Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:49:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: S3+ Bitmain Miner Power Arrangement  (Read 5345 times)
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 12:42:22 PM

Guys please chill out!  Grin
ATX PSU EVGA 1000W G2 x 2 will cost £280 plus possiable splitters and extra VGA cable as per my design early.

Do not buy EVGA 1000W G2.

3x EVGA Supernova G2 1300W + shipping from germany to estonia is only 532,69 EUR.

1x EVGA Supernova G2 1300W works with 3 x Antminer S3+ at normal speed. No need for aplitters.

I plan to OC these mo fo's Smiley

Not all of the S3+ does OC.   Only 30% of those working at Frequency 250 .

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 04:07:05 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2014, 04:21:33 AM by visdude

I believe that each 6-pin connector is rated industry standard at 192watts max., which the S3+ falls under per blade at default speed, but once you start overclocking if falls outside of spec. and that's why it is recommended to connect the 2nd pair of 6-pin connectors if you OverClock.  So don't listen to those that say it's OK, it may be OK for them but it's not designed to do that and if you have the 2nd pair of connectors then just attach them.

At an ambient room temperature of 29C (84F), an S3 oc'd to 250M requires around 360WDC from a PSU; 180WDC per blade.  Therefore, one power input per S3 blade is still within the 192W max capacity spec of a 6-pin PCIe power harness (Mini-Fit Jr. power connector with 18-gauge wires).  I have oc'd my units to 250M (though I have been keeping them at 243.75M since it seems to be the sweet spot) using Corsair CX500 PSUs (only two PCIe power connection) with no issues whatsoever and the PCIe power cables/connectors are barely warm to the touch.  They've been continuously hashing for almost three months now.  Do not take my word for it though; go with the figures I provided above.

...and I do have pictures:  Wink

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671189.msg8227268#msg8227268
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671189.msg8471571#msg8471571

On your first link you say:
Legend:  Tambient/Tdevice/Wattage/Hash Rate

@ 218.75M (stock)
35C/45C/365W/440GHs

@ 225M
35C/45C/378W/453GHs

@ 237.5M
32C/43/400W/478GHs

@ 250M
29C/43C/425W/485GHs

But then you say on this post "S3 oc'd to 250M requires around 360WDC from a PSU"

Or am I miss reading something?

Yes, you're definitely missing something.

You must have some mighty efficient S3's, here's what my Overclocked S3+'s consumed AT THE POWER SUPPLY.  
237.5M will use about 385w
250M will use about 410w
So no, when Overclocked they do not fall within specs.

Two other reviews online I read had similar results.

Hmmm...

Like firewire2013, you obviously are missing the fundamentals when figuring out PSU wattages/specs/performance.  Since it is so fundamental/basic when it comes to dealing with PSUs in relation to the devices they are powering, I refrain from spoonfeeding to give you both a chance to learn it yourselves the proper way through sound research and hard work.  However, I'm glad to offer hints to hopefully point you to the right direction:

-AC > DC conversion
-PSU efficiency
-WAC from the wall vs. WDC from the PSU
-carefully reread the first paragraph in my first link

I think those are more than enough hints to get you going.

Well, if you' want to respond like that, then I'll respond in kind.

And here we have a case of someone claiming they know more than other people including the manufacturer of the product he thinks he's an expert on ("I'll use your product, but you designed it wrong" attitude).  Please don't explain yourself, it shows a lot.  AC>DC Conversion?  That should be included in the PSU efficiency because all AC is converted to DC in the power supply, hnmmm but you have it listed separately.  When a power supply manufacturer lists the efficiency, they include for loss from conversion as well as heat for the rating.  Wall reading vs. from the power supply, well I have both of those listed in my readings, so your response is moot.  Please don't bother rereading your own posts, I think I've given you more than enough hints to your mistakes.  I feel sorry for people that might follow your advise and similar "If the wires get hot after ten minutes... easy to check...", but then if there is problems you have no responsibility to the possible damages your advise caused.

Where exactly did I say I know more than the manufacturers?  That said, they're not technical deities either (couldn't even put together a decent S3 firmware).  My numbers are sound; it's more like you couldn't figure them out and I'm not about to resort to spoonfeeding and deprive you of the joys of discovery and the satisfaction derived from learning in the process.  If you really believe that my numbers are off, then illustrate it in detail.  Just saying so doesn't wash; but then again, that's how you roll it seems.  Right on cue, you continue to make stuff up.

Anyway, I was merely making sense of your "each 6-pin connector is rated industry standard at 192watts max., which the S3+ falls under per blade at default speed, but once you start overclocking if falls outside of spec" statement.  Industry standard of what?  Please elaborate on which industry it is a standard of.  Do you know where or how this "192watts max" is derived from?  To reiterate, an S3 overclocked to 250M at an ambient temperature of 29C draws around 180WDC/blade.  Yes, it's a sound number which you obviously haven't figured out yet; otherwise, we wouldn't be having this interesting discussion.  180W is clearly within the "192watts max" specification of a single PCIe power harness that you produced without any substantiation.  Yet, you continue to insist that "when Overclocked they do not fall within specs".  How does 180W not fall within the "192watts max" specs that you have been brandishing around?  It's your number, not mine.  I am merely applying it.

Like you, I also prefer a decent headroom when it comes to PSU loading (within reason considering cost/safety factor).  If it's working and you're happy and comfy using a particular PSU (overkill or not), then good for you.  I'm glad that your units are hashing safely.  However, there has already been a ridiculous amount of anecdotal and baseless posts in these forums and adding more does not help.  It's hard enough to sift the facts from fables and fabrications as it is.

Hint: Modern ATX PSUs that we use to power our miners nowadays are equipped with 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors (three +12V circuits) instead of the legacy 6-pin ones (two +12V circuits). They (6+2 or 8-pin PCIe power connectors) could theoretically handle up to 252W.  But don't take my word for it.

Homework Assignment: Read up on Molex Standard Mini-Fit Jr. power connector specs (as well as their HCS and Plus HCS variations for good measure.  Interesting stuff.)

IITravel01

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 04:23:09 AM

I believe that each 6-pin connector is rated industry standard at 192watts max., which the S3+ falls under per blade at default speed, but once you start overclocking if falls outside of spec. and that's why it is recommended to connect the 2nd pair of 6-pin connectors if you OverClock.  So don't listen to those that say it's OK, it may be OK for them but it's not designed to do that and if you have the 2nd pair of connectors then just attach them.

At an ambient room temperature of 29C (84F), an S3 oc'd to 250M requires around 360WDC from a PSU; 180WDC per blade.  Therefore, one power input per S3 blade is still within the 192W max capacity spec of a 6-pin PCIe power harness (Mini-Fit Jr. power connector with 18-gauge wires).  I have oc'd my units to 250M (though I have been keeping them at 243.75M since it seems to be the sweet spot) using Corsair CX500 PSUs (only two PCIe power connection) with no issues whatsoever and the PCIe power cables/connectors are barely warm to the touch.  They've been continuously hashing for almost three months now.  Do not take my word for it though; go with the figures I provided above.

@ 218.75M (stock)
35C/45C/365W/440GHs

@ 225M
35C/45C/378W/453GHs

@ 237.5M
32C/43/400W/478GHs

@ 250M
29C/43C/425W/485GHs

But then you say on this post "S3 oc'd to 250M requires around 360WDC from a PSU"

You must have some mighty efficient S3's, here's what my Overclocked S3+'s consumed AT THE POWER SUPPLY.  
250M will use about 410w

Hmmm...

Like firewire2013, you obviously are missing the fundamentals when figuring out PSU wattages/specs/performance.  Since it is so fundamental/basic when it comes to dealing with PSUs in relation to the devices they are powering, I refrain from spoonfeeding to give you both a chance to learn it yourselves the proper way through sound research and hard work.  However, I'm glad to offer hints to hopefully point you to the right direction:

-AC > DC conversion
-PSU efficiency

And here we have a case of someone claiming they know more than other people including the manufacturer of the product he thinks he's an expert on ("I'll use your product, but you designed it wrong" attitude).  Please don't explain yourself, it shows a lot.  AC>DC Conversion?  That should be included in the PSU efficiency because all AC is converted to DC in the power supply, hnmmm but you have it listed separately.  When a power supply manufacturer lists the efficiency, they include for loss from conversion as well as heat for the rating.  Wall reading vs. from the power supply, well I have both of those listed in my readings, so your response is moot.  Please don't bother rereading your own posts, I think I've given you more than enough hints to your mistakes.  I feel sorry for people that might follow your advise and similar "If the wires get hot after ten minutes... easy to check...", but then if there is problems you have no responsibility to the possible damages your advise caused.

Where exactly did I say I know more than the manufacturers?  That said, they're not technical deities either (couldn't even put together a decent S3 firmware).  My numbers are sound; it's more like you couldn't figure them out and I'm not about to resort to spoonfeeding and deprive you of the joys of discovery and the satisfaction derived from learning in the process.  If you really believe that my numbers are off, then illustrate it in detail.  Just saying so doesn't wash; but then again, that's how you roll it seems.  Right on cue, you continue to make stuff up.

Anyway, I was merely making sense of your "each 6-pin connector is rated industry standard at 192watts max., which the S3+ falls under per blade at default speed, but once you start overclocking if falls outside of spec" statement.  Industry standard of what?  Please elaborate on which industry it is a standard of.  Do you know where or how this "192watts max" is derived from?  To reiterate, an S3 overclocked to 250M at an ambient temperature of 29C draws around 180WDC/blade.  Yes, it's a sound number which you obviously haven't figured out yet; otherwise, we wouldn't be having this interesting discussion.  180W is clearly within the "192watts max" specification of a single PCIe power harness that you produced without any substantiation.  Yet, you continue to insist that "when Overclocked they do not fall within specs".  How does 180W not fall within the "192watts max" specs that you have been brandishing around?  It's your number, not mine.  I am merely applying it.

Like you, I also prefer a decent headroom when it comes to PSU loading (within reason considering cost/safety factor).  If it's working and you're happy and comfy using a particular PSU (overkill or not), then good for you.  I'm glad that your units are hashing safely.  However, there has already been a ridiculous amount of anecdotal and baseless posts in these forums and adding more does not help.  It's hard enough to sift the facts from fables and fabrications as it is.

Hint: Modern ATX PSUs that we use to power our miners nowadays are equipped with 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors (three +12V circuits) instead of the legacy 6-pin ones (two +12V circuits).  They (6+2 or 8-pin PCIe power connectors) could theoretically handle up to 252W.  But don't take my word for it.

Homework Assignment: Read up on Molex Standard Mini-Fit Jr. power connector specs (as well as their HCS and Plus HCS variations for good measure.  Interesting stuff.)

Why would BitMain so over estimate the wattage drawn at default and when overclocked if you can get it for so much lower than anyone else?  Oddly, I don't find that in any way a benefit to advertise that if they're incorrect. 

Also you're scaring me, I don't think you understand what you're talking about, especially in regards to this statement "Hint: Modern ATX PSUs that we use to power our miners nowadays are equipped with 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors (three +12V circuits) instead of the legacy 6-pin ones (two +12V circuits).  They (6+2 or 8-pin PCIe power connectors) could theoretically handle up to 252W.  But don't take my word for it."  You do realize that that rating is ONLY with all 8 pins connected, the AntMiner has 6 pins at each connection.  Therefore what is the max. with 6 pins?  You've really got to do some more homework before you post any further.

visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 05:07:41 AM

@ 218.75M (stock)
35C/45C/365W/440GHs

@ 225M
35C/45C/378W/453GHs

@ 237.5M
32C/43/400W/478GHs

@ 250M
29C/43C/425W/485GHs

250M will use about 410w

Hmmm...

-AC > DC conversion
-PSU efficiency

Hint: Modern ATX PSUs that we use to power our miners nowadays are equipped with 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors (three +12V circuits) instead of the legacy 6-pin ones (two +12V circuits).  They (6+2 or 8-pin PCIe power connectors) could theoretically handle up to 252W.  But don't take my word for it.

Why would BitMain so over estimate the wattage drawn at default and when overclocked if you can get it for so much lower than anyone else?  Oddly, I don't find that in any way a benefit to advertise that if they're incorrect.  

Also you're scaring me, I don't think you understand what you're talking about, especially in regards to this statement "Hint: Modern ATX PSUs that we use to power our miners nowadays are equipped with 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors (three +12V circuits) instead of the legacy 6-pin ones (two +12V circuits).  They (6+2 or 8-pin PCIe power connectors) could theoretically handle up to 252W.  But don't take my word for it."  You do realize that that rating is ONLY with all 8 pins connected, the AntMiner has 6 pins at each connection.  Therefore what is the max. with 6 pins?  You've really got to do some more homework before you post any further.

Next homework assignment:  study 8-pin (6+2) PCIe power connector pinout

If you still couldn't get it, then I can't help you any further.

firewire2013 (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 05:05:22 PM

Just about the start wiring the PCI-e plugs for the Server PSU. Could someone just quickly on confirm the plug wiring layout below is correct for the miner, thanks

Black = Ground
Yellow = 12v

BTC: 1BbJmzqcxnJEc3gPcBFbjoUnRB9WGHZ3Cf
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:22:38 PM

Just about the start wiring the PCI-e plugs for the Server PSU. Could someone just quickly on confirm the plug wiring layout below is correct for the miner, thanks

Black = Ground
Yellow = 12v

thats correct.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
firewire2013 (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:56:54 PM

Thanks  Grin

firewire2013 (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 03:15:11 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2014, 03:56:43 PM by firewire2013

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion   Grin

I totally forgot to take some close ups of the Dell 2100w PSU. In the end I soldered the cables onto the terminals, this was instead of using spades. The terminals are slightly tapered so spades are not secure enough. The connecter blocks worked a treat.
The only thing is the PSU is quite loud, but thats not a problem because its in my Dads loft which is 22 miles from my house lol.
Currently there all OC’d at 250 and combined its hashing between 1900 – 2000. One thing I have noticed is one miner is running at 430GH not sure why quess ill have to research that one.
I’m back over there in two weeks so I’ll take voltage readings and provide and average Watt/GH.

Buying some more in a few weeks. BTCBTCBTC

Deagle21

Activity: 333
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 04:07:47 PM

I totally forgot to take some close ups of the Dell 2100w PSU. In the end I soldered the cables onto the terminals, this was instead of using spades. The terminals are slightly tapered so spades are not secure enough. The connecter blocks worked a treat.
The only thing is the PSU is quite loud, but thats not a problem because its in my Dads loft which is 22 miles from my house lol.
Currently there all OC’d at 250 and combined its hashing between 1900 – 2000. One thing I have noticed is one miner is running at 430GH not sure why quess ill have to research that one.
I’m back over there in two weeks so I’ll take voltage readings and provide and average Watt/GH.

Don't you need to plug in the other two PCI-E connections if you overclock?
firewire2013 (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 04:18:58 PM

When I first started this tread I was under the assumption that the card required extra power though each connecter, when in reality this is not true. Yes the card does require more power when OC’d but this can be drawn from one connection providing the cable can take it.

I believe the reason its recommend to plug in all four when over clocking, is because a standard PCIE with 18 awg cable will get hot and therefore burn out.

I have made my own cables using 16 awg and then from the connector block that connects to the PSU terminals I used 14 awg, even after 4 hours the cables and PSU were stone cold.

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 04:57:52 PM

When I first started this tread I was under the assumption that the card required extra power though each connecter, when in reality this is not true. Yes the card does require more power when OC’d but this can be drawn from one connection providing the cable can take it.
I believe the reason its recommend to plug in all four when over clocking, is because a standard PCIE with 18 awg cable will get hot and therefore burn out.
I have made my own cables using 16 awg and then from the connector block that connects to the PSU terminals I used 14 awg, even after 4 hours the cables and PSU were stone cold.
^dead on. 1 connection per blade is sufficient when using a proper cable for the job.

one additional thought though - by using the second connector as well, it better distributes current on the PCB. This would MARGINALLY reduce resistance in the PCB and ensure the area around the single connector doesnt get warm. However, no issues or PCB failures have been seen yet, and any power savings would be on the order of 1-2w/PCB - so its not really necessary to plug in all 4 connectors unless you actually happen to have enough cables to begin with (which most PSUs wont - such as the EVGA 1300 having 6 cables only (2 of which are double connectors though)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: