Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:24:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] Seeking $4000 USD Loan  (Read 1330 times)
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:52:11 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2012, 08:35:45 PM by Garr255

I decided to sell some things instead.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey all,

I'm in a bad (keeping in mind everything is relative) situation. I need/want a car. This one, preferably.

Most of my money is in BTC, which I think is only going to rise from here out, so taking out a BTC loan then converting to fiat would be a foolish and destructive move.

I have the BTC funds to cover this loan at the current exchange rate, so assuming the BTC price goes up there is absolutely no way for me to be unable to repay the loan. I also have some BTC income (Mining operations and trading), and an awesome job. (awesome != high paying, necessarily)

I have a good deal of rep here, so I figured I'd ask before going elsewhere. I'd really appreciate if someone could simply lend me the money, but that probably won't happen, so I'd be looking for something like a 3% APR.

I don't plan on keeping this for more than a year, but if BTC just keeps rising, it might be in my best interest to.

Thanks,
Garrett

- -----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (MingW32)
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=PKnr
- -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (MingW32)

iEYEARECAAYFAk/881oACgkQfJfDGPUd0Yv0fwCgkgHpbYTo9Owq/4f57NeL8yji
5XgAn3TCNJ9tkBS6NjDu9ukV71T/XIRr
=Fh1W
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:59:03 AM

Hey all,

I'm in a bad (keeping in mind everything is relative) situation. I need/want a car. This one, preferably.

Most of my money is in BTC, which I think is only going to rise from here out, so taking out a BTC loan then converting to fiat would be a foolish and destructive move.

I have the BTC funds to cover this loan at the current exchange rate, so assuming the BTC price goes up there is absolutely no way for me to be unable to repay the loan. I also have some BTC income (Mining operations and trading), and an awesome job. (awesome != high paying, necessarily)

I have a good deal of rep here, so I figured I'd ask before going elsewhere. I'd really appreciate if someone could simply lend me the money, but that probably won't happen, so I'd be looking for something like a 3% APR.

I don't plan on keeping this for more than a year, but if BTC just keeps rising, it might be in my best interest to.

Thanks,
Garrett
Getting your first car? Gee, I wish I've started driving with one of those great beasts.  Cheesy
Getting back on topic, you'll need to find Patrick or someone that's willing to deal with a USD loan and is in the States. Wiring the money to you would easily eat through the 3% APR. (that's why I love Bitcoin)
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:11:53 AM

Hey all,

Thanks,
Garrett

If you have a decent job with a paystub you should be able to go to a local credit union and get a low interest rate loan to buy a used car..
waltmarkers

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:16:25 AM

3% APR Is something that you generally see on new or used cars less than 3 years old. Also, you only get 3% APR on minimum issue of 15K. And that lender would actually be a recorded lien holder on your title.

Plus, they verify credit scores and income. I don't think this forum is going to lend a relatively high amount of USD (for this forum) at a rate below anything here, not hedged against BTC. You need a credit union, not an anon loan.

But, if you get one here, congrats!
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:22:46 AM

3% APR Is something that you generally see on new or used cars less than 3 years old. Also, you only get 3% APR on minimum issue of 15K. And that lender would actually be a recorded lien holder on your title.

Plus, they verify credit scores and income. I don't think this forum is going to lend a relatively high amount of USD (for this forum) at a rate below anything here, not hedged against BTC. You need a credit union, not an anon loan.

This would be far from anonymous! I do plan on disclosing all requested information (within reason) to the lender.

(Also I'm gonna sign the OP with my PGP key right now)

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:25:53 AM

Not true.  I've borrowed far less then 15k on used vehicles much older then 3 years at 3%.  If you have a decent credit score and a paystub, its not that difficult..
waltmarkers

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:30:27 AM

This would be far from anonymous! I do plan on disclosing all requested information (within reason) to the lender.

But, would your lender or lending syndicate actually take a lien on your title? Why not a commercial bank?

I'm trying to help you finish your case for a loan. While we're at it, will you put anything down on the car? Amortized or ballon loan and what time horizon?

I'm sorry if this sounds like bashing, I'm trying to help you finish your application.
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 04:10:05 AM

But, would your lender or lending syndicate actually take a lien on your title? Why not a commercial bank?

I'm trying to help you finish your case for a loan. While we're at it, will you put anything down on the car? Amortized or ballon loan and what time horizon?

I'm sorry if this sounds like bashing, I'm trying to help you finish your application.

I appreciate your input. I will be putting at least two or three thousand toward the car initially, and I'm going to try to negotiate the price down a bit. (If I can get him down I won't need this large of a loan.)

I'm not sure about the complications involved in a lein, but I would be willing to agree to such a thing if the lender requested it. Because it is such a low value item I wouldn't think it would be necessary.

I would prefer a loosely amortized loan, to be paid back as I receive the funds at a predetermined increment.

Thanks for the help.

brendio

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 04:30:10 AM

From my perspective, I think your offered interest rate is way too low. I can get 5.86% APR in a government-guaranteed bank account in my country and will not be exposed to currency fluctuations. I understand real interest rates in the USA are negative so the situation there may be different. Even so, I think you will find it difficult to access funding unless you are willing to increase the interest rate you will pay.

For comparison, the last loan I made denominated in USD earned me 34.5 % APR, and that was to a very trusted member of this forum.

Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 04:44:56 AM

From my perspective, I think your offered interest rate is way too low. I can get 5.86% APR in a government-guaranteed bank account in my country and will not be exposed to currency fluctuations. I understand real interest rates in the USA are negative so the situation there may be different. Even so, I think you will find it difficult to access funding unless you are willing to increase the interest rate you will pay.

For comparison, the last loan I made denominated in USD earned me 34.5 % APR, and that was to a very trusted member of this forum.

But that was probably a very short term loan. Probably 1 month for 2.875%?

I know the state of bitcoin lending -- I recently collected a hundred btc of 1 month loans all at 10%. I'm just looking(hoping) for more of a courtesy loan, as I will not be investing the money or earning any profits whatsoever as a result of it. Because of this, if the question "Why trust this kid with $4k?" arrieses, I will respond with stating that (after it all arrives from BFL) I'll be managing over $30k of mining hardware owned by other people, and so far there has been nothing but success (and increase in share value Smiley)

JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 06:07:47 PM

I was considering asking for a similar thing, my current car is at 195k miles, and I'm looking for a new one that I'm going to have to drive 110 miles a day for work with...

If you get it, I may consider trying for mine.
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 06:37:10 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2012, 07:30:22 PM by eroxors

I don't think that it would be legal to lend to a minor? BTC is one thing, USD with an APR contract is an entirely different animal, unless it can be cosigned with a lien on the title... but who knows.

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 06:50:31 PM

Garrett,

I was in your position just two weeks ago. I ended up taking out a small loan at 3% APR  from the local bank. I needed a cosigner, and the title has a lien. I too thought about how awesome it would be to pay for a car with a BTC loan.

I'm interested to see how this pans out!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: