Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:46:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Client Redeam private key?  (Read 4444 times)
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 08:01:13 PM

You should really edit your bitcoin.conf and add the settings it said.
It is either in D:\Programme\Bitcoin\Blockchain or C:\Users\Sgt.Banana\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\bitcoin.conf

It's not that hard, just open the file with Notepad and add the rpcuser and rpcpassword settings.

For providing the settings through the command line, I have no idea (I thought it would work like BkkCoin said).

There is no file called "bitcoin.conf" in either of the two directories

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 08:07:49 PM

Then create one, on D:\Programme\Bitcoin\Blockchain (because that's the datadir you specified, and I think the client expects to see the conf file there). On that folder, right click and then select New -> Text document. Then name that file bitcoin.conf without the .txt at the end. Now open the file with Notepad and add the settings to it... I agree it's a bit troublesome for non-tech-savvy users.

Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:12:39 PM

Then create one, on D:\Programme\Bitcoin\Blockchain (because that's the datadir you specified, and I think the client expects to see the conf file there). On that folder, right click and then select New -> Text document. Then name that file bitcoin.conf without the .txt at the end. Now open the file with Notepad and add the settings to it... I agree it's a bit troublesome for non-tech-savvy users.

Ok, I did just that, created the bitcoin.conf file like you described, saved it in D:\Programme\Bitcoin\Blockchain first, didnt work, saved it in C:\Users\Sgt.Banana\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin like the client expects it by default, then..
nothing.

Ok actually it did something, so that the command line locked up and I could see the blockchain download all over again in C:\Users\Sgt.Banana\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin the directory I tried to divert the heavy 3GB blockchain from!

So this seems not to work, unless I remodel the partition size of my harddrive, which I wont do.

Is there something else we can do to make this work? Thx for your help so far.
gbl08ma

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 09:23:52 PM

In the command line parameters you pass to bitcoind, you should also be telling it to look for data in your custom directory... so that it doesn't think it hasn't downloaded the blockchain.

I agree this is a big, big hassle. You could create a blockchain.info wallet, redeem the key there and then send the funds to another address you control, on the Bitcoin.org client. This should be much simpler compared to all the things you had to do already, and you still didn't get it working.
At blockchain.info, the option for importing a key inside a wallet is at Import/Export (click Continue then) -> "Import Private Key". It's really easy.

Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:41:26 PM

I know, I know, I did this already Wink

But I still would like to know how to go without 3rd party services like blockchain.info or mtgox,..
Just with the bare bones the satoshi client.
gbl08ma

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 10:16:23 PM

But I still would like to know how to go without 3rd party services like blockchain.info or mtgox,..

Well, basically it's just what we mentioned here Wink
In your specific case, you need to add more parameters to the commands because you don't have the client data and blockchain in the usual places.
This means it becomes a bit of a mess to have the config file and the command line parameters all synced to work coherently...

Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 11:38:53 PM

Well, basically it's just what we mentioned here Wink
In your specific case, you need to add more parameters to the commands because you don't have the client data and blockchain in the usual places.
This means it becomes a bit of a mess to have the config file and the command line parameters all synced to work coherently...

Alright, alright I give up already! I just hope they will fix that in the versions of the Satoshi client still to come. At least by version 1.0 they should have implemented a no sweat easy-as-shit way to import private keys. Just let the user enter the damn priv. key from the GUI and BAM! Thats it. No tinkering with any frigging command lines necessary anymore!

(can you tell I just watched another episode of the Angry Video Game Nerd?)

Thx for your patience anyway
samadamsbeer

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 01:20:43 PM

Blockchain.info has a desktop sync. Is it possible to just do a desktop sync with Blockchain.info and then uninstall the client, thereby migrating from the Satoshi client to Blockchain.info and not needing to install the client again?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: