Print  
Author Topic: Btc-PGP  (Read 523 times)
zwischenzug (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 07:12:22 PM

https://royalfork.github.io/btc-pgp

Because email encryption has been on the minds of many during the past year and a half, and GPG has recently released a “modern” version of their email encryption software supporting elliptic curve cryptography, I thought it would be fun to combine PGP encrypted email with the bitcoin blockchain.

A couple things which I think are cool about this idea:
  • Public key exchange has been the achilles heel of many decentralized communications systems. Using the bitcoin blockchain as a decentralized public key server largely solves this problem (and it’s completely invisible to end users).
  • Btc-PGP combines payment and messaging into a single communications channel. This could simplify marketplaces; a single email/transaction could order a product, specify a shipping address, include payment, and serve as it’s own receipt.
  • Email could be sent with micropayments in an attempt to fight spam. Everyone who messages you must pay $.05. When replying, you send the micropayment back….or something like that (yes, I’m aware that fighting spam is hard).

If you’re interested in giving it a try, the following app will set you up with a testnet address and let you encrypt, decrypt, send, and receive PGP messages on the blockchain. Message me at: “mnpPDMjPFWhdzCHmfGKVbA9ohLJF2b2Q7N” and let me know what you think.

Technical points:
  • All encryption is done in the browser with the bitcoinjs and openpgpjs libs. 
  • Blockchain data comes from the Chain.com API.  Encrypted messages are hosted as github gists.  I run my own testnet faucet and url shortening services.  All of these things can easily be swapped out.
  • secp254k1 is not an official PGP-ECC curve, so these messages will not work with GPG 2.1 (unless you build your own libgcrypt, and build from a special GPG 2.1 branch)
  • The same testnet private key is responsible for both ecdsa (for signing bitcoin txns) and ecdh (for encryption/decryption).  I understand that this is not best practice, but it doesn't break security (giant disclaimer: I am not a cryptographer, that's why this is on testnet).
  • This system relies on address reuse, which is not ideal.  Haven't really thought into whether this could work with BIP32....anyone know if that would be possible?
  • OP_RETURN outputs are used for transport, which means sender/receiver pairs are public.  It would be cool to use the shiny new "Dark Mail Transport Protocol" to get around this.

Any thoughts, questions, or criticisms will be gratefully received.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: