Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:33:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much book keeping do you guys do?  (Read 2287 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 04:51:16 PM

I am just curious as to how much book keeping everyone else does?

For me personality since I do re-use alot of my address like a lot of people on here probably do, I have been keeping an excel spreadsheet with 5 columns. First is the Payee/payer if I do have a name. Second column is their address(es) from where the bitcoins were sent or received. Third column is like a memo and 4th is the transaction id. The last column is amount if negative I know I sent it and if positive I know I have received it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 05:00:22 PM

New address for every transaction, empty it using coin control and never use it again. Only record kept is total balance.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:26:04 PM

For me personality since I do re-use alot of my address like a lot of people on here probably do, I have been keeping an excel spreadsheet with 5 columns. First is the Payee/payer if I do have a name. Second column is their address(es) from where the bitcoins were sent or received. Third column is like a memo and 4th is the transaction id. The last column is amount if negative I know I sent it and if positive I know I have received it.

Hello gweedo,

Yes, record keeping is a major PITA especially if multiple addresses are involved. I use spreadsheets to keep track using almost the same setup as you.
I have been looking into pywallet, coin control, alternative clients, etc in hopes that they could help with recordkeeping.

It would be nice if an app existed where all I had to do was enter the address(es) and all the transactions were presented nicely, without requiring private keys. Maybe it already exists but I haven't found it yet.

Asunder8

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:55:28 PM

Hello gweedo,

Yes, record keeping is a major PITA especially if multiple addresses are involved. I use spreadsheets to keep track using almost the same setup as you.
I have been looking into pywallet, coin control, alternative clients, etc in hopes that they could help with recordkeeping.

It would be nice if an app existed where all I had to do was enter the address(es) and all the transactions were presented nicely, without requiring private keys. Maybe it already exists but I haven't found it yet.

Something like this sounds like it would be excellent. I have also been struggling with accounting (though I only have to handle personal stuff); the best I could do for now is Excel to track my investments and a (poor) attempt at using gnucash to keep track of cashflow.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 07:29:23 PM

I don't.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 07:35:37 PM

I wrote an iOS app (that is waiting for review) to help manage bitcoin addresses...pm me and I'll give you a free copy when (if) it gets approved. It's called myBitcoin. Hopefully will be available within a week.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 07:39:38 PM

I will have to add transaction lists to it...right now it just converts first bits to addresses, confirms with block chain the balance, grabs a qoute from MtGox, and keeps them all in a list (more or less...you can select an icon for each address...eg, bitbills, casascius coins, easywallet, printcoin, etc).

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 08:00:25 PM

Something like this sounds like it would be excellent. I have also been struggling with accounting (though I only have to handle personal stuff); the best I could do for now is Excel to track my investments and a (poor) attempt at using gnucash to keep track of cashflow.

If you need to do personal I use mint.com it is the best and I don't think they had any major security breach, may we all should appeal to them to accept bitcoin transactions tracking but I don't it since the parent company to them is the same ones that make quickbooks so I doubt they added in bitcoins.
+1. They actually were purchased by Intuit, and the site was a bit better previously without all the affiliates and advertising junk, but it does work quite well.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 08:18:27 PM

I wrote an iOS app (that is waiting for review) to help manage bitcoin addresses...pm me and I'll give you a free copy when (if) it gets approved. It's called myBitcoin. Hopefully will be available within a week.

You should seriously consider changing the name of the app.

Just look into the MyBitcoin.com fiasco from last year, and I guarantee you'll not want to be associated with that label in any way.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 09:11:21 PM

NONE. Cant be bothered to create another way to have every transaction I ever did exposed. Bad enough the client keeps that info in the wallet.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 09:37:01 PM

NONE. Cant be bothered to create another way to have every transaction I ever did exposed. Bad enough the client keeps that info in the wallet.
lol

You realize that every single bitcoin transaction of yours is public, right? And everyone that has the Satoshi client also has a complete database of any and all bitcoin transactions ever made.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
REF

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 10:15:42 PM

Very little. I try to use a new address for every deposit but sometimes I cant be bothered to turn on my wallet PC so ill re-use them occasionally.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 02:39:16 AM

You should seriiously consider changing the name of the app.

Just look into the MyBitcoin.com fiasco from last year, and I guarantee you'll not want to be associated with that label in any way.

Apparently I named it myBitcoins (had to check!). I thought about the mybitcoin.com fiasco (crime), but I seriously doubt I will get more than a dozen buyers, if that, no matter what it's called. I wrote the code for myself to use and it does what I want it to do. I am putting it up for $0.99...if there is any significant interest, I will spend time improving it for others (presumably for fellow forum members).

If I were hoping to strike it rich, I would not pick the name (nor such a simple logo).

While I feel bad for those who got ripped off in the mybitcoin.com theft, I remember thinking the whole time it was so stupid to deposit money with some guy no one knows. I think linking a real identity to a username is sorely needed to give Bitcoin more legitimacy, and I think Mike's work with Casascius coins is a great example. I'm also not a fan of announcing stuff in vapor ware style (cough...ellet....cough), but my stuff is done just awaiting the Apple review...and it's no where near as important/revolutionary as what MNW is claiming.

Brian
(1427284033)

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 04:27:18 AM

New address for every transaction, empty it using coin control and never use it again. Only record kept is total balance.
this
Asunder8

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 06:01:04 PM

If you need to do personal I use mint.com it is the best and I don't think they had any major security breach, may we all should appeal to them to accept bitcoin transactions tracking but I don't it since the parent company to them is the same ones that make quickbooks so I doubt they added in bitcoins.

I was strictly referring to Bitcoin. Yes, mint is extremely useful, I rarely log in to individual accounts any more.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 02:06:34 PM

Hello gweedo,

A blockchain.info wallet does this, they are called watch addresses.

Also it let's you spend if you want, it will prompt you for the private key, sign the tx, then destroy its copy.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 07:03:14 PM

Hello gweedo,

Also it let's you spend if you want, it will prompt you for the private key, sign the tx, then destroy its copy.

Thanks for the heads up, ErebusBat.  Cool

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2012, 11:18:42 AM

Hello gweedo,

Thanks for the heads up, ErebusBat.  Cool
+1 to this. I wrote my software to start emulating this function of blockchain....I just hated logging in, so I made an app.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 12:41:48 AM

You should seriiously consider changing the name of the app.

Apparently I named it myBitcoins (had to check!). I thought about the mybitcoin.com fiasco (crime), but I seriously doubt I will get more than a dozen buyers, if that, no matter what it's called. I wrote the code for myself to use and it does what I want it to do. I am putting it up for $0.99...if there is any significant interest, I will spend time improving it for others (presumably for fellow forum members).

If I were hoping to strike it rich, I would not pick the name (nor such a simple logo).

While I feel bad for those who got ripped off in the mybitcoin.com theft, I remember thinking the whole time it was so stupid to deposit money with some guy no one knows. I think linking a real identity to a username is sorely needed to give Bitcoin more legitimacy, and I think Mike's work with Casascius coins is a great example. I'm also not a fan of announcing stuff in vapor ware style (cough...ellet....cough), but my stuff is done just awaiting the Apple review...and it's no where near as important/revolutionary as what MNW is claiming.

Brian
(1427284033)

As promised, here's my iPhone app:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mybitcoins/id539677499?ls=1&mt=8

It's a buck... That is, until Apple takes Bitcoins.

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 12:44:57 AM

A lot.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: