Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:37:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I used to trust Patrick Harnett  (Read 32646 times)
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 06:57:35 PM

Patrick Harnett is a god among men. That is an understatement.  Smiley

he's mormon?

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Patrick Harnett is a god among men. That is an understatement.  Smiley

That's just silly - you should have heard the derision from my wife.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:51:23 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2012, 04:12:22 PM by BrightAnarchist

Patrick Harnett is a god among men. That is an understatement.  Smiley

Speaking of this, Kluge is also very trustworthy.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 10:01:01 PM

I was avoiding posting here, but I obviously need to provide (repeat) some information about my business and it is my private business and doesn't need to be disclosed.

Yes, I have a BS&T account, and have had it since 17 December 2011 (no secret, it's announced in the BS&T thread).  For a long time it sat around 4k and at the moment it's sitting at 10k and will probably stay that way until Christmas.  I'll be getting 5%/week on it as I don't expect to be attracting pass-through deposits.  Income derived from this account goes into two main activities:
1: Increasing BTC investments including GLBSE assets, mining equipment and a stake I have in things like a BTC electronics business, and
2: Cashing out funds to pay for various real-life things including various organisations like our local homeless shelter which is costing me a couple hundred dollars/week thanks to the efforts my wife makes.

Outside of the BS&T account, as of today, I have 10,794 BTC outstanding in loans and 10,586 BTC held on deposit (plus 160 in the 7Seas fund).  This is the core business of StarFish BCB and what generates the return for people looking for something other than BS&T exposure.

That is a Godly amount of trust.
*bows*

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
SimBesh

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 10:58:58 PM

PM'd Patrick wanting to withdraw >300btc i had on loan to him, 30 minutes later the coins were sitting in my wallet.
Top bloke!
brendio

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:46:41 AM

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/7316575/FBI-seizes-Kiwi-SpongeBob-coins

Hey, would anyone be interested in silver "In Patrick We Trust" coins?

yjacket

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 04:25:37 AM

Can someone explain the purpose of this thread? Was Patrick called into question?
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 11:13:43 AM

Can someone explain the purpose of this thread? Was Patrick called into question?

Yes, by my wife Smiley

Before I invested with him, I had to explain to her why he's reliable ... so I wanted to share the information with newcomers. This post on my blog actually attracted at least one friend of mine who is now interested in investing with Patrick (but without being exposed to BTC-USD flucutations).

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 12:53:16 AM

Ooh, that sounds like quite the idea  Shocked
Mosrite

Activity: 70

sealswithclubs.eu

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 07:07:56 AM

Matthew N. Wright. Any wagers on offer?

learn, chat and play with me at sealswithclubs.eu
squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 08:05:51 AM

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/7316575/FBI-seizes-Kiwi-SpongeBob-coins

Hey, would anyone be interested in silver "In Patrick We Trust" coins?

Hell yeah! in the shape of a starfish!! Cool.
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 09:42:25 AM

While some people do trust me, I would like to point out there are some that do not.  Some of those people I have never had contact with, nor have they discussed with me the issues they have.  There is also a special group that have assumed I'm only here in Bitcoinland to steal money from people, but I'm not going to convince them otherwise.

I am aware of at least one "bet" about my failing to make repayments.
Mosrite

sealswithclubs.eu

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 10:48:51 AM

While some people do trust me, I would like to point out there are some that do not.  Some of those people I have never had contact with, nor have they discussed with me the issues they have.  There is also a special group that have assumed I'm only here in Bitcoinland to steal money from people, but I'm not going to convince them otherwise.

Якщo пoтiк з'являєтьcя в peжимi «кopoткocтpoкoвoгo кpeдитyвaння", aбo "дoвгocтpoкoвi пpoпoзицiї," цe Пoнцi.

Mosrite

sealswithclubs.eu

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 11:27:09 AM

Якщo пoтiк з'являєтьcя в peжимi «кopoткocтpoкoвoгo кpeдитyвaння", aбo "дoвгocтpoкoвi пpoпoзицiї," цe Пoнцi.

It turns out to be just more FUD:

If the flow appears in the "short-term loans," or "long-term proposals," is a Ponzi.

Totally laughable response. YOU are a scammer, and you're supporting more scammers. No investment product can guarantee returns anywhere near the frauds that are all over this board.

Я cтaє нacтiльки виcoкi, людинa

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 11:54:29 AM

Yes we can, and do.  It is simple.  Look at the rates people pay for loans over in the loan thread.  All you need to do to make a profit is borrow money at a rate below the rate people will pay for loans - and avoid getting ripped off by people who default on their loans.
Well, and you also need to take all the risk yourself and still be willing to settle for only a sliver of the profit. And you have to stubbornly refuse to pay back your ultra-high-interest debt even though there's no possible reason you still need it.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 12:33:33 PM

Yes we can, and do.  It is simple.  Look at the rates people pay for loans over in the loan thread.  All you need to do to make a profit is borrow money at a rate below the rate people will pay for loans - and avoid getting ripped off by people who default on their loans.
Well, and you also need to take all the risk yourself and still be willing to settle for only a sliver of the profit. And you have to stubbornly refuse to pay back your ultra-high-interest debt even though there's no possible reason you still need it.
I don't follow you.  If I can't find homes for the BTC I have on deposit I send them back to their owners (with interest).  What are you talking about?
Why would you 100% agree with me but prefix it with "I don't follow you" and follow it with "What are you talking about"? You've just said exactly what I said. You are taking all the risk. You are keeping only a sliver of the profits. And you continue to borrow bitcoins at ultra-high-interest even though you are making enough money to pay those debts back. And that should, rationally, be your top priority. Any profitable business would make paying back ultra-high-interest loans its top priority.

Either you're making a lot of money yourself or you're not. If you are, there is no rational explanation for why you continue to acquire more ultra-high-interest debt. You would have paid it all off and never borrowed again. If you're not, there is no rational explanation for why you expend all this effort and take all this risk.

556j

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 01:53:48 PM

And you continue to borrow bitcoins at ultra-high-interest even though you are making enough money to pay those debts back. And that should, rationally, be your top priority. Any profitable business would make paying back ultra-high-interest loans its top priority.

How much of your net worth would you feel comfortable keeping in bitcoin? What you are suggesting could be devastating if for whatever reason bitcoin crashed and a person had most or all of their profits invested in their bitcoin business. But if you borrow and all your debits are in bitcoin you don't care the exchange rate. It's a way to short.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 02:31:11 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2012, 03:00:25 PM by JoelKatz

Let's discuss a specific example.  Let's say I have 10,000 BTC and lend out half of it at an average monthly interest rate of 10%, profit per month is 500 BTC.

There is more demand for loans so I have a choice, I can lend out more of my own BTC and eliminate my operating capital buffer or I can take on deposits.

Let's say I am able to get people to deposit 5,000 BTC in two month CDs at an average monthly interest rate of 6%.  I lend it out at the average monthly interest rate of 10%, additional profit per month is 500-300=200 BTC.

So, I have increased my profit by 200 per month and I still have my 5,000 BTC operating capital.

With this example in mind please describe your concern.
No sane person actually believes that there exists some massive supply of ultra-low-risk, ultra-high-interest loans. And no sane person with the wisdom to exploit such a pipeline to financial success (assuming it exists, which it doesn't) would also be so stupid as to borrow money at 100% APR. You can treat other people like idiots but I'm not falling for it.

6%/month is slightly more than 1.5%/week. As Gavin put it: It is impossible to get risk-free 1.5% weekly interest, I don't care how good you are at "playing the market" or "choosing who to lend to."

nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:48:18 PM

Let's discuss a specific example.  Let's say I have 10,000 BTC and lend out half of it at an average monthly interest rate of 10%, profit per month is 500 BTC.

There is more demand for loans so I have a choice, I can lend out more of my own BTC and eliminate my operating capital buffer or I can take on deposits.

Let's say I am able to get people to deposit 5,000 BTC in two month CDs at an average monthly interest rate of 6%.  I lend it out at the average monthly interest rate of 10%, additional profit per month is 500-300=200 BTC.

So, I have increased my profit by 200 per month and I still have my 5,000 BTC operating capital.

With this example in mind please describe your concern.
Why wouldn't you return 400 BTC of deposits after 2 months?
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 02:56:28 PM

It is impossible to get risk-free 1.5% weekly interest, I don't care how good you are at "playing the market" or "choosing who to lend to."

This needs to be repeated over and over until people start to get it.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: