Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:10:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL returned money for preorder (ASIC minirig - 30.000$) [solved]  (Read 9914 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 11:55:02 AM

So if he paid USD and it went the other way they should pay him in BTC?
No, of course not. Some of the previous posters are mistaken about how BFL received funds. BFL used a payment processor who converted the BTC for each order and deposited the sale amount in USD to BFL's bank.

I'm also fairly certain that the OP made no mention of wanting a jacked up amount in return. Just his 30k...

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
psilan

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 11:56:42 AM

Ah I see. I wasn't aware about the conversion. Thanks.

dip
Barracuda (OP)

Activity: 514
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 12:11:19 PM

I just want to receive 30.000$ + shipping cost i paid in BTC. Conversion $ -> BTC will be calculated by BFL. Will it be the rate on the date of refund confirmation or not it's up to them.
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 04:49:33 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2012, 05:11:57 PM by ||bit

I just want to receive 30.000$ + shipping cost i paid in BTC. Conversion $ -> BTC will be calculated by BFL. Will it be the rate on the date of refund confirmation or not it's up to them.

The rate at the date of purchase is not relevant. It's not an expense report... it's a full refund:

If you paid them $30,000...then you should get $30,000 refunded.
If you paid them 5,000 BTC...then you should get 5,000 BTC refunded.
If you paid them 10,000 clam shells... then you should get 10,000 clam shells refunded.
....etc....

||bit
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 04:53:23 PM

The rate at the date of purchase is not relevant. It's not an expense report... it's a full refund:

If you paid them 10,000 clam shells... then you should get 10,000 clam shells refunded.
....etc....

||bit
Sorry dude, that's not how it works in the real world.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
||bit

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:02:57 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2012, 05:19:54 PM by ||bit

....etc....

||bit

How does it work? Every time I've ever returned a product, I get back (to the penny) what I paid. Unless there are shipping costs or bank fee's.

[LATE EDIT: On second thought. I haven't done any oversea's ordering that I can recall. So, I'm not as familiiar with the nuances of it, and don't wnat to think about it anymore right now.
I've been up all night... my brain feels like a soup sandwich.]

||bit
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:12:47 PM

BFL doesn't have bitcoins and that's why they will refund 30k$. That happens to be exactly what he paid.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:14:43 PM

....etc....

||bit

How does it work? Every time I've ever returned a product, I get back (to the penny) what I paid. Unless there are shipping costs or bank fee's.

||bit

Yes, but how often have you been dealing with multiple currencies in the same way? If I used my USD PayPal to pay someone in GBP for something, and then got it refunded, PayPal isn't going to refund the exact USD amount, especially if the exchange rate has changed between the purchase date and the refund date. Ignoring fees of course.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:16:45 PM

....etc....

||bit

||bit

Yes, but how often have you been dealing with multiple currencies in the same way? If I used my USD PayPal to pay someone in GBP for something, and then got it refunded, PayPal isn't going to refund the exact USD amount, especially if the exchange rate has changed between the purchase date and the refund date. Ignoring fees of course.

I agree, BFL should not stand to lose on the BTC rise.
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:19:18 PM

If I buy something with paypal for $20, I pay paypal with 16 euro.
If I cancel it, the company will pay me $20 on my paypal.
If the value of the euro dropped a little, I get 15 euro on my paypal account.
That's how it works.

If you pay via bitpay with BTC, the company doesn't see BTC just like it doesn't see my euro.
If bitpay keeps 10% (probably less, I don't know their terms) of the transaction value and you pay and get a refund via bitpay, you only have 81% of your initial payment.
If the value of a currency rises or lowers it can be different.

I don't see why BFL should compensate for that.
||bit

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:25:44 PM

....etc....

||bit

||bit

Yeah, I kinda thought something like that already and amended my comment. However, we are not talking PayPal (yet). BFL is taking wired funds and BTC. And I doubt they already exchanged all the preorder BTC for local currency...or whatever currency they are going to need to buy materials (or tickets to the Cayman Islands?).
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:38:25 PM

Yeah, I kinda thought something like that already and amended my comment. However, we are not talking PayPal (yet). BFL is taking wired funds and BTC. And I doubt they already exchanged all the preorder BTC for local currency...or whatever currency they are going to need to buy materials (or tickets to the Cayman Islands?).

Actually they do. When you buy thru Bitpay, Bitpay takes the BTC and gives BFL USD. BFL never actually touches the BTC.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
||bit

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:52:19 PM

Actually they do. When you buy thru Bitpay, Bitpay takes the BTC and gives BFL USD. BFL never actually touches the BTC.

Then that settles any questions about it with me. Bit-pay owes him 5000BTC!  just kidding Tongue
Makes sense then to convert it to a more current rate.

||bit
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 09:55:19 PM

Well, the problem is not if BFL should refund BTC or USD.
They don't refund anything, although they already promised. Barracuda wants his money back, that simple. It is not about profit or risen exchange rates, he simply wants his money back.

Ente
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:31:39 PM

They don't refund anything, although they already promised. Barracuda wants his money back, that simple. It is not about profit or risen exchange rates, he simply wants his money back.

Ente

*noggles* That is the issue at hand. Being that BFL publicy stated here they would refund him it will likely happen. How long it will take them is anyones guess though.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
ice_chill

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 11:18:48 PM

$30k is also quite big, not the same as refunding $1k
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 02:59:14 AM

Why not?

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Barracuda (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:23:55 AM

Ente

Exactly! Thanks for this brilliant post!
ice_chill

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 09:58:24 AM

Why not?

It's to do with TAX, moving around large sums like that might look suspicious to the tax inspector. They need to figure out the right way to do it.
Barracuda (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 04:48:39 PM

And what to do now? BFL doesn't return money already 10 days (from my enquiry) ... Smells like a fraud...
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: