Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:27:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did Roger Ver invest in Ripple?  (Read 2596 times)
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 02:18:19 AM

For those who are wondering,  I "invested" in Ripple,  before even the creators knew what it was going to be.
Jed had an amazing track record, and back in early 2012 he asked for some money to try to create something new and Bitcoin related.  Thus,  my investment in Ripple was born.  I don't really see it as a competitor to Bitcoin,  and I suspect there are at least 1,000 if not 10,000 developers working on Bitcoin projects for every 1 developer working on Ripple stuff.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:46:49 AM

For those who are wondering,  I "invested" in Ripple,  before even the creators knew what it was going to be.
Jed had an amazing track record, and back in early 2012 he asked for some money to try to create something new and Bitcoin related.  Thus,  my investment in Ripple was born.  I don't really see it as a competitor to Bitcoin,  and I suspect there are at least 1,000 if not 10,000 developers working on Bitcoin projects for every 1 developer working on Ripple stuff.

exactly.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
TruthBear (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 04:23:09 AM

Why? To profit, obviously. Ripple XRPs are pure fiat, even more than dollars.  (XRP may be created at will, whereas dollars must be borrowed into existence via various demand-creation mechanisms.) The potential for profit is enormous, if and only if one has access to the means of XRP creation. If Ripple succeeds and grows beyond a mere means of speculation, then they who have invested could easily profit. However, whereas Bitcoin and other blockchain-based cryptocurrencies are mostly trustless, Ripple is purely centralized. It has different properties than Bitcoin and comparing Ripple to Bitcoin or even dollars or euros is an apples to oranges comparison. Further, XRP is not a currency or commodity, per se; they exist as a means to facilitate the Ripple network, much as postage stamps exist to facilitate postal delivery. Being "pre-mined" and fiat, they also exist as a means to enrich the Ripple creators.

This easily takes the cake for being the dumbest response in 2015 so far. Could you be more wrong? Do you even know what Ripple or XRP's are?
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 05:59:19 AM

diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, diversify, survive, and profit.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 09:31:02 AM

I don't really see it as a competitor to Bitcoin,

Ripple provides a unique form of gateways from Bitcoin to fiat and other assets.  Thus it is complementary to Bitcoin.   Now I suppose you could argue that XRPs compete against Bitcoin in that those investments might have gone towards Bitcoin instead (i.e., displacement) but that's a pretty weak argument -- they might have gone to gold, silver, NASDAQ, etc.,  too.

Disclaimer: Holds no XRPs and haven't since I sold the freebie handout ones given out to all BitcoinTalk users.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

TruthBear (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 11:07:46 AM

Ripple allows BTC to transact in 2-5 seconds. Why would you hate on the system? It is HELPING bitcoin, since it is old and outdated (which people are realizing).
dregos

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 11:13:52 AM

Have I been lied to? Apparently Ripple was a scam, yet BITCOIN JESUS invests into it. The Holey Messiah of BITCOIN invests into Ripple!??!!

https://rogerver.com/

Now I have missed the boat on ANOTHER crypto while smart people moved into Ripple already. I guess I go down with this sinking bitcoin ship Sad

Lesson learned.

you've not missed the boat.. BTC is dragging all altcoins down and with them XRP's to. By my estimation rock bottom for XRP will be at, no less then, 0.01$... so January is a good time to start buying XRP's cheap.

And to answer your question.. .I guess because Ripple with its currency XRP isn't a scam after all Smiley the fact that those few Bitcoin fanatics, that were screaming scam, scam, scam, are not to be heard anymore, proves it also Smiley
TruthBear (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 11:20:08 AM

Did you receive XRP as part of the deal or equity in RippleLabs? Do you hold any XRP?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: