Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:52:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC is bogus  (Read 22334 times)
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 09:02:32 PM

NOOOOOOO!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 09:07:51 PM

NOOOOOOO!!!

haha

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 10:08:38 PM

I was the first who called Pirateat40s Savings and Trust a "classical HYIP scam", right after his OP.
Yet I didn't take part in Matthews bet - get it?  Tongue
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:55:54 AM

I was the first who called Pirateat40s Savings and Trust a "classical HYIP scam", right after his OP.

Being right about something in Bitcoin-land being a scam is somewhat less than miraculous.  Your performance seem to be somewhat on par with getting heads three times in a row on a coin flip.  None-the-less, good work (seriously) if what you say is accurate, and I don't track things that closely to verify.  You called the BFL think some time ago as evidenced by this thread so if you turn out correct it will be notable in my mind.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 05:48:33 AM

It is not my intention to taunt when I tell people to put their money where their mouth is by betting 'disagree' on http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=665 I tell them that to hopefully stop (or at least reduce) the length of the debates on the forum.

So, no, I honestly don't get it why you don't participate in a bet like mine, even a symbolic 1 BTC... If one thing, it tells me that you doubt your own claims (or don't care enough?)
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:12:37 AM

It is not my intention to taunt when I tell people to put their money where their mouth is by betting 'disagree' on http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=665 I tell them that to hopefully stop (or at least reduce) the length of the debates on the forum.

No, your intention is this:

Here is the breakdown of the distribution:
45% goes to the bet winners proportional to their bets.
45% goes to the bet winners proportional to their weighted bets.
5% goes to the user who submitted the bet.
5% goes to the site.
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:43:56 PM

5% goes to the site.

don't forget the sig for posterity

Non-Existent Device
Lots of Hashes and Stuff
To order send 1000 BTC or so to:
1HNLqLrPEwMk8woA91qwX9sRkatRfQik2T

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 08:50:37 PM

Being right about something in Bitcoin-land being a scam is somewhat less than miraculous.  Your performance seem to be somewhat on par with getting heads three times in a row on a coin flip. 

Yes, you are right I fully agree.
However: The performance of the masses here is significantly less efficient than a coin flip. There is the tendency to believe in any proposed business model - a manifestation of wishful thinking.
Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 10:55:52 PM

Being right about something in Bitcoin-land being a scam is somewhat less than miraculous.  Your performance seem to be somewhat on par with getting heads three times in a row on a coin flip. 

However: The performance of the masses here is significantly less efficient than a coin flip. There is the tendency to believe in any proposed business model - a manifestation of wishful thinking.

+1

COINDER
COINDER
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:40:38 AM

Ya, it's odd to me that so many people to whom the Bitcoin solution might appeal are prone to be as careless/naive as they seem to be.  One explanation is, perhaps, that we don't really notice the people who are not so, and thus it just seems like more of a notable percentage of the community than it actually is.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 07:33:30 AM

5% goes to the site.

I have mined 25+ thousand BTC the last 2 years. I couldn't care less of the comparatively tiny financial profits of this bet.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:10:12 PM

I have mined 25+ thousand BTC the last 2 years. I couldn't care less of the comparatively tiny financial profits of this bet.

Can I interest you in a fully insured no risk 7% ROI per week investment opportunity?
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 01:26:19 PM

Pics or it didn't happen

Can I interest you in a fully insured no risk 7% ROI per week investment opportunity?

haha +1 Cheesy

Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:08:40 PM

Pics or it didn't happen

haha +1 Cheesy

Did he just said 25 + 1000 so like 1025btc  Huh Huh joking

COINDER
COINDER
abeaulieu

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:46:39 PM

My point being: BFL the way it is presented to us certainly hasn't got the resources and funds to develop custom chips.

They do now.  Undecided

By custom chips I mean Full Custom ASICs, that is what they are claiming they are making. That costs about 10M USD for starters.
There might be some way to get it cheaper if you have the ties but unless whoever behind BFL is some engineering wizard he doesn't even have the means to develop it.

One of my co-workers produced an ASIC for under a couple hundred thousand dollars. It took a couple years but that was essentially because he had never done it before. It seems everytime people mention ASICs they takes someone's WAG and multiply is a couple times.

And by the way, that price included a few thousand chips off the line.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 07:14:14 PM

my co-workers produced an ASIC for under a couple hundred thousand dollars. It took a couple years but that was essentially because he had never done it before. It seems everytime people mention ASICs they takes someone's WAG and multiply is a couple times.

Unless you provide some proof of your claim it stands alone. As a claim nothing more...

Once more, certainly possible with FPGA conversion chips.
Interestingly even BFLs competition (which could turn out to be fraudulent too btw) agrees with me...
Look at http://forum.bitsyn.com/viewtopic.php?id=6 under power consumption and then take a deep breath.
abeaulieu

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 09:35:51 PM

my co-workers produced an ASIC for under a couple hundred thousand dollars. It took a couple years but that was essentially because he had never done it before. It seems everytime people mention ASICs they takes someone's WAG and multiply is a couple times.

Unless you provide some proof of your claim it stands alone. As a claim nothing more...

Interestingly even BFLs competition (which could turn out to be fraudulent too btw) agrees with me...
Look at http://forum.bitsyn.com/viewtopic.php?id=6 under power consumption and then take a deep breath.

Didn't really need to provide proof. Was just letting you know that they're not always as expensive as people think.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 10:18:24 PM

Didn't really need to provide proof. Was just letting you know that they're not always as expensive as people think.

You could have made that up on the spot though...
That's why I asked for proof.
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 04:15:39 AM

ElectricMucus, you need to chill out and accept that producing ASICs can be "a few hundred thousand dollars".

Here is a claim from another ASIC manufacturer (friedcat for his Bitfountain company's asicminer project): only ~$150k for 130nm and ~$500k for 65nm.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 05:06:13 AM

Oh yeah, friedcat is even more shady than BFL and all other mining related biz together.  Grin

An GLBSE asset which lets you rent self-made asic mining power. That is so shady I don't even start trying to educate the suckers falling for it. Did I mention he is in China?  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: