Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:04:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: buybitcoin.com I lol'd hard  (Read 5071 times)
davout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 03:06:33 PM

The founder of BuyBitcoin.com, Bruce Wagner, is the most famous person in the Bitcoin world, and is considered to be an expert on Bitcoin, and the Bitcoin Economy.

also

Our fee for Instant Bitcoin Purchase is only 21.49% of the total amount you send.

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 03:13:13 PM

"Proudly powered by WordPress"

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
bitclown

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 03:52:49 PM

Why should I trust BuyBitcoin.com?

Because BuyBitcoin.com has a reputation you can trust.

Bruce Wagner, the founder of BuyBitcoin.com, is the most famous person in the Bitcoin world.
Sigh... Our lord and savior is back.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 03:57:02 PM

Well, I don't know what the community thinks, but I'm just putting this info out here:

If you click on 'Sites That Accept Bitcoin' on bitcoin.org, you are directed to

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade

The first thing you see is then "1 Getting started".

Naturally a lot of people will click on this.

This gives a section reading:

Code:
Getting started

BitcoinMe.com 'Bitcoin for Dummies', an easy hand-holding guide to Bitcoin for beginners and non-technical users.

Now, if we click on BitcoinMe.com, we get to a site with bitcoin information. Now if we click on 'Buy' at the horisontal menu at the top we are led to a page residing at BitcoinMe.com (http://bitcoinme.com/index.php/buy/), which advertises BuyBitcoin.com and only that site.

Obviously this is a clever(?) way of getting first in the line, and not listing BuyBitcoin.com at the fixed rate listing as most bitcoin sellers do (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Fixed_rate).

The ethics aside, if buyers don't receive their bitcoins, is this what we want newcomers to experience when first entering bitcoin?

I haven't heard much complaints about buybitcoin.com before, but if there are people who don't get the bitcoins they ordered, perhaps the listing should be removed from the wiki, or at least put a warning alongside it?

Also, when claiming not to have received bitcoins ordered, there should be some kind of evidence presented (?), clearly I know about Bruce's history, but clearly there should be some process to ensure hastily decisions are not made.

What do you all think ? Do we as a community have a responsibility to ensure that newcomers are not scammed, or should all newcomers be on their own ?

And how would we separate false accusations from the correct ones ? There's been a lot of fuss about Bruce on the bitcointalk.org forum previously, so he probably have a lot of enemies.

Perhaps there should be some sort of rule that a site listed first in the wiki should not participating in actual trade of bitcoins, but merely be a informational site ?

As bitcoin.org is a popular site, the wiki brings a lot of traffic to the sites listed there, and it doesn't hurt to be at the very top of that list I reckon.

Opinions ?

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:52:18 AM

Wow 21%?HuhHuhHuhHuh

"You can type in the number of Bitcoins you need… and instantly see how many dollars you need.  Or, type in the number of dollars you want to spend… and instantly see how many Bitcoins you’ll get.

Our fee for Instant Bitcoin Purchase is only 21.49% of the total amount you send.  So multiply the dollar amount you send… times 0.7851  …to get the number of dollars worth of Bitcoins you will receive.  In other words, if you send $100, you will receive $78.51 worth of Bitcoins (as displayed in the Bitcoin Value Calculator).

We absolutely guarantee that we have the most Excellent Personal Customer Service, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year…  via telephone, text message, and email."

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 03:05:08 AM

http://bitcoinceo.com

bitcoinme.com is not affiliated with bitcoin.me  Smiley

redbeans2012

Activity: 887

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:33:12 AM

Don't forget the 7 day guarantee.  Well worth the 21% fee.

Although, we guarantee to deliver your Bitcoins within 7 days of receiving your money, we do our very best to get them to you within only a few moments…
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 03:46:26 AM

Man I feel like a sucker now.

We offer same day sales at 0% over MtGox last (yesterday we were actually selling at 1.25% under MtGox price).  Little did I know you could float your customers funds for 7 days and charge them 21% markup for the privilege. 

I wonder if the Bruce supporters will find some way to defend him on this scamfest too?
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 12:52:15 PM

Bruce supporters

Those still exist?  Cheesy

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 01:43:21 PM

Hopefully not.  I remember at one point they were almost fanatical in their support.  I considered sockpuppets but honest I don't think Bruce is that smart. 
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:03:02 PM

Well, I am not some Bruce fan, but he at least has made something to watch. Of course, it was not journalism, only entertainment.
What do we have nowadays?
Matthew started bittalk.tv, but has lost interest in doing this in the meantime. Or maybe he is only a few months late...
So nothing else.
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:07:17 PM

Hopefully not.  I remember at one point they were almost fanatical in their support.  I considered sockpuppets but honest I don't think Bruce is that smart. 

Oh, Bruce knows how to work sockpuppets!

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:08:09 PM

Oh, Bruce knows how to work sockpuppets!

Yeah this kind maybe:

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:09:46 PM

bitcoinme.com is not affiliated with bitcoin.me  Smiley

But I thought Zou THong is bitcoin CEO  Huh

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 05:14:30 PM

You may all laugh at Bruce Wagner, but he is still scamming around and bringing bad publicity to Bitcoin. Once (if ever) Bitcoin becomes widely adopted, this will be the same as bringing bad publicity to cash - irrelevant - but right now it can really do damage.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 04:06:39 AM

Bruce Wanger is irrelevent.

dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 09:24:17 AM

LOL he is currently selling coins at $17.81 each, which is around a 60% markup.

He has a whole page of sock testimonials too.  I was disappointed that a Ctrl-F for "Tod" or "Tom" turned up nothing.

I'm not linking anything so I don't help his SEO, of course.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 11:37:42 AM

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 12:14:50 PM

When searching for 'bitcoin' in google, his ads come up, they promise to buy bitcoins through VISA and Mastercard,

At least it came up yesterday, when googling on my Android device. But before you can use your card to purchase those coins, you need to convert it to cash trough some 3rd party service and transfer it to your bank account, then withdraw it as 'green dollars' and send it to him.

klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 07:35:48 PM

www.letsbuyit.com (kim dotcom)

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: