Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:24:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Halifax, now HSBC - ACCOUNT CLOSED  (Read 2825 times)
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 04:51:33 AM

This leads me to think a bank blacklist would be an interesting and useful idea, if it doesn't already exist. A bank doesn't play nice with users of bitcoin? Well now they're on the list. Lost business for them, more press for bitcoin "trying" to be "legitimate".

Here you go:
List of Bitcoin Hostile (and friendly) Banks

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CtrlAltBernanke420

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 05:55:41 AM

Scary stuff how the banks are so in control of our lives and can cut us off from civilisation by closing our bank accounts.

This has been a problem with banks since forever really. You buy into their system, they own you and the use of your money.

This leads me to think a bank blacklist would be an interesting and useful idea, if it doesn't already exist. A bank doesn't play nice with users of bitcoin? Well now they're on the list. Lost business for them, more press for bitcoin "trying" to be "legitimate".

Bitcoin will be used for nefarious purposes as well as good.. Quit kidding yourself.
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:44:52 AM

Do you mind telling us what order of magnitude the afore mentioned transactions were ?

With Halifax, it was probably about £10k.

With HSBC, it was probably less than that directly related to bitcoin. Other transactions were on that account but they were purchasing parts from retailers, all well above board.

Are they locking your fund with them or just closing the account after giving all your dues ?

No the funds in the account including any interest are just returned to me as a cheque.

but, you can use localbitcoin and wire system (to a private seller).
or others exchange with thrid party (okcoin, etcs ...).

the bank never seen the direct exchange ... fee hell, well ... it's the game, now.  Roll Eyes

Not true. With Halifax, I had transferred money to BTC-E through OKPAY.
However with HSBC, I hadn't, I had only sold / bought a few times on localbitcoins, direct to other user's bank accounts. Never any reference to Bitcoin.

This is why the bitcoin community needs to stop waiting for the banks to accept bitcoin and crowd-fund our own fiat bank so we can move fiat to exchanges without getting our accounts closed. I'm not talking about a "bitcoin bank" or any such nonsense, but a regular fiat deposit bank owned by bitcoin users in the form of publicly traded assets. It costs about $12-20 million to start a bank in the USA. I started a thread arguing for this awhile ago:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=916527.0

I really like that idea. I wonder why it hasn't been done already?
I suppose it's probably because any bank that sets up and is openly Bitcoin friendly will be shunned by other banks and not able to lend themselves, thus, failing at the first hurdle.

Here you go:
List of Bitcoin Hostile (and friendly) Banks

Very out of date now???

*Image Removed*
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 01:39:06 PM

However with HSBC, I hadn't, I had only sold / bought a few times on localbitcoins, direct to other user's bank accounts. Never any reference to Bitcoin.

Could you please explain "transferred money to BTC-E through OKPAY." ?
gjgjg

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 02:34:33 PM

... and it's almost exactly the same words...

if one were so inclined, one could think that the banks were issued standard response statements to use for BTC accounts that they wish to close...

or they have the same lawyer that wrote it up... or they have the same letter for all T&C 'violations'...

or they all just sound the same when the open their mouths.

when will the BTC community come together to open a 'crowd funded' bank? there must be some country where a licence would be easy to get...?!

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
miztaziggy (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 02:39:39 PM

Could you please explain "transferred money to BTC-E through OKPAY." ?

Well, I sent money via BACS to OKPay (actually the same company as BTC-E I think).

From OKPay I transferred the money to BTC-E and spent it on BTC.

*Image Removed*
miztaziggy (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 02:42:07 PM

... and it's almost exactly the same words...

if one were so inclined, one could think that the banks were issued standard response statements to use for BTC accounts that they wish to close...

or they have the same lawyer that wrote it up... or they have the same letter for all T&C 'violations'...

or they all just sound the same when the open their mouths.

when will the BTC community come together to open a 'crowd funded' bank? there must be some country where a licence would be easy to get...?!

The problem being that if a new bank opens to specifically cater for BTC, the other banks simply won't lend to them, thus stopping them in their tracks on day 1.

Also - if you set up a bank, you're an 'insider' and you would benefit most from the current fiat system. Why would you actively promote Bitcoin?

*Image Removed*
Lavender

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 06:47:36 PM

Fidelity
Vanguard
Schwab

Brokerages offer nearly all of the advantages of national banks with none of the bitcoin hostility
+ Bitcoin friendly
+ Free checking
+ Free debit card
+ No ATM fees
+ Free bill pay
+ Professional support via phone and instant message
+ No hidden fees
+/- Only a few brick & mortar locations per city, so you'll have to drive a little further for in-person services like notary
- No cash deposits, for that I use BlueBird at WalMart (max 2,000 USD/mo)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: