Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:04:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using CC to invest in GLBSE?  (Read 1137 times)
Silentcarrot (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:54:33 PM

Hey guys?

Was just thinking about opening a credit card to investing in GLBSE. With an 14% annual rate,  (some cards even offering 0% interest for a year), would it atleast an 'ok' idea if you're responsible?

What are you guys thoughts about using a credit card to invest like 1-2k into GLBSE and make monthly payments off the dividends?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:57:23 PM

Hey guys?

Was just thinking about opening a credit card to investing in GLBSE. With an 14% annual rate,  (some cards even offering 0% interest for a year), would it atleast an 'ok' idea if you're responsible?

What are you guys thoughts about using a credit card to invest like 1-2k into GLBSE and make monthly payments off the dividends?

Nuts. There is no such thing as investment into GLBSE.

If you want to invest into PPTs, well a lot of people call it a ponzi. If you're ready to loose all of your money - go ahead.
Silentcarrot (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 12:19:47 AM

Hey guys?

If you want to invest into PPTs, well a lot of people call it a ponzi. If you're ready to loose all of your money - go ahead.

Never said PPT's brah
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 12:48:05 AM

The returns on many GLBSE issues are greater than the rate for the credit card, so it is not a completely insane idea. GLBSE issues tend to be high risk to get that high return, so you have to be careful. Bitcoins themselves are high risk. Bottom line, I would not suggest borrowing more than you would be able to pay back if you lose everything.

Perhaps a better idea would be taking a portion of your income to invest, sort of like putting money into a retirement fund (just much more high risk).

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:49:02 AM

Borrowing money to invest increases your risk. It is generally not a good idea even in the real world. Credit card interest rates are high and bitcoin risks are high, so borrowing from a credit card to invest in bitcoins is probably a mistake. Keep in mind that even if your bitcoin investments fall through or the value of BTC drops, you still have to pay your credit card bill monthly.

A better idea might be to figure out how much you would have to pay monthly to pay back a credit card loan, and invest that amount monthly instead of borrowing from the credit card. That way, the worst you could do is lose all your investments instead of losing everything you own.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:59:55 AM

Borrowing money to invest increases your risk. It is generally not a good idea even in the real world. Credit card interest rates are high and bitcoin risks are high, so borrowing from a credit card to invest in bitcoins is probably a mistake. Keep in mind that even if your bitcoin investments fall through or the value of BTC drops, you still have to pay your credit card bill monthly.

A better idea might be to figure out how much you would have to pay monthly to pay back a credit card loan, and invest that amount monthly instead of borrowing from the credit card. That way, the worst you could do is lose all your investments instead of losing everything you own.

+1

Don't leverage for investment...

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 05:16:02 AM

Hey guys?

Why you think that?!

Offering 4.5% a week of interest isn't a ponzi scheme...

If you let 100 BTC in my hands, I turn it into 105 in one week with purely simple (and hard) work, called "trading"... Am I running a ponzi?!   =P

Cheers!
Thiago
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 05:20:13 AM

Hey guys?

Back when savings accounts were giving 7% interest a year, I would take out credit card balance transfers and put them in the bank, then pay the minimum interest each month.  With that I had automatic payments set up and insured by FDIC.

If you look around you can get 0% balance transfers still.  Most though will charge a 3% fee.

I still would not do it by putting money into GLBSE.  First there is the bitcoin exchange rate risk and then there is the risk of losing your money to a scam.  Think about it, if you could borrow $50,000 and put in into GLBSE, why doesn't the asset creator just borrow the same way as you?

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 05:37:26 AM

Think about it, if you could borrow $50,000 and put in into GLBSE, why doesn't the asset creator just borrow the same way as you?

Mostly because banks are only lending to people who do not need to borrow. For example, I have multiple credit cards with $20,000+ limits which I have not even charged anything on for months.

But I agree about the exchange rate risk and investment risk. Zero down Bitcoin investing is not the wisest move. About the most I have done with amping my Bitcoin related investment returns is 20% LTV.

Have done the CC thing a few times. Once they even gave me miles/points for writing the checks they sent in the mail.  Grin

koin
Legendary

Activity: 873

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:49:36 AM

i'm thinking that shows that ponzi mania is in full bloom and it can only go downhill from here.  this is glbse's shoeshine boy moment.
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 11:57:43 AM

Why you think that?!

Offering 4.5% a week of interest isn't a ponzi scheme...

If you let 100 BTC in my hands, I turn it into 105 in one week with purely simple (and hard) work, called "trading"... Am I running a ponzi?!   =P

Cheers!
Thiago

Statistically wise 4.5% / week investments are unheard of.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: