Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:47:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Offer expired] Do you want a PirateBox?  (Read 3062 times)
Distribution (OP)

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 01:29:14 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2012, 07:08:59 PM by Distribution

If you don't know what a PirateBox is, read about it here.

I've set up three different kinds so far (on an Android device, a full install on a laptop, and finally a dedicated PirateBox on a router). The one I set up on the router is by far the best and the coolest. It's small and portable, and will be even more effective when I get the rest of my parts to build a battery pack.

At the end of August, there are three big events, happening almost simultaneously, that I think these would be perfect for. The Republican National Convention (inside of it and outside of it), the Paul festival (an event happening the days before the convention), and Freedom Fest (which is put on by Libertarians and happens the same days).

I plan on taking mine. Definitely the router, since it will be battery powered, and possibly the laptop, where it will work (it has to be plugged in).

Anyway, the files are kept on the USB drive so people can share them, and I think these events could turn up some really cool files. I'll be staying in possibly two different hotels, and visiting a third, in which I will run these. And knowing the capabilities and eagerness of government to shut down dissent, I figure there's a possibility that cell service will be jammed and that people could use these to easily share files and communicate (if only amongst each other).

Now back to my question, would you like a PirateBox? I want to have a bunch of PirateBoxes at these events. The range is limited and I can only be one place at time (same with my PirateBox). So what I propose is this--you sponsor a PirateBox, then I send it to you after the event. You get a ready to go PirateBox with potentially some really cool files. And I'll put all of the files shared on each one on all of them (space allowing).

I'd like to build at least two more. We can do this a couple of ways:

1. You tell me how you want it. You tell me which router, USB size, etc. I'll buy it, I'll build it, have it set up the duration of one of the events (I know people at all the events) then I send it to you when the event is over. You'll just pay me back as soon as I get the parts since I don't have a lot of money to front this until after the event (Bitcoins preferred). I can guide you through what you need to choose from if you're unfamiliar.

2. Similar to above, but I'll just pick the set up (Will probably either be a WR703N router or the MR3040 with 8GB jump drive). I'm familiar with the WR703N, but the MR3040 has an internal battery. The MR3040 is also more expensive.

3. You buy the parts, send them to me, I'll set it up, have it run at an event, and you just pay shipping.

4. Any combination of the three.

These things are awesome, and I'm really looking forward to running at least mine at the events. If trust is an issue, you can look me up in the honest traders thread. I've just started using OTC, so I only have one rating there. BUT, it is positive.

Let me know if you're interested. At the very least, you'll have a cool PirateBox. At the most, your PirateBox will have been a significant tool in the fight for freedom.

Oh, also, if you already have a PirateBox and want to have it used at the events, send it to me and I'll send it back.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 02:38:15 AM

If you're gonna make a pirate box, use these bad boys:
http://3ja-gifts.com/Product.html

Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 02:49:21 AM

If you're gonna make a pirate box, use these bad boys:
http://3ja-gifts.com/Product.html

Sponsor it, and I'll make it happen. I probably won't have it set up like that at the events, because it's too big and suspicious, but I'll box it up and ship it to you.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 05:11:26 AM

are you giving these way or selling them?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 05:31:28 AM

are you giving these way or selling them?

I guess you could say I'm selling them at cost. I want to have them at several events that are happening simultaneously, so what I'm asking is that you buy the stuff or have me buy the stuff and pay me back. Then I have the PirateBoxes at the events. Afterwards, I send you the PirateBox that you had built with the files that were shared on it.

An event like the RNC is huge, and I think I could get one inside as well as have one outside. In addition, I'd like to have one at Paul Festival and Freedom fest, which are all happening about the same time. I'd like to see people be able to share files and communicate, but I don't have the long term need for or money to afford multiple PirateBoxes.

Also, if you have any files you think I should share, let me know. There will be some Bitcoin related things going on there, so some good Bitcoin files might be neat to have.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 05:43:39 AM

If you don't know what a PirateBox is, read about it here.

Here's some info from The Free Network Foundation which deployed this suitcase-based "Freedom Tower":

- http://www.commons.freenetworkfoundation.org/?title=MayFirst2012NYCCrateDeployment

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 05:52:03 AM

That's really cool. Also kind of complicated. I'm sure it's a lot more effective, but in this case I'd like something that is as easy to carry as a cellphone. The one I've built now has really decent range, especially if it's wide open and up higher. But it's also small enough that I can put it in my pocket. I like where they're going with that though.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 06:04:54 AM

How much for the cheapest one?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 12:30:07 PM

The most basic one is a TP-Link WR703N router (29.97) and an 8gb USB drive (around 7 dollars). So rounded up, 37 dollars plus whatever it costs to ship it to you. This one has to be plugged in or you have to have a battery pack. If you want one that's portable, the TP Link MR3040 has an internal battery and is about the size of an iPhone.  It costs 50 dollars plus 7 for the 8gb USB. That one is cool because its self contained and portable. The battery is supposed to last 4-6 hours.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 04:06:10 PM

The most basic one is a TP-Link WR703N router (29.97) and an 8gb USB drive (around 7 dollars). So rounded up, 37 dollars plus whatever it costs to ship it to you. This one has to be plugged in or you have to have a battery pack. If you want one that's portable, the TP Link MR3040 has an internal battery and is about the size of an iPhone.  It costs 50 dollars plus 7 for the 8gb USB. That one is cool because its self contained and portable. The battery is supposed to last 4-6 hours.
My father has been Constantly telling me "go build a DYI pirate box for me so i can---" so im thinking of just buying one... And your prices are really nice, Considering that it's all assembled, functional, and i just need to "plug and play" with it...

I'll speak with him, Please post some details about one of the Portable ones, My father is looking for LongRange and decent battery power (4.5-8hrs time) of active "full load" usage.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:58:10 AM

My father has been Constantly telling me "go build a DYI pirate box for me so i can---" so im thinking of just buying one... And your prices are really nice, Considering that it's all assembled, functional, and i just need to "plug and play" with it...

I'll speak with him, Please post some details about one of the Portable ones, My father is looking for LongRange and decent battery power (4.5-8hrs time) of active "full load" usage.

The most portable one is the TP-Link MR3040. I haven't personally worked with it, but it looks about the same to set it up and it's only about as big as an iphone. It looks like the cost on it is about $54 with the shipping to me, and then of course the jump drive (an 8gb is about 7 dollars). I'm just going by Amazon prices, because that's where I'll be getting everything and just passing on the prices. Unless you find something cheaper. The only problem with this one is that, according to the manufacturer, the battery lasts "up to 4 hours." However, you could get something like this to get a few more hours out of it. I don't know what kind of range this has. I suspect it's about the same as the router I have, which is very good when you consider its size. I was in a store and had my PirateBox on in a cigar box in my car across the parking lot and I was still getting two bars signal. So in wide open spaces, I would say you could get a couple hundred meters range. But even inside, my little router will cover the whole house.

The router I have is about half the price. It's under 30 dollars and is really small. But like I said, it has to be plugged in or you have to have a separate battery pack. Something like this would be great. I built my own battery pack that uses ten AAs. It should last a couple days, assuming it's always on. There's a tutorial on how to build one. If I built it, it would be the only thing I couldn't do at cost, because it was just too much work.

So to simplify it, you would be good with an MR3040 router, 8GB USB, and extra solar battery pack. At cost, it comes out to about 89 dollars. Then whatever it costs to ship it to you. If you want to go cheaper, the WR703N (the one I have), with an 8GB USB, and extra solar battery pack (unless you just want to build your own), is about 65 dollars. Like I said, unless you can point me to lower prices. The WR703N definitely has good range. You can get better, but you'll lose the portability. So let me know.
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:54:27 AM

I can only offer this the next couple of days, let's say until the 14th. I'll be out of town later this month, and the parts can take a while to ship, so if anyone wants one, I want to make sure I have enough time to do it.
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 11:13:12 AM

I can only offer this the next couple of days, let's say until the 14th. I'll be out of town later this month, and the parts can take a while to ship, so if anyone wants one, I want to make sure I have enough time to do it.

I love the idea of these things, will see if anyone wants to co-sponsor with me though. Would they work just as well if shipped over to the UK/Europe?

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 04:39:19 PM

I love the idea of these things, will see if anyone wants to co-sponsor with me though. Would they work just as well if shipped over to the UK/Europe?

The only problem I could see would be in the power plug. But the good thing is that it has a USB which plugs into the power plug. So if you get the power plug part from the UK, you should be in business. Unless of course you just build a battery pack. Other than that, it should be good.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 09:20:48 AM

That suitcase looks like a bomb!

I like this stuff but I prefer the low tech deaddrop method of gluing a USB stick into a public place.

I'd like to see the Android method done into a single neat application, could work alright when plugged in. Might need a 1m solar charger to keep it decentralised though

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 07:09:50 PM

I had two takers, and I'll be building these and have them taken to the RNC later this month.
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 01:36:10 AM

Ready to go.
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 01:39:48 AM

Cool, have fun!

BurntSnow

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 01:42:50 AM

I have a Piratebox. Little things are fun. Useless as hell, though.

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
   ████     ███     ███   ██
 ███  ███     █████████████████
███     ███     ███           ██
 ███      ███     ██          ██
   ███      ██████████      ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

smart-ticket protocol for events
live product with market traction!
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 03:30:08 AM

I have a Piratebox. Little things are fun. Useless as hell, though.

I used to think so. Their current state is really limited. When they get meshing down, it might be a different story. But even as it stands, I think they serve several purposes. Or rather, I thought of a couple uses which motivated me to complete it. The first thing that really got me going on it was learning that governments are willing and able to keep people from communicating through centralized means, such as cell service and the internet. With the PirateBox, while limited in area, people can communicate electronically and relay information over a distance anonymously, and to people who may need the information more than someone across the country. But the information will be disbursed to people who will be able to disseminate it further. A second use I discovered while running the PirateBox at a meeting. Our speaker was talking about a document he had that multiple people wanted. His solution was, "Give me your email addresses and I'll email it." But instead, he could've uploaded it to the PirateBox, and everyone could've retrieved it from there. In addition, Max Cho wrote about it as a social tool, which i thought was pretty interesting: http://maxcho.com/piratebox/.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: