Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:28:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Turning off miners  (Read 36347 times)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:34:48 AM

A bunch of S3s all stacked together will be bothersome. Best to keep them in a separate room.

Regards,
°.°°°°°°°° a.k.a 108

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
djroadking

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 01:08:10 AM

Currently have my S2 in the room next to mine and actually its not even noticeable. If you had multiple S2's (or S3's) then yeah... I could see how it could be bothersome. I do have a BFL SC 60 and umm... The S2 is a lot less noticeable thanks to there not being a whine sound.

<a href="http://moonbit.co.in/?ref=c5f9adca1f79">MoonBit - The Bitcoin Faucet When You Decide When To Claim</a>
siampumpkin

Activity: 420
Merit: 260

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 10:39:22 AM

With the new increase in difficulty and the super low price I think it is time to shut down my S3+ again. I hope the price recovers but I don't think it will.

Buy a Trezor and Protect all your Crypto Currencies from hackers.
If I was helpful please tip me BTC: 3Bt4E78XjcEhCLEQUB6R1ujiQG58DXaazg  ETH: 0xc6541E163A7C513580f4C1897297452c71b44909
mitus-2

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:03:28 AM

The difficulty increase combined with the price drop has me turning off another batch of miners. How about you?

sorry to hear that. BTC will acquire value if it's constantly backed up by miners and nodes.
SargeR33

Activity: 112

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:21:01 AM

I've only been renting power. Too expensive to run @ current price.

https://blockchain.info/pools

Look how much the Unknown slice has grown. It used to be tiny. Difficulty going up another 6%. It would appear there are huge private setups running.

ahmi

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:35:14 PM

Its not a good thing to turn off miners.....because it is my earning source Smiley Grin
gkahr78

Activity: 32

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 02:43:47 PM

Look how much the Unknown slice has grown. It used to be tiny. Difficulty going up another 6%. It would appear there are huge private setups running.

Yeah, it is this kind of industrial mining that finally drives me away from BTC  Angry

Having home miners was one part of BTC that I enjoyed. All over for months now. The other part was being part of a new and more democratic way of payment. That was probably naive but I nonetheless did appreciate it. For a while now bitcoin just feels like greedy mafia business and third world money making machine. For the mafia part: not only do asic producers try to rip you off but also cloud miners and payment exchanges. And for the third world: throw coal in on the one side and feed btc miners on the other side; let's not talk about ecological consequences.

From my GPU times till now bitcoin has turned from hobbiest enjoying themselves into a twisted Lovecraft version modern currencies. Two years ago I would encourage people to try bitcoins, try mining and try being part of the community. But nowadays I would say stay away. There is nothing (positive) to experience anymore. Rip off and industrial mining await you  Undecided I mean I actually think it is fair to pay a few percentage points when using paypal and not having to deal with all that bitcoin hassle.

I think now is time for me to also turn off my bitcoin node I've been running since my miners were turned off. It just makes no sense to give anything back anymore.  Cry
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 03:18:54 PM

With the new increase in difficulty and the super low price I think it is time to shut down my S3+ again. I hope the price recovers but I don't think it will.

I took a couple S3's that have been replaced with SP20's and decided to swap out the fans for silent ones, and downclock two of them to 150mhz doing ~300GH/s each @ ~242W.

Kinda sucks that the efficiency doesn't scale better on the S3's as you clock them lower Sad Was a bit disappointed to see that.
jwcastle

Activity: 117

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 03:32:00 AM

I'm guessing this is why the difficulty has been going up and down the last few adjustments.

Some people (and perhaps farms) are shutting down. Then when they see the difficulty adjust slightly lower, they power up again. Then the next adjustment goes up slightly. Just back and forth until they decide to get out of the business entirely.

BitcoinEval.com - Evaluate your Bitcoin earnings
CPR
Furio
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:50:15 AM

Look how much the Unknown slice has grown. It used to be tiny. Difficulty going up another 6%. It would appear there are huge private setups r
unning.

Yeah, it is this kind of industrial mining that finally drives me away from BTC  Angry

Having home miners was one part of BTC that I enjoyed. All over for months now. The other part was being part of a new and more democratic way of payment. That was probably naive but I nonetheless did appreciate it. For a while now bitcoin just feels like greedy mafia business and third world money making machine. For the mafia part: not only do asic producers try to rip you off but also cloud miners and payment exchanges. And for the third world: throw coal in on the one side and feed btc miners on the other side; let's not talk about ecological consequences.

From my GPU times till now bitcoin has turned from hobbiest enjoying themselves into a twisted Lovecraft version modern currencies. Two years ago I would encourage people to try bitcoins, try mining and try being part of the community. But nowadays I would say stay away. There is nothing (positive) to experience anymore. Rip off and industrial mining await you  Undecided I mean I actually think it is fair to pay a few percentage points when using paypal and not having to deal with all that bitcoin hassle.

I think now is time for me to also turn off my bitcoin node I've been running since my miners were turned off. It just makes no sense to give anything back anymore.  Cry

This isn't any different in fiat, we get ripped of every day, apple, google, facebook etc etc

siampumpkin

Activity: 420
Merit: 260

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:05:40 AM

The difficulty increase combined with the price drop has me turning off another batch of miners. How about you?

sorry to hear that. BTC will acquire value if it's constantly backed up by miners and nodes.

I don't think it adds value if the cost of electricity surpasses the value of the BTC mined. I actually think it decreases BTC's value overall if it is just wasting resources and money.

Buy a Trezor and Protect all your Crypto Currencies from hackers.
If I was helpful please tip me BTC: 3Bt4E78XjcEhCLEQUB6R1ujiQG58DXaazg  ETH: 0xc6541E163A7C513580f4C1897297452c71b44909
SFMiner

Activity: 170

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 06:30:28 PM

I just shut down some KNCMiners that have been profitable for the past 14 months, and actually managed a positive ROI on those I received in November 2013.  All of my S2s and S3s ROI'd as well. 

I sold all 20 of my S3s, and upgraded to 6 X S5s, which I plan to run in my apartment until they're insanely unprofitable (or until summer hits, and I can't justify them anymore).  I'm not sure if they'll ever ROI, but if the hash rate continues its plateau, then there's a good chance of ROI (eventually).

They make great space heaters, and I definitely prefer large power bills when they're offset by BTC earnings vs. just paying for electrical heating.  It would be amazing if they could last 2 winters.

I reinvested some of my profit into Umisoo-hosted miners, and I've also been testing out some cloud mining contracts for a few months now.

So although I'm reducing my overall at-home hash rate, I'm adding a bit of cloud mining to offset the reduction - assuming that all of the companies are actually mining, and aren't ponzi schemes like PBMining!
Kyle1836

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 11:42:09 PM

Well, I am pretty sure I have a great scenario for Bitcoin mining since I don't pay for electric. All of my bills are included in a one month price, which is fairly cheap, as well... I have a Rockminer R-Box (older model) that mines at 30-34Gh/s overclocked a little.

valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 03:23:31 AM

Well, I am pretty sure I have a great scenario for Bitcoin mining since I don't pay for electric. All of my bills are included in a one month price, which is fairly cheap, as well... I have a Rockminer R-Box (older model) that mines at 30-34Gh/s overclocked a little.

Time to buy real miner! S5 or SP20 or Avalon4  Grin

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Furio
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 08:59:03 AM

Time to buy real miner! S5 or SP20 or Avalon4  Grin

Yeah, like 10 of them Wink I would have made an server room with 3 AC's, broem broem Grin

picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 10:02:48 AM

Did you turn them back on?
Syke (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:10:05 AM

Did you turn them back on?

Yeah, I can justify them back on for a bit for some winter heating. This year-and-a-half price slump is getting annoying. I'm ready for the next moon trip.

Buy & Hold
NoahWL1

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 07:09:28 PM

The only reason I'm keeping my miners on right now is because I don't have to worry about power and it's winter.  If summer hits and Bitcoin's price hasn't skyrocketed, these things will become nothing but novelty toys packed away in my closet.
MarkMJ

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

one for one and 1 2 3

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 01:30:54 PM

Hello,

GPUs are good but only if you know how to use them,this is my opinion.

I'm RED and that's GOOD, i will never be GREEN and that's not BAD! there's no one i'd rather be than me.
DEV for cryptocurrency but I HATE forks
SargeR33

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 11:15:02 AM

Cheap power and that is all you run? If my power was flat rate, one fee every quarter, I would be smashing it. At this point in time, if you bought say 3 S5 miners and ran them I still think you could make a couple BTC and sell the miners without a loss. You currently cannot buy S5 miners from Bitmain but you can buy them second hand for $100 more. Pretty confident there are large sales of Antminers straight from Bitmain for people to resell at a higher price once Bitmain is out.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: