Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:28:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Colored Coins  (Read 991 times)
bitcreditscc (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 10:46:26 PM

I am investigating the idea, and i saw how it seems it's the transactions that are colored. Can someone explain this choice to me?

Also when i looked at the implementation i saw that you need a colored wallet to track the tx. I was wondering if it is possible to instead add an additional field to every transaction that stipulates the color. One wallet can then maybe track your balances in different colors.

If there are holes in my logic,i'd be grateful if someone points it out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 12:24:04 AM

Colored Coins use a particular method to track meta data. There are many possible ways to track meta data. It would not be a bad idea for someone to start building a comprehensive wallet to track them all. It would require some heavy computing power.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
readerbtc

Activity: 54
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 01:19:52 PM

I am investigating the idea, and i saw how it seems it's the transactions that are colored. Can someone explain this choice to me?

What choice?
bitcreditscc (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 01:29:01 PM

What choice?

the way I see it, you can either color specific outputs or you can have a whole different type of token running alongside normal ones.

again if i am wrong , please let me know.

Nicolas Dorier

Activity: 714
Merit: 619

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 03:27:57 PM

I wrote about it http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/835098/NBitcoin-Build-Them-All and this will be detailed in the next part of my book https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=926087.0

Bitcoin address 15sYbVpRh6dyWycZMwPdxJWD4xbfxReeHe
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 12:08:52 AM

Colored Coins use a particular method to track meta data. There are many possible ways to track meta data. It would not be a bad idea for someone to start building a comprehensive wallet to track them all. It would require some heavy computing power.
CoinPrisim does this.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 12:11:04 AM

What choice?

the way I see it, you can either color specific outputs or you can have a whole different type of token running alongside normal ones.

again if i am wrong , please let me know.

Yes.  The motivation is to allow other tokens to enter the market, but not requiring you to get enough nodes and miners to secure the network.

Using the OP_RETURN field, you can add arbitary data, that represents your coin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: