Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:13:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain and Multibit  (Read 2731 times)
dlc1962 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:07:25 PM

if you already have a wallet at blockchain.info, you can keep it and use it for your daily transactions.

you can also have a wallet using multibit on your pc (much safer than an online wallet) to keep more coins.

If you already have coins in your blockchain wallet, you can transfer them to your multibit by sending them to your address.

You can have as many wallets you want. And you can have as many addresses you want. Many people use different address for every single transaction. It's up to you.

hope this helps.

How would setup a wallet like multibit so that I can send my bitcoins from blockchain to multibit?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
s1ng
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:22:41 PM

I prefer use blockchain and got first love sight on it  Grin
because it was very simple and easy to use.

No need to install , just access it in haste.

Everything you need is on blockchain.

Multibit ? I have no idea about it because I never use it.
Maybe someone under me knows about it
Simon8x

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:25:48 PM

if you already have a wallet at blockchain.info, you can keep it and use it for your daily transactions.

you can also have a wallet using multibit on your pc (much safer than an online wallet) to keep more coins.

If you already have coins in your blockchain wallet, you can transfer them to your multibit by sending them to your address.

You can have as many wallets you want. And you can have as many addresses you want. Many people use different address for every single transaction. It's up to you.

hope this helps.

How would setup a wallet like multibit so that I can send my bitcoins from blockchain to multibit?

1. Download the latest version on the official site https://multibit.org/
2. Install the program, and create a new wallet
3. Copy an address in your wallet
4. Log in your blockchain.info account, and send all your bitcoin to the address in step 3.

dlc1962 (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:32:53 PM

hope this helps.

4. Log in your blockchain.info account, and send all your bitcoin to the address in step 3.

That's it? Okay but I don't get where I find the import file. I know I must sound like a complete idiot but I'm not techie in the least. Smiley
kwaasteniet

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 02:12:51 PM

You have nothing to import in multibit. Just send the bitcoins from Blockchain.info to the multibitwallet
Simon8x

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 02:58:18 PM

hope this helps.

That's it? Okay but I don't get where I find the import file. I know I must sound like a complete idiot but I'm not techie in the least. Smiley

No worry, we all start as a newbie. Smiley

If you just want to send all your bitcoin to your Multibit wallet, you don't need import anything.
You only need to import a private key, when you have an address created on another wallet and want to keep using that address.

After you have set up your new Multibit wallet, don't forget to backup the files. https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_walletBackups.html

kwaasteniet

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:00:08 PM

If you just want to send all your bitcoin to your Multibit wallet, you don't need import anything.
You only need to import a private key, when you have an address created on another wallet and want to keep using that address.

After you have set up your new Multibit wallet, don't forget to backup the files. https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_walletBackups.html

Th latest version of Multibit has only the possibility to import private keys from other Multibit wallets. Import private keys from Blockchain or other wallets is no longer supported.
Simon8x

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:10:14 PM

Th latest version of Multibit has only the possibility to import private keys from other Multibit wallets. Import private keys from Blockchain or other wallets is no longer supported.

You can't directly import a private key to your Multibit wallet, but you can still do it with a .key file.
Feel free to take a look at https://multibit.org/v0.5/help_importASingleKey.html

dlc1962 (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:38:49 PM

You can't directly import a private key to your Multibit wallet, but you can still do it with a .key file.
Feel free to take a look at https://multibit.org/v0.5/help_importASingleKey.html

I feel like I'm back in school! Grin
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 05:48:05 PM

I don't get how to set it up. I've read the instructions. Tried to do it several times but I keep screwing up.

It's just a standard program; you install it just as you would install any other software.

How is this difficult at all? In my experience, MultiBit is the simplest wallet I've tried till date; for installation as well as usage.

Do you do anything after it's installed? Like import anything?

If you would like to transfer your coins from other wallet, yes you can import the private keys.

But if you're starting from scratch, there is nothing you have to import. You start with a fresh address; one address is already generated for you when you start MultiBit first time.
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 05:50:09 PM

You can, you just have to edit the .key file in notepad.

Try exporting private keys from your MultiBit wallet as a .key file and then add as many private keys to it by editing it with notepad. This will then import in MultiBit.
ToshFace

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 05:59:25 PM

Try exporting private keys from your MultiBit wallet as a .key file and then add as many private keys to it by editing it with notepad. This will then import in MultiBit.

If you can edit it in notepad that means its stored in plain text? what the hell kind of security is that especially if you have a virus.
cheekychap

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:35:53 PM

Do you actually need multibit?

Yes, because it is a wallet. But there are many wallets to choose from. You can see it on https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet.
I just prefer multibit because its a light client, and to don't need to download the entire blockchain which is over 20 GB currently.

sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 07:49:51 AM

If you can edit it in notepad that means its stored in plain text? what the hell kind of security is that especially if you have a virus.

It is upto you if you want to encrypt the key file while exporting. If you just want to store it somewhere, you must encrypt it. If you're using it to edit and import additional private keys, you should not encrypt it but delete after importing.

It would be good if you just try it before crying over security issues.
Aggressor66

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 09:25:48 AM

And remember that protecting your money is your responsibility.
So it totally depends on you and how you manage your wallet and private keys. The private keys are the only way to access your bitcoins.
According to Blockchain, there is no password recovery, losing your private key, you will lose your bitcoins.
dlc1962 (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 11:59:26 AM

Okay, so where should I go from here?
locopao
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 12:10:43 PM

Okay, so where should I go from here?

what have you done so far?

and what do you want to do?           

dlc1962 (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 12:44:42 PM

So far all I've done is setup blockchain as my wallet and using faucets to get bitcoins.
godlyitems

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 12:58:30 PM

So far all I've done is setup blockchain as my wallet and using faucets to get bitcoins.

yep. me also use blockchain.
and no issue but i hate the fee  Grin
dlc1962 (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 01:05:53 PM

yep. me also use blockchain.
and no issue but i hate the fee  Grin

I just want to make sure I get everything setup correctly.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: