Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:24:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote for 2014 Bitcoin industry awards!  (Read 3688 times)
GTA

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:23:52 AM

I'm just wondering how temporary is temporary.
I know a few people who got their money stuck there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fabiola!

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:02:21 PM

I'm just wondering how temporary is temporary.
I know a few people who got their money stuck there.

I think they're back now, the website is up again. However, I don't know if the system itself is working as I haven't tried any transactions since this incident.
fonenumba

Activity: 411
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:51:19 AM

BitPay has done more than anyone else. Even the Microsoft news can be attributed to BitPay.

http://www.coinbuzz.com/2015/01/05/bitcoin-bowls-popular-success/

More interestingly, BitPay payed for the sponsorship entirely in Bitcoin. ESPN immediately exchanged all of thew Bitcoin for US Dollars.

BitPay, the top third-party payment provider, even sponsored a Bowl game, paying ESPN for the rights entirely in bitcoins, whereupon they immediately exchanged them bitcoins using a third-party payme... Wait a second! If this trend continues, next year we may witness the Fiesta/HashTrade Bowl and the LiquidHuluBits Bowl and the Netsolus/Nectarine Bowl, all on the same day to boot, preceded by the CoinWare Parade in front of the Miami Bitcoin Embassy bearing a block-long, two-story tall banner that reads: A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

I don't even know what you're talking about Bruno? Can you be a little less cryptic and dumb it down for me?

Do you mean: Because BitPay exchanges BTC for USD they aren't doing anything valuable for Bitcoin? Streamlining merchant acceptance of Bitcoin by performing a seamless exchange function is kind of what they do for a living.  

What third-party payment provider did ESPN use when BitPay, a third-party payment provider themselves, and the one that got ESPN to accept bitcoins in the first place, paid ESPN bitcoins for the rights, whereupon ESPN immediately had the bitcoins converted to fiat and deposited into their bank account?

BitPay --> ESPN --> BitPay --> BitPay's Bank --> ESPN's Bank

or

BitPay --> ESPN --> CoinBase --> CoinBase's Bank --> ESPN's Bank

The latter wouldn't make any sense, for it was BitPay that got ESPN to accept bitcoins, not BitPay's competition, CoinBase.

The rest of the BS that I penned about CoinWare, et al., was to get you to think about the above. It doesn't make sense! BitPay could've easily just gave ESPN a check and that'll be that. But to state that they gave ESPN bitcoins whereupon the bitcoins were immediately sent back to BitPay so that a conventional fiat transfer can be made doesn't make sense on so many levels.

Just like nobody, and I mean NOBODY can open up an account at BitPay to solely convert their personal BTC to fiat, whether it's a buck, ten dollars, a grand, or a million dollars. BitPay is a third-party payment provider. The key word being third. But, supposedly unknown to BitPay, that's exactly what service they provided to Sonny Vleisides' BFL when they converted over 10 MILLION DOLLARS worth of BTC to fiat under the guise of product purchases where there is NO way that BitPay wouldn't have known that that was exactly what BFL was doing even prior to this PR release: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11283333.htm picked up by Reuters here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/31/idUSnGNX4VPYg9+1dc+GNW20131031

Again, BitPay is a third-party payment provider and not an exchange. Especially, not an exchange to convert tens of millions of dollars worth of bitcoins that were mined via ill-gotten means to fiat, of which is exactly what transpired when BFL did such virtually up to the day of the raid on their facility via the FTC.

To be clear, BitPay was a major player in a multi-ten-million-dollar money laundering scheme conducted by Sonny Vleisides' BF Labs Inc. (Butterfly Labs) and I uncovered it back in late 2013 (not 14), but nary a periodical has touched this. The question is why? And why has BitPay not answered a single email to them concerning this issue?

Bruno, you get yourself all flustered and confused then go off on a tirade. ESPN does not accept bitcoins for payment. ESPN does not have a merchant account at BitPay. None of the people involved in the Bitcoin Bowl accept Bitcoin for payment through BitPay. BitPay cannot exchange Bitcoin for them without them having an account because they would all go to jail. It was a publicity stunt that they graciously paid A HALF MILLION DOLLARS for. Part of the stunt was to pay ESPN for the event in Bitcoins. ESPN does not want Bitcoins, they want dollars. They had to go to some exchange to sell them because they have bills to pay for the event and they don't give a shit about Bitcoin. They chose Coinbase probably because they wanted assurance that they would immediately get cash for the coins. That transfer to Coinbase was probably brokered months before the event. How the fuck can you not get that!

You know that every once in a while for the last 3-4 years I've told you when you were straying a little too far from the shallow end of the pool. This is one of those times. As a friend, please chill out dude. You're freaking out a little and making conspiracy connections that simply aren't there.
I think he needs to understand that it doesn't matter the payment method that ESPN received for the sponsorship. Money as a whole is generally fungible so it doesn't matter if they were paid in bitcoin, dollars, Euros or whatever, it will eventually be turned into whatever format of money that their employees and vendors will accept as payment
CBG81

Activity: 82

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:14:45 AM

never heard of these rewards before.. How serious is this really?

Why not vote and make it serious?

Even if i could why would I make it serious when there is no info on these awards? Not my job to make it serious or trustworthy.
GTA

Activity: 90

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 02:50:25 PM

never heard of these rewards before.. How serious is this really?

Why not vote and make it serious?

Even if i could why would I make it serious when there is no info on these awards? Not my job to make it serious or trustworthy.

Well I guess you have not heard of them because they've just started them.

Why consider it a job at all? You've been asked for your opinion, if you have one.
TheDreadPirateDickstein

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 04:16:44 PM

The answer is Mt. Gox....Second Place, SR. this is an utterly stupid and pointless thread.

The industry was an industry that never existed. It's a just a big gay bullwhale club circle jerk. As I've said from day one.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    delicia | delicia.io    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Decentralized Global Food Network | World's Only Solution to Food Wastage | Join Whitelist Now, Get 30% Bonus
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Whitepaper | Telegram | Medium | Twitter | FB | ANN    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: