Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:39:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could/should Bitcoin be changed to stabilize it? How?  (Read 835 times)
TCraver (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 02:10:16 AM

Should Bitcoin be changed in some fundamental fashion, to make it more stable?  Could it?   How?

Maybe create a non-profit trust fund bank that will buy and hold capital assets to "back" BC.   Change from mining free BC, to mining a right to purchase BC at half the current exchange rate, with the income going into the bank.   Anyone could exchange their BC for their share of their current value of those capital assets (minus a 5% withdrawal penalty).  Normally the price would float somewhat above the asset value - when it rises enough, allow the bank to directly create BC and use them to purchase more assets - locking in gains and at the same time keeping the exchange rate from rising too fast, reducing the impact of speculation. 

Objections / alternatives?

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 02:58:24 AM

Should Bitcoin be changed in some fundamental fashion, to make it more stable?  Could it?   How?

Maybe create a non-profit trust fund bank that will buy and hold capital assets to "back" BC.   Change from mining free BC, to mining a right to purchase BC at half the current exchange rate, with the income going into the bank.   Anyone could exchange their BC for their share of their current value of those capital assets (minus a 5% withdrawal penalty).  Normally the price would float somewhat above the asset value - when it rises enough, allow the bank to directly create BC and use them to purchase more assets - locking in gains and at the same time keeping the exchange rate from rising too fast, reducing the impact of speculation. 

Just peg it to a major currency.  I don't know who could do this though. 
TCraver (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 02:58:11 PM

I was only proposing moderating the fluctuations, but yes, finding a way to fix the exchange rate would do that.

But that's really just sort of a way of restating the problem, isn't it? 

The question is - HOW to do it, and who has the power to do it with Bitcoin?

practicaldreamer

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 06:28:05 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2015, 07:29:28 PM by practicaldreamer

Good questions to ask.

Unfortunately i don't have any answers.

Soviet Union, via planned economy, had an autonomous currency (that couldn't be forex traded (or even leave the country)). Its value was stable. Don't know if this is at all relevant - probably not - just thinking aloud.

How could we acquire BTC if it can't be traded ? Could it be allocated according to (a pre ordained/consenually agreed upon) contribution to the network (economy in the case of the Soviet Union). Maidsafecoin (safecoin) will work in this manner, as I understand it - coin allocated according to drive space/bandwidth/cpu time etc. Of course, these things still have to be bought.

How about contributions that can't be bought ? I'm thinking of intellectual contributions being rewarded with coin. The value of the contribution would be consensually arrived at/agreed upon by each and every other participant of the network. Evolutionary, kind of.

Again, just thinking aloud - I'm sure this stuff has already been discussed elsewhere (many times)  Embarrassed

But yes, when you are relying on it to buy a loaf of bread - or pay your mortgage  -  a 20% drop in value within 2 weeks is not an acceptable characteristic of a currency.
twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:44:14 AM

I was only proposing moderating the fluctuations, but yes, finding a way to fix the exchange rate would do that.

But that's really just sort of a way of restating the problem, isn't it? 

The question is - HOW to do it, and who has the power to do it with Bitcoin?

Write a code that pegs it to USD, then have everyone hard fork.

If you want to know why major currencies are stable compared to minor ones.  It's because the corresponding economies/ govts are stable.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 07:48:10 AM

And follow the same route on what fiat is going through right now? the non-profit trust fund bank like what you say could end up as centralized bank to control flow of bitcoin. In other words, open up the possibility for manipulation? No way. Let it be in a free market.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: