Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:28:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-01-16] Mainstream understands the btc block chain  (Read 952 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 03:57:06 PM

Why Bitcoin's Astonishing Price Collapse Doesn't Matter

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-bitcoins-astonshing-price-collapse-doesnt-matter-2015-1?r=US

The 'internet weirdos' of bitcoin are shaping the way money works

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/16/internet-weirdos-bitcoin-shaping-way-money-works

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 04:15:03 PM

The reason people are excited about bitcoin has less to do with bitcoin and more to do with the technology that supports it. That technology is called "blockchain." Essentially, blockchain creates a new type of internet.

*bashes head against desk repeatedly*
MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:56:16 PM

The reason people are excited about bitcoin has less to do with bitcoin and more to do with the technology that supports it. That technology is called "blockchain." Essentially, blockchain creates a new type of internet. Bitcoin is just the first application on top of the blockchain.

To look at the failure of bitcoin, and say that it was just a fad, according to Rosenberg, is to look at early web products that were bad and say, "Well, looks like the internet isn't going to work!"

I just wish others can see this and past the current price and it's true value lying in the future potential of the blockchain.

The 'internet weirdos' of bitcoin are shaping the way money works

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/16/internet-weirdos-bitcoin-shaping-way-money-works

There’s no reason to mourn the fall of bitcoin prices. Anyone who is crying over bitcoin’s recent face-plant – losing one-third of its value in two days – must be a speculator. Gambling is gambling – sorry pal. If you’re celebrating the price drop because of schadenfreude, or just straight-up skepticism about the cryptocurrency itself, you’re missing the point, too.

The nosediving price of bitcoin matters in the short term because rattled confidence hurts any currency, especially a relative newborn that is only used to grease a tiny sliver of global commerce.

In the long run, however, the price swings won’t matter.

I agree and hope they're right, though I don't like their speculation that The currency called bitcoin itself may not even matter, though I guess they could be right.

The reason people are excited about bitcoin has less to do with bitcoin and more to do with the technology that supports it. That technology is called "blockchain." Essentially, blockchain creates a new type of internet.

I think what they should have said was a new type of network.

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 05:16:34 PM

How? How can they get it so fucking wrong when there are hundreds of explanations and thousands of people all saying essentially the same fucking thing? They have access to the internet, they shouldn't be capable of getting it so fucking wrong.
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 05:19:36 PM

haha, you are pros, they not.  Smiley

they "understand" it means something like: "hey, no drugs&silk road, they dont even talk about the BTC currency alot, they talk about the BLOCK CHAIN - WOHOO!"

in 3-5 years they are perfect  Grin

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 05:35:11 PM

The point is, it's not a whole 'new' internet, it's certainly a new network and a very sophisticated network, but it's still completely reliant on being connected to the internet in order to work, for a whole seperate internet you'd have to look at stuff like mesh networks which people are prototyping.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 06:00:42 PM

The point is, it's not a whole 'new' internet, it's certainly a new network and a very sophisticated network, but it's still completely reliant on being connected to the internet in order to work, for a whole seperate internet you'd have to look at stuff like mesh networks which people are prototyping.
My bad, I did say "in a way" though Smiley

lol At least you'll admit you're wrong, these fucking journalists just make up shit and will only apologise for it when absolutely everyone calls them out on it.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:40:37 PM

Ah damn I knew that this would come back to haunt us lol.
All the statements of think of it as the internet in 1995 before it grew into what it is today
Everyone else (OH It's a new internet)

Insert head bashing lol.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:48:09 PM

Blockchains are not networks. And the principle innovation of bitcoin is not the networking aspects, novel as some of them may be.

Vires in numeris
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 09:46:09 PM

Blockchains are not networks. And the principle innovation of bitcoin is not the networking aspects, novel as some of them may be.

I tend to liken the whole idea very much to peer to peer filesharing which I think would be more accurate, the problem is though there really is no other technology like it currently, the problem is trying to simplify that down so that people actually get it which is almost bloody impossible especially if they're like the writer of that article.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 09:51:28 PM

the problem is trying to simplify that down so that people actually get it

database

Vires in numeris
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 09:54:29 PM

database

That doesn't work either, because it's not on one computer or central server as was claimed by the Guardian awhile back, like I said, this is a totally new technology.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 06:30:32 AM

Well, articles are still getting various details wrong.  But from personal experience, I'm much more educated on btc and various crypto currencies. But yeah, there's soooo much more to it.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 12:54:11 PM

database

That doesn't work either, because it's not on one computer or central server as was claimed by the Guardian awhile back, like I said, this is a totally new technology.

The blockchain is definitely a database technology. It just so happens that the guy who first used it did so for a networking application, but that doesn't stop it from being used for an application without a network.

Bitcoin is a money technology, made up of other technologies working together, one of which is blockchain storage.

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: