempts aren't working. I will consider a nice reward for anyone who can get Yobit to sort out the withdrawal issue.

The Future

For KOBO, the future is mobile. The desktop wallets will be also be updated but right now the mobile wallets need to give new crypto/kobo users more information and services other than just the wallet function itself.

I've found a developer who's already started working on the new wallet features. He's an Android/iOS developer (not crypto - so no blockchain updates... yet). The following features will be added over the next few weeks.

1. PIN Entry System (on startup or app lockout) - In progress
To include app lock after 60s non-activity

2. KOBO/BTC Markets Page
Consisting of:
   - KOBO price
   - BTC price
   - KOBO/BTC price (average)- This can be expanded later to include LTC/DOGE/XMR
   - KOBO/BTC price (individual exchanges)

3. General Crypto Markets Page
Page based on CoinMarketcap API's of top 10 (or 20, or even 30).

4. Newsfeed Page
With the following news categories being pulled into the page. These could be individual categories or just the top 20 items based on the categories listed below. I considered having individual sources being listed and selectable but I'm not sure it's necessary right now. It's can come at a later date if the demand is there.
   - Crypto News
   - Fintech News
   - Africa News
   - World News

5. Core Wallet Features
   - Sweep Paper Wallet - Very very important. People need this to add KOBO they buy from agents to their wallet so it's as easy as adding phone credit.
   - There is an existing issue where attempting to label an address (incoming transactions) causes the app to crash (I already created an updated WalletActivity.java that just needs to be implemented).

6. Possible Future Developments
   - Services Marketplace where KOBO / BTC / LTC / XMR / DOGE is accepted
   - African based crypto noticeboard where early adopters (businesses only) can get their message out. They will hopefully be converted to long-term platform advertisers
   - Your Ideas invited

At the moment I'm not trying to link the wallet and newsfeed via code. That can come later based on wallet usage or how things progress in general. And of course, I will be asking about porting the app to iOS Smiley

The aim is to build a compelling mobile wallet that people (not just kobo users) will consider downloading. I'd like prospective business partners to view the wallet as an advertising platform as well as crypto wallet. I'd also like to think that there's a way to require all partners/advertisers/prospects to pay in KOBO for all services (advertising, sponsorship, listings etc). Crazy as it sounds, I'm hoping this requirement will help with exchange volumes.

This is the MVP (Minimum Viable Product). It's going to cost me quite a bit to get it built but if the demand is there (after the work is completed) then I'll consider getting a business plan drawn up and go for some proper funding to really build up the wallet services. Once the above work is complete I'll also commission professional marketing shots of the mobile app so it can be advertised to a wider audience.

Some prospective partners in Kenya, Nigeria, and the USA are looking into if/home they can use kobo in their payment offerings (this still includes Bitsoko - that collaboration is not dead yet, it's just moving very slowly). I've had discussions on how kobo can work for them (as opposed to bitcoin). One prospective partner even asked if they needed to buy mining equipment. I explained the difference between PoW and PoS which they liked, but once again, no matter how good things get I always remember that our exchange volumes are not the greatest. At this point it's our achilles heel.

My biggest concern at this time is the Yobit withdrawal issue. I hate to think that new users are going to Yobit to trade BTC for KOBO and then finding out they can't withdraw the KOBO. That's the biggest downfall at this time. I've been constantly contacting Yobit but I just cannot seem to get them to move on this. Maybe I should offer them some BTC. That normally wakes people up.

Any further ideas for the wallets? All advice appreciated (other than the expected BCT "why don't you just die already" advice which I still won't be taking). Please try to keep ideas to things that can be achieved without the intervention/interaction of others (e.g. advising me to go and get the biggest online retailer in Africa to accept KOBO is not realistic right now). Service offerings are what's possible at this time.

tl;dr?
Two years on, KOBO is still alive

Smiley

Rw13enlib88
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1025

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 02:15:51 PM

Happy Bithday KOBO!!!
p3ngu1n

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 09:46:08 PM

Happy Bithday Cheesy

and I'm looking forward to the future.
drfeelgood1

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 09:42:12 AM

hi just to let you know the PC wallet is not working  happy birthday
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2017, 01:30:28 PM

hi just to let you know the PC wallet is not working  happy birthday

What's the issue you're experiencing?

drfeelgood1

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 10:41:32 AM

the wallet is not syncing and shows no active connections
francism

Activity: 444

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 11:04:55 AM

Congrats dev team for making it this far. Wishing Kobocoin more years to come!
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  

Jump to: