Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:15:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there logic to day trading bitcoin?  (Read 14380 times)
Tal1m0n (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:10:45 PM

I bought in at $100 btc and have strong belief in it climbing beyond the previous high of $266. Since then I've learned what the exchange sites are for and attempting to work out my own strategy for day trading to increase my coins before they become very expensive again.

What information do you go off of to predict whether the price will go up or down. The Buy and Sell Orders help give me some idea but you never know when somebody will sneak a massive transaction in at the last moment.

Perhaps I could cut my chances like; If it hits $110 I can sell half for that $10 profit in the hopes that the price drops so I can buy back in at $100-105, or if it continues to climb then I profit off the coin I kept and keep the money on hand for when another big price correction.

It'd be exciting if I could make money every day at this without risking getting left behind during the next build up where we were seeing a momentum of $10-15 a day. Every morning waking up and being like "Oh look my btc is worth $600 more than they were yesterday!".

Would it help if I picked up some "Day Trading For Dummy" books or does that not apply to the Bitcoin Market?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
checkers6676

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

buy low, sell high
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:18:32 PM

good luck to you.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:21:30 PM

I can't say my style is based off technicals anymore.  I have been watching the charts every single day since the middle of 2011.  I notice patterns.  I read the forums and get a general sense of how the community feels.  Then I wait for a bit of volatility and place trades and the high and low points I think it will hit.  Almost every time I gain BTC or USD (depending on what I want to hold/be long on at the time).  It may only be 2%, or it could be 20%.  Again, I just watch the charts for countless hours and look for patterns.  I don't look at any other market, I just focus on Bitcoin/USD so my judgement isn't clouded, as the other markets in the "real world" don't have the same patterns or traders.
Ares

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:38:54 PM

For Bitcoin, you're gonna want to follow the guidelines in the following chart:

jbord39

Activity: 41

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:30:22 PM

http://www.whereispepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Dinosaurs_Lasers.jpg

I can see a few bearish pennants including one Colpitt's oscillator about to break to e^(i*pi*t)*u(t)

Thanks for chart I have been trying to find that for a while.
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:42:44 PM

Perhaps I could cut my chances like; If it hits $110 I can sell half for that $10 profit in the hopes that the price drops so I can buy back in at $100-105, or if it continues to climb then I profit off the coin I kept and keep the money on hand for when another big price correction.

Go for it man Smiley  People who do this help stabilize BTC's price.

Just try not to become one of those troll-box guys on BTC_E who continually tries to scare everyone into selling and buying everything whenever it suits their personal portfolio.  

edit: LOL at pic above. That image should be recognized as the Mona Lisa equivalent for the 20th century.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 08:05:19 PM

http://www.whereispepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Dinosaurs_Lasers.jpg

I can see a few bearish pennants including one Colpitt's oscillator about to break to e^(i*pi*t)*u(t)

Thanks for chart I have been trying to find that for a while.

That's just -(1^t)*u(t)... I'm not sure what u(t) is here, but oscillating rapidly between negative and positive seems about right for bitcoin at this time.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
stoto

Activity: 47

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:09:02 PM

I have been trying the same. Since nothing is behind bitcoin the only thing that influence the price is the supply and demand which greatly influenced by the news.
So if you are catching on the fresh news, you could always farm in some big pips.

You can also go for lot of small trades, which can be done by selling/buying at the exact good point within an hour (or sometimes minutes).

I started developing a tool, which keeps me up-to-date on news and exchange rates, so i can react fast if i see an opportunity.
I opened it to public a few days ago, you can try it out:

http://bitcoin.stoto.net/

Keep in mind, that it's still in early stages and needs a lot of work.

You can read about it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208277.0
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 08:18:41 PM

I had no impetus whatsoever to learn anything about day-trading / investing until I discovered Bitcoin in June 2011 (right after the first "bubble" "burst") ...

I read this thread from start to finish:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60501.0

And now day-trading in conjunction with crypto mining is my full-time job :-)

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 08:26:59 PM

I had no impetus whatsoever to learn anything about day-trading / investing until I discovered Bitcoin in June 2011 (right after the first "bubble" "burst") ...

I read this thread from start to finish:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60501.0

And now day-trading in conjunction with crypto mining is my full-time job :-)

Great thread. Hard to believe BTC was trading for $5-7 a little over a year ago.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 12:04:08 AM

Logic: PEW PEW  Tongue

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 02:22:50 AM

buy low, sell high

This. Repeatedly.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 12:31:39 PM

I can't say my style is based off technicals anymore.  I have been watching the charts every single day since the middle of 2011.  I notice patterns.  I read the forums and get a general sense of how the community feels.  Then I wait for a bit of volatility and place trades and the high and low points I think it will hit.  Almost every time I gain BTC or USD (depending on what I want to hold/be long on at the time).  It may only be 2%, or it could be 20%.  Again, I just watch the charts for countless hours and look for patterns.  I don't look at any other market, I just focus on Bitcoin/USD so my judgement isn't clouded, as the other markets in the "real world" don't have the same patterns or traders.

Agreed with phorensic, there is definately a pattern to the market. I personally have traded massive volume on the bitcoin markets with great success. My advice as well as what is written above? Be careful and do not get complacent. It is very easy to get lost in all of the hype and FUD that is constantly thrown around on these forums especially.

Good luck and stay safe. If you do not have a huge appetite for risk then I would strongly suggest you just hold onto what you have.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 12:36:42 PM

Oh, and as for books, yes I would suggest you start reading as many trading books as you can... not just to learn the technical details about trading, but to learn the attitudes of the most successful traders.

Look up the following books/authors:

-Reminiscences of a stock operator
-Stock market wizard (theres 3 or 4 of these, all are good)
-Nassim Taleeb
-A handful of the new age social economic books out there (great lessons in the basics of supply and demand) i.e. Malcolm Gladwell, Freakonimcs etc...

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: