Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:26:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost OSX disk  (Read 1643 times)
Awalt541 (OP)

Activity: 438
Merit: 256

Redot.com - Trade Like a Pro, Earn 70% of Referral

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 03:11:25 AM

Heres whats up, I have a Macbook I am trying to reformat and get a clean install of OSX.

The problem I have is that I seem to have lost my original OSX disk but I have Snow Leopard is it possible to format using that disk or do I need the OSX disk in order to do that?

I would check this myself but I am out of town at the moment.
Thanks,
Andrew

.Redot.com.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.• Lowest Trading Fees.
.• Commission Rebates..
.• 70% for Referrals.
.• Top Technology..
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.$3,000,000 BOUNTY.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 03:15:49 AM

Snow Leopard is OSX.  You're good to go.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Awalt541 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 04:30:33 AM

sweet thanks  Grin

.Redot.com.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.• Lowest Trading Fees.
.• Commission Rebates..
.• 70% for Referrals.
.• Top Technology..
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.$3,000,000 BOUNTY.
Mashrock

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 08:36:34 AM

Once you get it going, there are plenty of torrents of mountain lion on the web. (10.7)

you can install them onto a usb stick and reinstall from there. fairly easy process to do. google it if you must.. much info out there as its the way you need to go if your on a macbook air..

but remember back up your wallet.dat lol..
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 10:40:51 AM

If in doubt,you should burn an OSX disc/make it a bootable USB drive (after downloading the Snow Leopard disc torrent) before reinstalling as you can reformat the HDD but you'll need to install it again from a disc.Once you manage to reinstall Snow Leopard/OSX,you can get all your stuff back if you backed up with time machine before hand.This restores everything (including your wallet.dat).If you've used another backup tool,then this could take time.In any case good luck with reinstalling OSX on your MBP.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 03:01:03 PM

Call apple and order a replacement DVD. It won't cost you much. Just get one from one or two releases prior to this current release and you are good to go!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Awalt541 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 03:29:38 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, now a bit off the trail.. Would it be worth it to replace the battery if I am trying to sell it? Currently the battery flat does not work so I have to keep it plugged in but I don't want to shell out 100$ for a battery and not get the return if I sell it.

.Redot.com.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.• Lowest Trading Fees.
.• Commission Rebates..
.• 70% for Referrals.
.• Top Technology..
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.$3,000,000 BOUNTY.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 03:57:36 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, now a bit off the trail.. Would it be worth it to replace the battery if I am trying to sell it? Currently the battery flat does not work so I have to keep it plugged in but I don't want to shell out 100$ for a battery and not get the return if I sell it.

It is like selling a car. Would you rather buy a used car that is dirty and filthy or one that is pristine? Say the price is $1000 for the car. Shelling out $200 for a detail job could be worth all the difference!

Think of it this way. You are selling a laptop. Someone wants to buy a laptop. Would you rather buy a laptop and need to buy a battery and maybe a few other options after or buy one and be able to use it out of the box?

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Revalin

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:28:11 PM

I suggest a non-OEM battery.  Anker (good, cheap, laptopmate_usa @ebay) and Lenmar (better, less cheap) have both treated me well.

Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
unclemantis

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:34:54 PM

I suggest a non-OEM battery.  Anker (good, cheap, laptopmate_usa @ebay) and Lenmar (better, less cheap) have both treated me well.

I agree. You can get them dirt cheap. They may or may not hold more of a charge than the origional but you can't beat a working battery that will help sell your laptop for the price!

Revalin post your firstbits equvilent of your public key. It is being cut off in your profile txt Smiley

Revalin

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:44:29 PM

post your firstbits equvilent of your public key. It is being cut off in your profile txt Smiley

It still cuts and pastes.  Smiley

Luceo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 10:39:00 AM

Once you get it going, there are plenty of torrents of mountain lion on the web. (10.7)

you can install them onto a usb stick and reinstall from there. fairly easy process to do. google it if you must.. much info out there as its the way you need to go if your on a macbook air..

but remember back up your wallet.dat lol..

You might have wanted to mention that it's illegal to download these torrents even if you own a license because you are uploading the files to other people who may not own the license.

My suggestion would be to go to an Apple store and just buy a copy of the latest OSX. Avoids all legal issues and you'll get an upgrade too.

Phraust

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 11:18:24 AM

Did you need snow leopard, or were you looking for lion?

You can download Lion from the app store (something like $20) and remove the image to make your own install usb or dvd if you needed to (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20080989-263/how-to-create-an-os-x-lion-installation-disc/.

I might still have the disc lying around for snow leopard, I could try to dig it up and mail it if you really needed it.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 04:16:01 PM

My suggestion would be to go to an Apple store and just buy a copy of the latest OSX. Avoids all legal issues and you'll get an upgrade too.
That is impossible they don't sell CDs with the OS on it anymore so yea not possible
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: