Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:09:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh boy - I think this is going to be big... Tether on Bitfinex  (Read 5827 times)
slacknation

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:29:58 PM

It looks like Tether is going to soon become operational on Bitfinex.  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tether-introduces-real-world-currency-160000085.html  This will allow people to use US$ and Euro as if it were cryptocurrency.  I've got a feeling this is going to be a first major Bitcoin2.0 type application.  Watch out!!!

I am concerned about the legality of it in different countries. Might be a lot of legal loops for them to jump through.

to get cash in and out, you will need to deposit/withdraw from tether's bank accounts, so the same KYC applies like withdrawing/despositing with bitfinex directly

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ronald98

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:45:19 PM

Has Tether paid the $million+ or whatever it costs for a US money transmitters licence?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 08:21:58 PM

Nope.  Just administration of the guarantee (the backing).  Everything else is decentralized.  The token still trades without interference from a central authority.  But unlike bitcoin which has nothing backing it, Tether will have a pot of cash stashed away (with an administrator - hopefully trusted.)  The admin won't be able to manipulate the token.  The high level of auditing will assure the backing is well cared for.

Are you retarded? "Nope"? The Dollar is just as decentralized as you proclaim this to be. The primary thing distinguishing this apart from bitcoin is completely centralized and you are claiming it's not? How do you do these mental gymnastics?
It's just another Mastercoin P&D scheme.
vach

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 08:26:04 PM

well i give it a tought and i think this adds nothing special to gov to worry about,
if they were about to prevent possibility of US or any fiat to be used without their watch they should stop bitcoin in the first place,
like what is forbidding me to buy some btc in A sell at B and have de facto my USD tranfered to the other end of the world...

this thing just makes sure you dont suffer any price change while you do the whole buy move sell thing...
i think i'll give it a shot
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 08:27:54 PM

Tether will not be as big as you think it is.

Tether is 1:1 usd.

What that means is its price cannot be less or more than $1 USD.

You won't be able to make any money off of Tether. Obviously, they won't let you mine Tether coins either.
The insiders will make money from Tether by buying it for pennies on the dollar and selling those Tether coins back to you for $1.

Would not this just be an external service that sends transnational data over the bitcoin network to prove that the transaction did occur? They would simply assign % currency of choice to 1T however what coin would be the reserve coin for the value of T?
vach

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 07:01:25 AM

btc and ripple those are only things worth looking at
sdersdf3

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 11:46:39 AM

Nope.  Just administration of the guarantee (the backing).  Everything else is decentralized.  The token still trades without interference from a central authority.  But unlike bitcoin which has nothing backing it, Tether will have a pot of cash stashed away (with an administrator - hopefully trusted....)

That's centralisation. Requires trusting a human(s). Admin runs away with the reserves and the tokens are worthless.
How is fiat reserve proof verified in a real-time, automated fashion in a way that isnt manipulatable? Humans can intervene with the reserve indicators, no?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 12:59:47 PM

Nope.  Just administration of the guarantee (the backing).  Everything else is decentralized.  The token still trades without interference from a central authority.  But unlike bitcoin which has nothing backing it, Tether will have a pot of cash stashed away (with an administrator - hopefully trusted....)

That's centralisation. Requires trusting a human(s). Admin runs away with the reserves and the tokens are worthless.
How is fiat reserve proof verified in a real-time, automated fashion in a way that isnt manipulatable? Humans can intervene with the reserve indicators, no?

Yeah but there's nothing wrong with it. If you trust them, they could be fine for whatever your business might be. As a business you always have a certain level of risk when dealing with other businesses, but at least you have legal recourse.

more or less retired.
udecker

Activity: 142
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 01:03:37 AM

Nope.  Just administration of the guarantee (the backing).  Everything else is decentralized.  The token still trades without interference from a central authority.  But unlike bitcoin which has nothing backing it, Tether will have a pot of cash stashed away (with an administrator - hopefully trusted....)

Yeah but there's nothing wrong with it. If you trust them, they could be fine for whatever your business might be. As a business you always have a certain level of risk when dealing with other businesses, but at least you have legal recourse.

Obviously the trust required will be minimized as much as is possible.  What would the community think about “decentralized audits” of the bank accounts, using a method of cryptographic signatures coming from the banks/vaults involved that can be third-party verified?

Craig

]
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 01:09:00 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2015, 02:54:14 AM by Bit_Happy

This seems like the U.S. feds saying "send us your dollars and bank balances and well replace them with a coloured coin which we own all of." Except its not sanctioned by the fed so probably causes all kinds of legal exposure. How long until the exchange gets raided and the reserve $$ confiscated? And how is this any better than just using ripple? (shudder).

Tether sounds much worse than "Liberty Dollars", and that founder ended up in very serious legal trouble.

udecker

Activity: 142
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 01:12:29 AM

This seems like the U.S. feds saying "send us your dollars and bank balances and well replace them with a coloured coin which we own all of." Except its not sanctioned by the fed so probably causes all kinds of legal exposure. How long until the exchange gets raided and the reserve $$ confiscated? And how is this any better than just using ripple? (shudder).

Tether sounds much worse than "Liberty Dollars" are that founder ended up in very serious legal trouble.

That’s why you must follow legitimate KYC/AML procedures, and not allow unknown/untrusted persons to exchange fiat.

Craig

]
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:27:20 AM

Anyone tried the beta yet ?
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 01:06:57 PM

How do you convert the actual fiat into tether? I checked out the website but still not clear on that.

Exactly. If I send bitcoins to Bitfinex and sell them for dollars, can I then convert them to Tether USD? What if I wire Bitfinex USD, can I convert that to Tether USD, or can I only buy the actual Tethers at Tether.io? To indirectly answer my own question, I did notice that you can buy Tether USD at Expresscoin.com, but you can only mail them checks or USPS money orders, so it isn't very efficient to go that route.
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 08:56:34 AM

Anyone tried the beta yet ?

I received a beta access code.

You can either wire transfer dollars(for now) and get Tether, or you can send Bitcoins and get Tether.
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 05:57:25 PM

How do you convert the actual fiat into tether? I checked out the website but still not clear on that.

Exactly. If I send bitcoins to Bitfinex and sell them for dollars, can I then convert them to Tether USD? What if I wire Bitfinex USD, can I convert that to Tether USD, or can I only buy the actual Tethers at Tether.io? To indirectly answer my own question, I did notice that you can buy Tether USD at Expresscoin.com, but you can only mail them checks or USPS money orders, so it isn't very efficient to go that route.

Replying to my own post here. I contacted Tether, and they told me this:

if you have a KYC-approved account at Bitfinex, you should see “Tether” as a withdrawal/deposit option.  Using this, you can send BTC to Bitfinex, sell them for USD, and then withdraw them as Tether USD to any Bitcoin wallet that supports it (such as HolyTransaction, Omniwallet, etc).

I also assume that you could directly send Bitifinex your USD by wire and then do the same, as that doesn't seem like that would be any different from the dollars stored in your account there from selling bitcoins (but I don't have a SWIFT supporting bank here in the US to test this).
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2015, 07:05:40 PM

what are the pros/cons of tether vs. BitShares BitUSD?

tinky winky

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 08:40:14 PM

Are any other exchanges using it besides Bitfinex?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 08:46:18 PM

One of them is fantasy football, and the other is an air guitar battle of the bands.
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 11:02:55 PM

Tether is on the Bitcoin blockchain.

Are any other exchanges using it besides Bitfinex?

Poloniex.
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 05:05:18 PM

I want to know how the nuts and bolts work.  Nobody ever talks about that.  It's all pie in the sky.
EXACTLY how does one handle tethers?

Bitfinex tether announcement says:
"Tethers can also be withdrawn and held in any Bitcoin wallet where you control the private key"
But on the withdrawal page it says:
"Please confirm that you are sending tethers to a Tether-enabled wallet. Tethers sent to a non-Tether compatible address may be non-retrievable by the recipient."

Where is the step-by-step instructions?

I went to tether.to and requested an invite.
Of course, I prefer not to use a web wallet like omniwallet, which is why I want to know how to transfer tethers to an ordinary bitcoin wallet under my control.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: