Counterparty or NXT Asset - 13 (9.8%)
Domain Name - 4 (3%)
Precious metals - 16 (12.1%)
bitcointalk account - 9 (6.8%)
miner accounts - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 69

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] What is the best loan collateral ?  (Read 1606 times)
abstream (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 03:49:17 PM

Interested in p2p lending, supporting the "collateral or no loan" term, I think it will beneficial for all of us to have some common sense on the topic.
I have added some alt coins that seems to be liquid and some common digital assets - please comment if you think that something needs to be added.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dogedigital
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:03:39 PM

I believe DogeCoin is the most stable and easiest to liquidate.

Bitcointalk accounts above Full Member have been pretty easy to turn around as well with all the lucrative signature campaigns.

justinetime

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:11:23 PM

I would say all altcoins with stable price.
I voted for doge, ripple, and NXT.
thriftshopping

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:20:53 PM

Bitcointalk accounts above Full Member have been pretty easy to turn around as well with all the lucrative signature campaigns.
Who do you sell the accounts to? I haven't seen any kind of sales thread. What is the average price that you generally sell them for.

Do you verify ownership prior to accepting the accounts as collateral?
abstream (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:30:37 PM

Dogecoin is the 5th more liquid asset according to http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/volume/24-hour/
I usually do follow coinmarketcap when i want to see the market capitalization of a currency and the trade volume.

Bitcoin accounts, hmm it would be hard to put a value against it...i guess a free market would be able to do that but it still won't be liquid.
Signature campaigns sounds interesting though!

abstream (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:32:39 PM

Agree, it is the same thing with domain names, and what bothers me more is the actual transfer - altcoins would be preferred asset as you can transfer it automatically(wallet transaction), this is good for business purposes.

Who do you sell the accounts to? I haven't seen any kind of sales thread. What is the average price that you generally sell them for.

abstream (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:35:08 PM

One of my favourite coins... good vote! It will be also interesting to hear what would be the % of collateral that you expect against every pledge.
Let's say that borrowers have doge,ripple,NXT - what would be your requirements against every coin..for example an industry standard for borrower is to get 50% of the collateral value but that shall differ per asset isn't it?

I would say all altcoins with stable price.
I voted for doge, ripple, and NXT.
thriftshopping

Activity: 137

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:56:09 PM

If you can get a very specific signed message from the prior owner and the address signing the message can be reasonably linked to the account then ownership should not be put into question.

Your point about domain names is valid, however I would think it would be very difficult to damage the reputation of a domain just because it was "stolen" as there is really no central authority that manages all domain names.

I would think altcoins would be best to use as collateral, however there are many people that are not into altcoins or do not want to use the loan for trading which is what using an altcoin is designed to do
Agree, it is the same thing with domain names, and what bothers me more is the actual transfer - altcoins would be preferred asset as you can transfer it automatically(wallet transaction), this is good for business purposes.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:59:59 PM

You can't say which is the best collateral. It depends on the lender, they are the ones who decide if the collateral is adequate enough. The things you listed are mostly for low amounts. When we are talking large amounts it could be anything from cars to laptops.

Really, any collateral which the lender can sell right away at the same amount loaned or more.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 08:09:01 PM

I would say that miner accounts are probably the worse in the above list. The majority of cloud mining companies are scams and you never know if the person offering it as collateral is part of the scam.

I think NXT assets rank very high up there in terms of risk for similar reasons, although if you are more familiar with the NXT marketplace this may not be the case
CanadaBits

Activity: 126

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 09:44:16 PM

Id say dodgecoin seems to hold stable value at least with my experience. I also think loans are crazy anyway people always get scammed plus there's not much profit lending out .01 to someone give me a break who borrows 4 dollars from someone FML............

liondani

Activity: 97

Inch by Inch,Play by Play

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:59:06 PM

bitshares provides all kinds of bitAssets like bitGOLD, bitUSD, bitEUR, bitSILVER etc..
collaterized with 300% the value of bitshares!!!

Inch by Inch, Play by Play
Bitrated user: liondani.
waterpile

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:50:47 AM

Id say dodgecoin seems to hold stable value at least with my experience. I also think loans are crazy anyway people always get scammed plus there's not much profit lending out .01 to someone give me a break who borrows 4 dollars from someone FML............

not all lenders are getting scammed if you do some research about the lendee then your chances of getting not scammed will increase
michietn94
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 02:51:09 AM

For altcoin I choose doge & LTC
It's price is quite stable so it fits as collateral

and for bitcointalk account is legit as collateral. ( min  full member )  Smiley

FANSUNITE

█ █
███
███
███
 ▄
 ▀
███
███
███
███
█ █

█ █
███
███
███
 ▄
 ▀
███
███
███
███
█ █
Candystripes

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

***THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE***

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 03:47:24 AM

Where the hell is CLAM!?

---------------------------------
No longer under the possession of Candystripes.
Account is currently dormant.
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 08:57:30 AM

BitShares has stable BitAssets like BitUSD and BitGold.

These make the best collateral as you have a better idea what their value will be in the future.
The underlying crypto be it BitShares, Bitcoin or LTC is volatile. Therefore to use it as collateral you'd have to overcompensate which is a large unnecessary cost.

(LiteCoin for example has lost over 50% of it's value in two weeks making it a very poor collateral.)

You can see BitUSD maintains the value of dollar, is backed by an average of 300% collateral and pays 1% yield. It has no centralized counterparty risk, so it's very good collateral imo.

http://www.bitsharesblocks.com/assets/asset?id=USD

abstream (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 09:27:51 AM

A platform that can take collateral as a pledge against a loan can serve a great value for the crypto community.
No collateral, no loan rule shall be taken seriously, scammed lenders shall go in the past!
I am looking into all kinds of digital assets, interested in every sound technology(not ignorant to non-bitcoin techs).

I would have to look deeper into Bitshares, I can see there are many votes on it already and 2 of you already commented
on the Bitshare assets....i know that counterparty and NXT have assets as well it will be interested to dig into all this.

bitshares provides all kinds of bitAssets like bitGOLD, bitUSD, bitEUR, bitSILVER etc..
collaterized with 300% the value of bitshares!!!
abstream (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:41:55 PM

Where the hell is CLAM!?

The collateral should be liquid enough, I am not sure CLAM is?
In addition, the lender shall define the % of the loan that has to be pledged as collateral, in that case CLAM might be ok but maybe you would be able to get
20%-30% of the collateral value as a loan or whatever the free market says...
UberNifty

Activity: 168

AltcoinWarrior.com

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 01:15:06 AM

I think NXT assets rank very high up there in terms of risk for similar reasons, although if you are more familiar with the NXT marketplace this may not be the case

And that's the key right there... becoming familiar with the SAE: A truly underrated beast of a platform.

[Edit] Typos

"Remember, the blockchain is truth..."
abstream (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 08:23:49 AM

Agreed, I am myself quite comfortable with both NXT and NXT AE

how about asking for different % of collateral depending on the assets in the poll?
how would you rate them?

And that's the key right there... becoming familiar with the SAE: A truly underrated beast of a platform.

[Edit] Typos
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: