Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:56:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RaspberryPi raw hashing speed for SHA1/256/512.  (Read 13943 times)
Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:12:13 AM

All right. Any place where I can acquire one with BTC? Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
echris1

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:58:27 AM

I just got an e-mail two or three days ago from Element14/Newark letting me know that instead of just registering interest you can order them now, and that is the order they will be shipped in.  No idea where I am in the queue, and they are asking for a limit of 1, but I jumped in there, I'll update when I find out some sort of ship date if anyone wants to know.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 11:23:41 AM

I'd be curious to see how much MHash/s I can get from a RaspberryPi? I would like to know how much power these things use for the MHash/s they give (with their onboard ARM/GPU is available)? If they prove to be efficient,I may get more from 3 RaspberryPi's than from my MBP?

Most laptops (and certainly all tablets) are pretty useless for BTC mining as this is GPU based whereas LTC is CPU based so the CPU of my MBP can still be useful (just). But that doesn't stop people like me from getting MHash/s out of everything I own lol.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 02:07:16 PM

It may be profitable as a CPU miner on Litecoin especially if the LTC price rises a bit?

lol I think there's a better chance of Satoshi Nakamoto trying out for American Idol (and winning)

Yeah but it may turn out as the most profitable LTC CPU miner for (kH/s)/W and if the price rises then it could become actually profitable?  Or if your just mining LTC for fun/speculation it maybe the cheapest and most efficient pieces of hardware for the job.  At £30 and 5W(I think) then it's a cheap hobby/speculation.

pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:18:41 PM

It may be profitable as a CPU miner on Litecoin especially if the LTC price rises a bit?

lol I think there's a better chance of Satoshi Nakamoto trying out for American Idol (and winning)

Yeah but it may turn out as the most profitable LTC CPU miner for (kH/s)/W and if the price rises then it could become actually profitable?  Or if your just mining LTC for fun/speculation it maybe the cheapest and most efficient pieces of hardware for the job.  At £30 and 5W(I think) then it's a cheap hobby/speculation.
Is litecoin profitable somewhere in the world?
Yesterday I did some tests and calculations for my Q6600 (intel quad core@2400MHz), if my calculations are right I use 1 euro/day electricity and when I change the litecoin for bitcoin and sell them I get 0.01 euro/day back.
If the raspberry pi would get the same hash/sec (I doubt it) and work with 0.2Watt I would break even.
matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 02:20:45 PM

Yesterday I did some tests and calculations for my Q6600 (intel quad core@2400MHz), if my calculations are right I use 1 euro/day electricity and when I change the litecoin for bitcoin and sell them I get 0.01 euro/day back.
If the raspberry pi would get the same hash/sec (I doubt it) and work with 0.2Watt I would break even.

I should have said and meant the most efficient piece of hardware not most profitable. 

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 02:40:33 PM

I should have said and meant the most efficient piece of hardware not most profitable. 

If the RaspberryPi is only 5W it would cost me less than £1 a week in electric to run it 24/7.  If it can nearly reach or beat 3kH/s I might buy one to mine LTC give it a few years and LTC will either be defunct or worth 0.1BTC each not sure yet.  At £30 to buy and a £1 a week to run I wouldn't be loosing much anyway on my hobby/speculation/gamble.

marked (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:59:20 PM

The Raspberry PI runs 5V@700mA, using a standard microUSB charger.

The memory is directly situated above the CPU, and so thermal management will play a significant role, else you really will have a dried (straw)berry.

marked

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 03:02:08 PM

The Raspberry PI runs 5V@700mA, using a standard microUSB charger.

The memory is directly situated above the CPU, and so thermal management will play a significant role, else you really will have a dried (straw)berry.

marked

So it will cost me less than £1 a week to run 24/7  Grin  Do you have any idea of its LTC hash rate yet?

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:40:21 AM

dead thread?

Sad

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 05:41:42 AM

Tried Rpi for this pupose.... It mighty je my linux skills(i have None) but neither Cgminer nor btcminer are stable for Mining ......

davidspitzer

Activity: 630

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:12:48 PM

In terms of mining, I cant see the value in actually using it to mine - or how long the ARM processor would even last under 24/7 mining conditions but it would be a neat host for a set of BitFORCE singles Smiley Smiley Smiley
It should last many years, even running at full load constantly. Pretty much all modern solid-state computer parts are designed to run at full load for years and should not suffer reduced lifespan so long as power and cooling is not sub-standard. It might throttle if it gets too hot though. That will affect its short-term performance but should not significantly affect its life.

If this is not the case of the RaspberryPi, it would only be due to almost inexcusable incompetence.

What if one uses the Raspberry Pi to connect a USB hub to it and use a dozen FPGA boards for hashing? Could it be done? Or will the unit crap up from so many boards?
The only issue I can think of would be whether the RPi can supply enough power on its USB port. Using a powered hub should solve that problem. You could also use any cheap SoHo router (with a USB port, of course) that can run Tomato USB or DD-WRT.

interesting  - i just picked up one of these to play with and use as a media player i might try it mining just for fun
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: