Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:24:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoinqt doesn't add transaction fee even if it is set in Settings?  (Read 869 times)
rigrenter (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 09:21:48 AM

Hi,

I'm using bitcoinqt 0.9.3 windows and I have "0.00010000" under "Pay transaction fee". Yet still I see some transactions are sent without fees (and thus are taking extremely long to get confirmed). How is this possible? Is this a bug?

And another questions: do bitcoin transactions ever expire? If they have 0 confirmations in a particular time period?
rigrenter (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:07:53 PM

Bump. Can anyone confirm that this is a bug in bitcoinqt?
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8421

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 09:15:07 PM

Not enough info provided. I don't believe that there is any way for it to create a transaction with a fee per KB less than you've specified.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 12:48:27 AM

Hi,

I'm using bitcoinqt 0.9.3 windows and I have "0.00010000" under "Pay transaction fee". Yet still I see some transactions are sent without fees (and thus are taking extremely long to get confirmed).

Are you sure?  Can you provide an example of a transaction that you sent from your Bitcoin Core wallet?

How is this possible? Is this a bug?

Possibly, but I haven't experienced it yet.

And another questions: do bitcoin transactions ever expire?

No, but they can become invalid if a different transaction is confirmed that spends any of the same inputs.

If they have 0 confirmations in a particular time period?

Peers (and miners, and mining pools) can drop your transaction from their memory after a while if it doesn't get confirmed.  You can always re-broadcast it if that happens.  I think Bitcoin Core automatically re-broadcasts any unconfirmed transactions occasionally.
rigrenter (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:24:14 AM

Not enough info provided. I don't believe that there is any way for it to create a transaction with a fee per KB less than you've specified.

Sorry, now I understand that the setting in bitcoinqt under "Pay transaction fee" is per kB.

The issues with those transactions are that they are just a bit below 1 kB (one is 994 and one is 972 kB - they are finally confirmed now, after almost 3 days). So this is why bitcoinqt didn't add any fee. This is somehow annoying because if I understand correctly there is absolutely no way to add a transaction fee to a transaction that is smaller then 1 kB? There are several cases that I would want to do this, so why doesn't bitcoinqt let me do this?

Miners (pools) are now all setting their pools to only accept transactions with fees, this means that there will be lots of unconfirmed transactions for a long period of time - especially with lower prices of Bitcoin when the majority of pools and miners won't accept transactions without fees. Bitcoin is useless if I send a transaction and it takes 1 week to confirm it.

At lease what I would expect is to get another checbox with "Pay transaction fee for transactions, smaller then 1 kB".

Will this change in 0.10? I understand that the method of fee calculation will be change in bitcoinqt in version 0.10...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:05:11 PM

No that still is not correct.   Bitcoin QT rounds up to the next full kb so the min is always 1 KB.   Can you provide the tx id?   If you really did create the txn using bitcoin QT AND you have a fee amount set AND it was created with no fee then that would be a bug.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: