Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:08:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Milestone crossing for the official bitcoin client  (Read 6107 times)
dunand (OP)

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:36:28 AM

There are some people that likes to look at the odometer of their car at the exact moment it pass from 99999 to 100000. In about three days from now people who use the official bitcoin client should see the apparition of blk0002.dat when the blockchain will be bigger than 2G.

The blockchain now weight 1950Mb. It grows at a rate of about 15Mb each day.
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 01:39:54 AM

If it gets bigger than 4gb will windows xp support it ?

dunand (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:42:16 AM

If it gets bigger than 4gb will windows xp support it ?

Yes no file will be larger than 2Gb.
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:45:42 AM

Thanks, SpamtoshiDice!

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:50:17 AM

Thanks, SpamtoshiDice!

Yes, if only people would stop using Bitcoin, THEN Bitcoin would thrive!
dunand (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:52:59 AM

Thanks, SpamtoshiDice!

I don't want to highjack my own thread but there is a rumor that satoshidice was developed by a joint venture composed of Toshiba, Western digital and Seagate.  Wink
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:00:06 AM

Thanks, SpamtoshiDice!

I don't want to highjack my own thread but there is a rumor that satoshidice was developed by a joint venture composed of Toshiba, Western digital and Seagate.  Wink

Actually maybe Bitcoin was their project!! Get hundreds of thousands of nerds to store several gigabytes of fake money on their hard drives... so stupid it might actually work Smiley
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1170

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 02:01:06 AM

blk0001.dat will be at most 2130706432 bytes, or 2080768 KiB, or 2032 MiB.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:06:16 AM

Thanks, SpamtoshiDice!
There are ways of doing what you do without polluting the blockchain, you know.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 02:09:44 AM

Thanks, SpamtoshiDice!

If they are valid transactions then its not pollution its a problem with bitcoin itself that needs to be fixed.

Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1170

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 02:23:13 AM

If they are valid transactions then its not pollution its a problem with bitcoin itself that needs to be fixed.

To draw an analogy in real life: not everything that is legal to do, is considered well-mannered.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 02:32:04 AM

Thanks, SpamtoshiDice!

Thank you for saying that. 

SatoshiDice has done us a favor by identifying and demonstrating weaknesses in the algorithm that are ripe for improvement.

It's better to discover and fix vulnerabilities now, rather than have adversaries exploit them for attacks later.

/semi-threadjack

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:38:23 AM

SatoshiDice has done us a favor by identifying and demonstrating weaknesses in the algorithm that are ripe for improvement.

It's better to discover and fix vulnerabilities now, rather than have adversaries exploit them for attacks later.

/semi-threadjack
Satoshi even mentioned the issue in the original paper, so SatoshiDice most definitely wasn't first to identify this problem. You're only giving the developers less time to come up with well-written lite clients and transaction pruning, while turning more people off because of the increased size and lengthened download time of the blockchain. Nice job!

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 03:59:43 AM

/semi-threadjack
Satoshi even mentioned the issue in the original paper, so SatoshiDice most definitely wasn't first to identify this problem. You're only giving the developers less time to come up with well-written lite clients and transaction pruning, while turning more people off because of the increased size and lengthened download time of the blockchain. Nice job!

That's right, Satoshi did mention the issue(s) in his white paper.  And yes, SatoshiDice (but no, not *me* personally as I've yet to roll them) is increasing pressure on developers to deliver solutions.

Can you cite any evidence for your claim that it's "turning more people off because of the increased size and lengthened download time of the blockchain?"  Can you quantify such evidence if it exists?

Exactly (or about) how many nodes have been abandoned because their operators ragequit due to an (arguably prematurely) increased blockchain footprint?  How would you even begin an estimate?

SatoshiDice is subsidizing further progress by incentivizing (I hate that word) actual usage of a known exploit. 

While theoretical solutions may be developed based on the white paper, nothing can sufficiently approximate actual exploitation in the wild.  That's why testnets exist.

Thank you SatoshiDice, for giving us early warning of and opportunity to proactively respond to the inevitable blockchain growth problem, before any malicious adversary used the exploit to cause the type of critical, and potentially irrecoverable, damage often resulting from zero-day attacks!

Measures currently being deployed against (i.e. because of) SatoshiDice by pool operators have already hardened the network to some extent against this vector.  That's a Good Thing!

We must not blame the messenger and should instead be grateful for the valuable feedback SatoshiDice has provided, especially if blockchain bloat is as humungous an issue as many here believe.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 04:06:15 AM

Not to mention SatoshiDice has paid more miners' fees than all other bitcoin transactions combined in history.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 04:31:51 AM

Not to mention SatoshiDice has paid more miners' fees than all other bitcoin transactions combined in history.

That's another great point!

We want people to use Bitcoin, we *need* people to use Bitcoin.

SatoshiDice is helping popularize the use of Bitcoin for transactions. 

Blockchain growth and payment of miners' fees are direct measurements of its (and Bitcoin itself's) success. 

We're trying to present Bitcoin as ready for prime time and real world usage.  It doesn't help anybody to coddle and protect it like a delicate testnet.

This debate is simply an instance of the eternal white vs black hat approach to compsec.  It won't be resolved, but the discussion can enlighten and entertain both participants and spectators.

Does SatoshiDice have an API?  I'd like to see SatoshiDice become a back end gambling service layer for inclusion in all sorts of online/mobile gaming.  Let's accelerate Android generation penetration!

By penalizing the success of SatoshiDice we subsidize failure, and should only expect to get more of it.

More transactions please!  Grow the blockchain faster!  Peace through strength!  Onward cryptoanarchists!

/manifesto

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 11:37:10 AM

That's right, Satoshi did mention the issue(s) in his white paper.  And yes, SatoshiDice (but no, not *me* personally as I've yet to roll them) is increasing pressure on developers to deliver solutions.
That's right! It's also decreasing the time available for them to deliver said solutions.

Can you cite any evidence for your claim that it's "turning more people off because of the increased size and lengthened download time of the blockchain?"  Can you quantify such evidence if it exists?
These are just a few I found searching for keywords such as "slow" or "blockchain download":
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56423.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88311.0
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/o08f0/bitcoin_block_chain_server/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/l636n/blocks_not_downloading_cant_get_my_coins_what/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/jadmu/is_there_any_way_to_speed_up_the_initial/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/qe90z/is_there_a_copy_of_the_bitcoin_transaction/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/s60sj/why_is_block_downloading_so_slow/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/vtoqg/my_bitcoin_blockchain_is_taking_days_to_download/

Exactly (or about) how many nodes have been abandoned because their operators ragequit due to an (arguably prematurely) increased blockchain footprint?  How would you even begin an estimate?
I don't know. It's very hard to give any real numbers. They don't have to completely quit and uninstall their client for their experience to be considered failed in my book. If the blockchain is taking a long time to download (sometimes days), they can't receive and spend bitcoins.

Thank you SatoshiDice, for giving us early warning of and opportunity to proactively respond to the inevitable blockchain growth problem, before any malicious adversary used the exploit to cause the type of critical, and potentially irrecoverable, damage often resulting from zero-day attacks!
What?! This is not a zero-day.

Measures currently being deployed against (i.e. because of) SatoshiDice by pool operators have already hardened the network to some extent against this vector.  That's a Good Thing!
The pools are only deprioritizing transations to and from the many 1dice... addresses, so this changes nothing in terms of other attackers. We would be no less or more prone to this if SatoshiDice were not around.

We must not blame the messenger and should instead be grateful for the valuable feedback SatoshiDice has provided, especially if blockchain bloat is as humungous an issue as many here believe.
Same thing with the people who hacked Last.fm and LinkedIn before leaking millions of username and password combinations, right? Let's not blame the messenger, but the companies.

dunand (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 11:35:21 PM

This is it : blk0002.dat is here.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 05:32:10 AM

Thanks for the on-point response mcorlett!

First, decreasing time available to deliver solutions is a good thing because that means there's also less time available for an adversary to use the vulnerability.

Second, the plural of anecdote is not data.  Some reddheads complaining about their lack of instant gratification does not indicate SatoshiDice has in any way retarded Bitcoin node growth.

That's why (third) you (and nobody else) know or have any way to give real numbers.  Extraordinary claims such as 'ZOMG SpamToshidie -> death of Bitcoin' require extraordinary evidence.  Not mere supposition and propagation of hearsay.

Fourth, while the 'transaction spam attack' and corresponding blockchain bloat are not 0-day in the narrow sense, they were in the broad sense that before SatoshiDice the network response to them was untested and no countermeasures had ever been put into place.

Fifth, pool ops are doing more than ignoring 1dice addresses.  I'm surprised that's the only response you're aware of.

No matter, the other countermeasures have already provided a number of ways to respond to intentionally malicious transaction spam.

Thus, we are in fact less prone to say, the ButtCoin clowns deciding to pay lots of transaction fees solely for the purpose of clogging up confirmations and blockchain downloads, than before SatoshiDice forced the issue.

Sixth, we are once again digressing into a generic white vs black hat debate.  Sure, I was mildly annoyed at having to change my linkedin password, but OTOH anyone registered at Gawker deserved to be doxed into a puddle of blubbering goo.  So you may scold and wag your finger at the black hats all you like, while I stand firm and enjoy epic lulz with Wikileaks and Anonymous.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 11:57:54 AM

First, decreasing time available to deliver solutions is a good thing because that means there's also less time available for an adversary to use the vulnerability.
This is not a security vulnerability. Please don't discuss it as if it were.

Second, the plural of anecdote is not data.  Some reddheads complaining about their lack of instant gratification does not indicate SatoshiDice has in any way retarded Bitcoin node growth.
I would think it would be quite important to draw the distinction between complaining and being genuinely worried. SatoshiDice has directly lengthened the download speed when there were less resource-intensive options available.

That's why (third) you (and nobody else) know or have any way to give real numbers.  Extraordinary claims such as 'ZOMG SpamToshidie -> death of Bitcoin' require extraordinary evidence.  Not mere supposition and propagation of hearsay.
SatoshiDice spams blockchain -> blockchain grows unnecessarily -> users complain -> users leave -> death of Bitcoin(?)

Fourth, while the 'transaction spam attack' and corresponding blockchain bloat are not 0-day in the narrow sense, they were in the broad sense that before SatoshiDice the network response to them was untested and no countermeasures had ever been put into place.
Wrong! There are attempts clearly visible in the blockchain, both on prodnet, as well as testnet. You may also take a look at the Litecoin alternative chain for some serious spamming.

Fifth, pool ops are doing more than ignoring 1dice addresses.  I'm surprised that's the only response you're aware of.

No matter, the other countermeasures have already provided a number of ways to respond to intentionally malicious transaction spam.
Since you're so bothered with accurate sources, please list the countermeasures implemented directly because of SatoshiDice, sans "ignoring 1dice addresses" (which in itself is a flawed way to describe it).

Thus, we are in fact less prone to say, the ButtCoin clowns deciding to pay lots of transaction fees solely for the purpose of clogging up confirmations and blockchain downloads, than before SatoshiDice forced the issue.
Clogging up confirmations?! Such a claim would require extraordinary evidence.  Not mere supposition and propagation of hearsay. Please detail how exactly you go about doing such a thing in a manner more destructive than that of SatoshiDice.

Sixth, we are once again digressing into a generic white vs black hat debate.  Sure, I was mildly annoyed at having to change my linkedin password, but OTOH anyone registered at Gawker deserved to be doxed into a puddle of blubbering goo.  So you may scold and wag your finger at the black hats all you like, while I stand firm and enjoy epic lulz with Wikileaks and Anonymous.
I don't think I have to address this...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: