Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:51:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty drop preceding BFL's ASIC release?  (Read 3584 times)
Shadow383 (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:59:34 PM

I've been thinking about where mining's headed with the (potential) release of BFL ASICs and such.

There's one factor that I don't think has really been discussed: Namely, when will BFL ask for their FPGAs back for trade-ins?
They could potentially be taking back a substantial number of singles and mini-rigs, so if this precedes the full ASIC release, is it not possible that this could knock several percent off the difficulty whilst we wait for their ASICs to hit the market?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:03:25 PM

Yes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 06:24:23 AM

IIRC BFL stated that your trade-in only needs to be shipped to them when a replacement (with your name on it) is there ready to go.
Shadow383 (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 11:59:37 AM

IIRC BFL stated that your trade-in only needs to be shipped to them when a replacement (with your name on it) is there ready to go.
At which point I guess it'll be 4-6 weeks  Wink
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 12:50:57 PM

Hard to know without having all their data about new/replacement orders and running a model, but... they will be shipping new orders as well as replacement orders, so I'd guess the overall effect would be to increase hash rate overall, slowly at first then rapidly, with little or no drop. Thus, my guess is no decrease in difficulty.

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:10:29 PM

Hard to know without having all their data about new/replacement orders and running a model, but... they will be shipping new orders as well as replacement orders, so I'd guess the overall effect would be to increase hash rate overall, slowly at first then rapidly, with little or no drop. Thus, my guess is no decrease in difficulty.

But the first shipment is going to go out all at once in a large batch, and well over 1/3 of it will be trade-in, so BFL will need a bunch of trade-in FPGAs before the first shipment goes out. So we may see a significant drop in difficulty shortly before ASICs come online. Maybe 10-15% or so. Nothing to get excited about, since it will be shortly followed by a large jump.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 02:38:00 PM

But the first shipment is going to go out all at once in a large batch, and well over 1/3 of it will be trade-in

Oops - I hadn't noticed that. Sorry!
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:22:33 AM

But the first shipment is going to go out all at once in a large batch, and well over 1/3 of it will be trade-in

Based on previous hardware releases... Bfl does not seem to have ability to do mass release. If they do do this
Expect hardware to be shipped in 2013.
lame.duck
Legendary

Activity: 1270

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 09:51:01 AM

Based on previous hardware releases... Bfl does not seem to have ability to do mass release. If they do do this
Expect hardware to be shipped in 2013.

Since the ASICs are new chips BFL could easily hire a contract manufacturer for production. Using used FPGAs is much more work intensive (expensive) since it has to be done (mostly) manually. 
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 02:27:11 PM

Well, BFL said the first shipment would go as a large batch, so they would have a pretty major PR disaster on their hands if they didn't follow through on this. And since they already have our money, I don't see why they wouldn't just wait until they are ready to ship a large batch. But yes I agree it could mean a further delay. Frankly, I'm not in a huge rush to get my ASICs. Because when they arrive my GPU rigs will quickly become useless. It's possible I might make more coin at first with ASIC, but I think before long the income will be about the same or even less as all the other ASICs come online. So to me, its more like I'm just changing out old equipment for new, but the old equipment works fine, so not in a rush to make the change. So, meh, 2013 is fine with me.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 10:16:41 PM

Well, BFL said the first shipment would go as a large batch, so they would have a pretty major PR disaster on their hands if they didn't follow through on this.

Source?
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:59:52 PM

Well, BFL said the first shipment would go as a large batch, so they would have a pretty major PR disaster on their hands if they didn't follow through on this.

Source?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=89523.0
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 09:41:06 PM

But the first shipment is going to go out all at once in a large batch, and well over 1/3 of it will be trade-in, so BFL will need a bunch of trade-in FPGAs before the first shipment goes out. So we may see a significant drop in difficulty shortly before ASICs come online. Maybe 10-15% or so. Nothing to get excited about, since it will be shortly followed by a large jump.

i read somewhere that they will ship your asic first and after it arrives, you have to send it in:)

Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 03:29:12 AM

i read somewhere that they will ship your asic first and after it arrives, you have to send it in:)

Nope. I think common sense should tell you that they wouldn't do it this way, but in any case they have explicitly stated so.

http://www.butterflylabs.com/bitforce-sc-release-notes/

Relevant passage: "You may keep your current single (or Mini Rig) up to the date your SC based product is ready.  We’ll notify you at that time and wait for your trade in to arrive before releasing your unit."
kunibopl

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 07:00:44 PM

theoretically all, who have an order in line with BFL, could take their current hardware off the net 2 weeks before BFL ships.
this would reduce difficulty and they would be more than compensated for the loss after the shipment.

NXT: 5231236538923913892
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 07:11:33 PM

I don't have a FPGA miner, so I am not affected by any of this. But I'd strongly advice to keep your unit until the replacement is in your hand and ready to go. There's no guarantee on how long it takes to do the swap - and that assumes that everything goes well with the shipment.. Also gives you a chance to check your satisfaction level with the new equipment.

You should ask for trade-in options. E.g. if you get to keep your unit until the replacement arrives they may keep 10% of the trade-in value? Then you can decide for yourself how you want to handle this...

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:45:44 AM

I don't have a FPGA miner, so I am not affected by any of this. But I'd strongly advice to keep your unit until the replacement is in your hand and ready to go. There's no guarantee on how long it takes to do the swap - and that assumes that everything goes well with the shipment.. Also gives you a chance to check your satisfaction level with the new equipment.

You should ask for trade-in options. E.g. if you get to keep your unit until the replacement arrives they may keep 10% of the trade-in value? Then you can decide for yourself how you want to handle this...

So you are suggesting that BFL collect more money (10% of the trade-in value) for people who want to keep the trade-in till after they receive their new equipment? This would greatly complicate billing arrangements, and BFL can barely cope as it is with billing. And what recourse would BFL have if some people decide not to send the trade-in? It's a nice thought, but not very practical. I think BFL will probably not deviate from what they have said, and require that you send the trade-in before they ship the new stuff. But I suppose that if they don't actually stand to gain much from the "refurbished" FPGAs, then they might not care very much, and might be OK with people shipping them after the new stuff arrives.   
squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 08:16:33 AM

IIRC BFL will let you know when your trade in item is ready to be shipped, Then wait for yours to be sent back BEFORE sending your item.

Sure someone will correct me if i'm way off.
50BTC.com

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

PPS pool

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 12:32:36 PM

How BFL would know you didn't send them some books instead of fpga?

50btc.com - PPS pool, instant payout (Visa, Liberty Reserve, QIWI, Yandex.Money, WebMoney,...), API, fast and responsible support, pay for stale shares.
Shadow383 (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 01:06:34 PM

How BFL would know you didn't send them some books instead of fpga?

Well presumably they won't ship ASICs until they get the trade-in units.

Hence why I'd be very skeptical high on the order list about doing a trade-in. Might miss the boat on low-difficulty ASIC mining....
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: