Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:52:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I hold a short position for months or years ?  (Read 3462 times)
stellar1 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 06:42:09 AM

Can I hold a short position in BTC vs any other for months or years ? Please restrict to top five exchanges only as liquidity alone defines an exchange.

Thank you
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
seabass1985

Think For Yourself Question Authority

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 12:11:20 PM

No one know the for sure future in anything having to do with these kinds of markets.  All I can tell you is that it has seemed to me that there is always a drop in the winter months and then in spring going into summer it picks back up again but who's to say how much. Good Luck God Bless.
98problems

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:01:26 AM

Can I hold a short position in BTC vs any other for months or years ? Please restrict to top five exchanges only as liquidity alone defines an exchange.

Thank you
Yes you can however it would most likely not be economical to do so. When you are short bitcoin you are effectively borrowing it in order to sell it on an exchange. You would then repay the loan when you cover your position.

If you were to hold the position for years (or months) then you would need to pay interest on that borrowed bitcoin the entire time. The only way this would be economical for you is if the price were to steadily and evenly decline over the period that you held the position

Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 09:39:42 AM

Thank you
Just hold for years.
You will have a suprise Grin Grin Grin
seen369

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 10:09:13 AM

Thank you
Just hold for years.

Why you smile? Maybe the price will increase up to the sky....And he got a lot of money.
stellar1 (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 10:45:07 AM

Thank you
Just hold for years.

Holding for the last few years has been extremely profitable (to who ever has been holding them)...next few years too early to guess...but smart traders may know when to begin fresh positions.

Thanks
coinpeep

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:53:03 AM

The best way to do this would be to use a futures platform like icbit/orderbook or bitmex.
Sell the longest dated future they have.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:04:47 PM

Thank you

You could passively short bitcoin by just not buy them or sell everything for cash and wait.
Johnbbb

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 12:31:07 PM

Yes, off course you could do that but its quite risky especially if you are unaware of bitcoin rapidly changing value!
seen369

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:43:41 PM

Thank you
Just hold for years.

Holding for the last few years has been extremely profitable (to who ever has been holding them)...next few years too early to guess...but smart traders may know when to begin fresh positions.

Thanks

So maybe you will be a smart trader and tell to us, when they begin? Wink
KizerWilhelm

Activity: 45

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:46:38 PM

Thank you
Just hold for years.

Thanks

So maybe you will be a smart trader and tell to us, when they begin? Wink

Yeah, and also tell us, which exchanges, are not to be closed in next 5 years Grin
Cicero69

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:50:37 PM

I think that this is not a good idea. You can't enough profit on it, but you can lose all your money.
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 08:51:18 PM

Just use a derivative to sell short.
Also, if you want to hold coins for actual practical use, i.e. spending, but not be vulnerable to losing against their $ value, then you can use derivatives that way too, "hedging".

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
stellar1 (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 08:13:52 AM

The best way to do this would be to use a futures platform like icbit/orderbook or bitmex.
Sell the longest dated future they have.

Thanks BITMEX is the only exchange I could find. If any more please let me know.

@tmfp Thanks for your advice....great for holders of BTC.
seen369

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:21:51 PM

Also, if you want to hold coins for actual practical use, i.e. spending, but not be vulnerable to losing against their $ value, then you can use derivatives that way too, "hedging".

All this options is to dangerous to use them, be ready to lose, and do not invest more than you can lose...
Cicero69

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:44:45 PM

All this options is to dangerous to use them, be ready to lose, and do not invest more than you can lose...

Yes, now i am reading different topics at bitcointalk, and i can see that now, it is not a good time to start work with BTC, i think better now wait and watch at the market.
seen369

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 11:51:14 AM

Yes, now i am reading different topics at bitcointalk, and i can see that now, it is not a good time to start work with BTC, i think better now wait and watch at the market.

So, you are late on 4 years to have good start)) And what are you want to wait?
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 01:48:43 PM

Thank you

As long as the service is offering you to keep the positoin and there is liquidity you can hold the position but the third party will disapear if Bitcoin goes to zero and you will pay a daily or monthly fee to keep your position.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 02:45:20 AM

Dunno if this has been asked but what are you holding against? if you hold against an altcoin, the altcoin has big % of crashing and dissapearing from the exchange, unless you are putting in in the couple ones that are worth long time , and still a big risk.
BTCjust

Activity: 241

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:31:53 AM

yes, you can.

and good luck with you  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: